Golden Globe Reactions

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: Golden Globe Reactions

Post by ITALIANO »

Uri wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:But Uri... can you really think that I don't believe he should be in jail? I was saying something else... But never mind. In Italy we say, "non c'è peggior sordo di chi non vuol sentire". Except that deafness seems a bit too pervasive on this board...
Deaf or not, I will always want to hear you, if only for the lovely sound of your voice.
We will talk soon :wink:
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

ITALIANO wrote:But Uri... can you really think that I don't believe he should be in jail? I was saying something else... But never mind. In Italy we say, "non c'è peggior sordo di chi non vuol sentire". Except that deafness seems a bit too pervasive on this board...
Deaf or not, I will always want to hear you, if only for the lovely sound of your voice.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Uri wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
Uri wrote:I’ve recently tried to keep myself away from this discussion – I have other things on my mind and, basically, I’m a coward. But, one notion and I’m out of here, running.

I’ve no doubt the Marcos and Catherine Deneuves of this world can navigate their way, unprotected, in the stormy ocean of sex with aplomb. But unless it’s an Darwinian, Trumpian one, Society, when setting its rules, it’s the weakest that should be accommodated for, not the strongest.
What this has to do with the rumors about Kirk Douglas we will never know :)

Unless now you also want Roman Polansky to give back his Oscar...
In my twisted mind it has something to do with trying to understand where people come from addressing this issue at large.

And while I belive Polanski should have served a substantial prison time, as long as he was making masterpieces on the run, he, or rather his artistic achievements should have been celebrated. I was and still am an admirer of The Pianist. It deserved all the accolades and awards it got. I'm Happy we have Tess or Frantic - but the man should have been in jail instead of making them. He should have been out to make The pianist, though.
But Uri... can you really think that I don't believe he should be in jail? I was saying something else... But never mind. In Italy we say, "non c'è peggior sordo di chi non vuol sentire". Except that deafness seems a bit too pervasive on this board...
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

ITALIANO wrote:
Uri wrote:I’ve recently tried to keep myself away from this discussion – I have other things on my mind and, basically, I’m a coward. But, one notion and I’m out of here, running.

I’ve no doubt the Marcos and Catherine Deneuves of this world can navigate their way, unprotected, in the stormy ocean of sex with aplomb. But unless it’s an Darwinian, Trumpian one, Society, when setting its rules, it’s the weakest that should be accommodated for, not the strongest.

In my twisted mind it has something to do with trying to understand where people come from addressing this issue at large.

And while I belive Polanski should have served a substantial prison time, as long as he was making masterpieces on the run, he, or rather his artistic achievements should have been celebrated. I was and still am an admirer of The Pianist. It deserved all the accolades and awards it got. I'm Happy we have Tess or Frantic - but the man should have been in jail instead of making them. He should have been out to make The pianist, though.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

I’ve recently tried to keep myself away from this discussion – I have other things on my mind and, basically, I’m a coward. But, one notion and I’m out of here, running.

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

criddic3 wrote:
Picking up a 17 year old is not illegal, so if that was it there would be nothing to discuss.
In Italy it's certainly not a crime - thank God!
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

flipp525 wrote:Because we can talk about other things here besides who gave the best male lead performance in 1950.

The story of Natalie’s rape first appeared in Suzanne Finstad’s biography in 2001 (and, frankly, I’ve been hearing about it for close to fifteen years on DataLounge, a gay discussion board I frequent). The alleged rapist was her childhood idol, an unnamed, powerful, married movie star/producer. The story about her hospitalization was collaborated by her friends Jackie Eastes, Dennis Hopper, and Scott Marlowe. Natalie’s sister, Lana, said she would reveal the name of the actor once he died.

Listen, stop being so obtuse and put two and two together. What other man from that generation is even still ALIVE? At the time there were first rumblings about this, folks had narrowed down the possibilities to Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas using those factors. Lancaster died with no word from Lana. Ergo...

Of course, this is just educated speculation at the end of the day. I’m all set to be proven wrong, but I can express an informed opinion about it. I really don’t understand the need to shut down discussion of this.
Exactly. A speculation. A correct one, maybe, who knows (I don't like this kind of games and I never take part in them) - but I'm afraid we will never know for sure. Still a speculation though. And I like to think that we don't give awards, tributes, or invitation to public events (oh well, even to private parties!) based on scandalous biographies or gay discussion boards (with no explicit name, by the way). In the real, civilized world this is not acceptable. In America today it seems that it's perfectly normal, but I am not American, I will never be, so I feel free to express opinions which are absolutely balanced. I am sorry. At the cost of being called "rapist" or "pro-rape" (not by you, by others here).

And I repeat: if James Franco gave the best performance, he deserves any prizes he can get. Do you agree with this? Because this is the point.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The internet is such an interesting place these days. When I’m on Facebook, all I can think is “Calm down” but when I’m on this message board, all I can think is “Wake up.” I’m glad to be challenged, but fuck’s sake...
"How's the despair?"
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

flipp525 wrote: Lana Wood will reveal all when Kirk Douglas finally expires. And we will be re-visiting the subject (probably in this thread).
What's the point of waiting till he dies? Is she afraid of being sued for slander??

MaxWilder wrote:
Sabin wrote:James Franco (who had publicly known sexual abuse allegations for three years)
I know he was caught trying to pick up a 17 year old on Instagram. What else was there?
Picking up a 17 year old is not illegal, so if that was it there would be nothing to discuss. I will wait to see how this plays out before making my own judgment about whether James Franco deserves to be ostracized.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Because we can talk about other things here besides who gave the best male lead performance in 1950.

The story of Natalie’s rape first appeared in Suzanne Finstad’s biography in 2001 (and, frankly, I’ve been hearing about it for close to fifteen years on DataLounge, a gay discussion board I frequent). The alleged rapist was her childhood idol, an unnamed, powerful, married movie star/producer. The story about her hospitalization was collaborated by her friends Jackie Eastes, Dennis Hopper, and Scott Marlowe. Natalie’s sister, Lana, said she would reveal the name of the actor once he died.

Listen, stop being so obtuse and put two and two together. What other man from that generation is even still ALIVE? At the time there were first rumblings about this, folks had narrowed down the possibilities to Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas using those factors. Lancaster died with no word from Lana. Ergo...

Of course, this is just educated speculation at the end of the day. I’m all set to be proven wrong, but I can express an informed opinion about it. I really don’t understand the need to shut down discussion of this.
Last edited by flipp525 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

flipp525 wrote:Natalie Wood was apparently raped so violently that she had to be hospitalized because of excessive bleeding.

Lana Wood will reveal all when Kirk Douglas finally expires. And we will be re-visiting the subject (probably in this thread).
Sure. But why condemning him NOW?

Plus, shouldn't he get prizes FOR HIS PERFORMANCES for that reason? Because this was my point.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Natalie Wood was apparently raped so violently that she had to be hospitalized because of excessive bleeding.

Lana Wood will reveal all when Kirk Douglas finally expires. And we will be re-visiting the subject (probably in this thread).
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Precious Doll wrote:Kirk Douglas rumours: http://gawker.com/5893793/did-robert-do ... rutal-rape

This pretty much sums up how the rumours got started.
Well... How shall I put it... If we think we should condemn a person based on THAT we have some problems :D
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Sabin wrote:James Franco (who had publicly known sexual abuse allegations for three years)
I know he was caught trying to pick up a 17 year old on Instagram. What else was there?

Return to “90th Predictions and Precursors”