New York Film Critics Circle Winners

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: New York Film Critics Circle Winners

Post by Big Magilla »

One of the members texted during the meeting that there was a battle going on for Best Director. I was thinking Gerwig and Guadagnino. I wasn't thinking of any of the three who were really in the fight at all.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
If Stuhlbarg came that close to winning, I seriously doubt Dafoe's ability to run the table, despite his opening 1-2 punch. We were surprised that Mahershala Ali was able to sweep the way he did last year, but 1) though few of us thought Ali was so dominant as to rate such a sweep, no other candidate really came quickly to mind as alternative -- this year, both Stuhlbarg and Rockwell fill that bill; and 2) the one organization that released voting stats last year (the NSFC) had Ali besting Jeff Bridges 72 points to 18 -- a complete blowout, the widest by far in any acting category. If, as you say, Stuhlbarg almost won here, it's hard to believe he won't finish first in one of the subsequent prime match-ups.
I'm not saying Stuhlbarg almost won. My critic friend who texted his critic friend said he almost won. Did he really mean "runner up?" I don't know.

I wasted fifteen minutes yesterday looking at LAFCA critics on Metacritic to seize up their ratings on 'Three Billboards...', 'Lady Bird,' 'Get Out'...all good, all good. Then I looked up 'Call Me By Your Name' and I saw a slew of 100's. It would seem that it's going to play well there, which means Stuhlbarg could have a hometown advantage.
Mister Tee wrote
If Phantom Thread did that well in NY, how much better should he perform in LA, where he's been a booster project from Boogie Nights on?
Well, not 'Boogie Nights' on, but both 'There Will Be Blood' and 'The Master' won four and were runner up thrice. And 'Inherent Vice' picked up a music award. Something I'll be totally honest about is the fact that I have misread the room this year. I thought 'Phantom Thread' would be a bit too esoteric based on the trailer. With two writing awards, it can thus far claim "Best Written Film of the Year."
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:My critic friend contacted a member of the NYFCC for runners up.

Best Picture: Call Me By Your Name was runner up.
Best Director: PT Anderson and Nolan almost won. Explains why it took so long.
Best Supporting Actor: Stuhlbarg almost won.
Best Supporting Actress: Janney almost won.

Phantom Thread and The Post got a lot of mentions.
Thanks for this; we all live for such info.

I've updated the NYFC historical thread, including this data.

A few things I draw from this further information:

If Stuhlbarg came that close to winning, I seriously doubt Dafoe's ability to run the table, despite his opening 1-2 punch. We were surprised that Mahershala Ali was able to sweep the way he did last year, but 1) though few of us thought Ali was so dominant as to rate such a sweep, no other candidate really came quickly to mind as alternative -- this year, both Stuhlbarg and Rockwell fill that bill; and 2) the one organization that released voting stats last year (the NSFC) had Ali besting Jeff Bridges 72 points to 18 -- a complete blowout, the widest by far in any acting category. If, as you say, Stuhlbarg almost won here, it's hard to believe he won't finish first in one of the subsequent prime match-ups.

That it was Janney who finished a close second, not Metcalf, despite Lady Bird's top two prizes, tells me that supporting trophy is going to be heavily contested all the way.

If Phantom Thread did that well in NY, how much better should he perform in LA, where he's been a booster project from Boogie Nights on?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Meryl Streep lost for The Devil Wears Prada. Meryl Stree lost for Doubt. Meryl went nearly three decades before winning her third Oscar. I don't see how anyone thinks that they'll so quickly and readily give her a fourth Oscar in such quick succession when un-Oscared multi-nominees like Saoirse Ronan, Annette Bening, and Jessica Chastain are around. Saying Meryl's a slam-dunk for ANYTHING other than a nomination is essentially self-delusion.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ThePianist
Graduate

Post by ThePianist »

Mister Tee wrote:For some reason, lots of folks at AwardsWatch were convinced Streep was going to Sophie's Choice her way through the season, and they're shell-shocked by this.
A rather large portion of people on AW are rather bias when it comes to predicting. (IE: "Stanning.") Which I really don't get. Do they actually accomplish anything by doing this? (Like they have some sort of influence over what contender wins in a category.) To me, they're all SJW Celebrity-Obsessing Tumblr users who look up to Wendy William as some sort of saint.

Most of the time, It appears to be a subconscious thing. They see their "Fav"--"Queen Meryl" win the NBR; then they're all convinced she has a shot to win every award including a locked win for a 4th Oscar. They can rant and state their reasons all they want, but in reality, everybody knows the ingrained mindset behind their sad nature. In fact, I personally believe all these Janney predictions came from the same pathetic bias that grew from their site, and Twitter Posts from "Stans."

But whatever, these just my thoughts on this complex matter. I honestly don't care much for their site besides whenever I hear noise about a certain contender. (Even then, I check all sites to see what people are saying. Not just them.)
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

You rock!
Sabin wrote:My critic friend contacted a member of the NYFCC for runners up.

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

My critic friend contacted a member of the NYFCC for runners up.

"How's the despair?"
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

flipp525 wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:This isn’t on the level of Sonic’s Al Franken prediction, but I’m pretty proud of myself for predicting that Tiffany Haddish might be worth taking seriously as a contender, though I certainly didn’t think she’d take this prize. Haven’t seen the movie yet, but Supporting Actress right now strikes me as Metcalf/Janney...and then a bunch of other people, with a lot of wiggle room for any of the other possibilities (Haddish included) to make a case for themselves.
I watched Girls Trip tonight and let’s just say that Tiffany Haddish practically walks away with the whole movie. She is very funny in it and has an incredibly charming presence overall. I mean, she makes a line like “A ghost tried to fuck me” work.

A nomination for her would definitely be similar to Melissa McCarthy’s in Bridesmaids (Haddish does also have some raunchy “bathroom humor” as part of her performance). It’s a breakout performance.

Girls Trip was a major financial success, a factor that could also work in her favor.
Funnily enough I watched Girls Trip on DVD last night having missed its cinema release. Enjoyed the film immensely and agree Tiffany Haddish was the best of the ensemble. Should she be nominated her Oscar clip should be the scene of her getting fired.

Should mention that I was thrilled to see Sean Baker win. He seems one of the nicest people around making films and certainly one of the best.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

flipp525 wrote:I watched Girls Trip tonight and let’s just say that Tiffany Haddish practically walks away with the whole movie. She is very funny in it and has an incredibly charming presence overall. I mean, she makes a line like “A ghost tried to fuck me” work.
A cynic could say she’s just playing herself, but who she is is fantastic. Watch her talk show interviews on YouTube. Stephen Colbert is ga-ga for her within minutes.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The Original BJ wrote:This isn’t on the level of Sonic’s Al Franken prediction, but I’m pretty proud of myself for predicting that Tiffany Haddish might be worth taking seriously as a contender, though I certainly didn’t think she’d take this prize. Haven’t seen the movie yet, but Supporting Actress right now strikes me as Metcalf/Janney...and then a bunch of other people, with a lot of wiggle room for any of the other possibilities (Haddish included) to make a case for themselves.
I watched Girls Trip tonight and let’s just say that Tiffany Haddish practically walks away with the whole movie. She is very funny in it and has an incredibly charming presence overall. I mean, she makes a line like “A ghost tried to fuck me” work.

A nomination for her would definitely be similar to Melissa McCarthy’s in Bridesmaids (Haddish does also have some raunchy “bathroom humor” as part of her performance). It’s a breakout performance.

Girls Trip was a major financial success, a factor that could also work in her favor.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Folks leaked bits last year and it gave us a a good landscape of the best of the year.

I hope they do it again. I've been searching...but so far, nada.

Wasn't there a guy on Twitter that had good intel last year?

Big Magilla wrote:My take is that this was mostly a vote for youth. Lady Bird and Call Me by Your Name are both coming-of-age films and The Florida Project is about a six-year-old. Timothée Chalamet is the first NYFCC winner in either lead or supporting under 30 since Daniel Day-Lewis's first award (in support) at 29.

The NYFCC has always been comprised of factions. Unless some rogue critic wants to put his membership in jeopardy we won't know, as we used to, which films just bubbled under the surface in just about all the categories this year. But, wait, tomorrow will bring us the something-for-everyone Satellite Award nominations!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:What pisses me off about the Satellites is that they post their dates on their website and then utterly ignore them. They are the most disorganized, frustrating group out there.
There's that and the haphazard non-alphabetical listings within categories that is most annoying.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

What pisses me off about the Satellites is that they post their dates on their website and then utterly ignore them. They are the most disorganized, frustrating group out there.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:But, wait, tomorrow will bring us the something-for-everyone Satellite Award nominations!
Satellites were already unleashed a day or two ago. Link to a new thread I just created:

viewtopic.php?f=111&t=11037

Sabin, while Three Bllboards obviously can't be tagged a blockbuster, it's what Variety used to call an art-house hot-shot. It actually vaulted past Lady Bird last weekend in earnings despite playing at fewer theatres (and seemingly being less audience-friendly). The fact that it won the Audience Award at Toronto (and lesser ones elsewhere) suggests that, despite appearances, it may actually be more a populist movie than a critic's one.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

My take is that this was mostly a vote for youth. Lady Bird and Call Me by Your Name are both coming-of-age films and The Florida Project is about a six-year-old. Timothée Chalamet is the first NYFCC winner in either lead or supporting under 30 since Daniel Day-Lewis's first award (in support) at 29.

The NYFCC has always been comprised of factions. Unless some rogue critic wants to put his membership in jeopardy we won't know, as we used to, which films just bubbled under the surface in just about all the categories this year. But, wait, tomorrow will bring us the something-for-everyone Satellite Award nominations!

Return to “90th Predictions and Precursors”