Oscar Predictions Thread - TIFF to NBR

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Oscar Predictions Thread - TIFF to NBR

Post by Sabin »

The Original BJ wrote
I think Dafoe has a solid shot at nomination, but I'd still hesitate to call him locked up, mainly because I don't feel like I have a great idea of how strong The Florida Project will end up being. Even with critics' awards, it's not unheard of for widely-praised guys from indie movies that aren't major contenders to miss with Oscar (Buscemi, Sarsgaard, Albert Brooks, Michael Shannon two years ago).
Working against Willem DaFoe is that he doesn't so much play a character so much as lend his presence to the film in a way we haven't really seen before. I expect he will do well with critics which should help the fact that this isn't an Academy-friendly film.

I think one of the reasons why the category hasn't quite come into shape is so many of the films seemingly have two supporting performances that could end up nominated. Call Me By Your Name with Armie Hammer and Michael Stuhlbarg. The Shape of Water with Richard Jenkins and Michael Shannon. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri with Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell.
The Original BJ wrote
How serious should we be taking the push for a Supporting Actress nomination for Tiffany Haddish for Girls Trip? Earlier in the year, it seemed insane, but there don't appear to be a ton of strong candidates in that category, and she was widely singled out as a standout in a movie that was a surprise hit. (I haven't seen it to be able to comment on the performance.) She's hosting SNL this week. There aren't a ton of actors of color in the race. Could there be a scenario where enough people start asking, why not her?
I think the Screen Actor's Guild is going to nominate Tiffany Haddish for Best Supporting Actress. Since the AFTRA-merger, they've nominated more black performances and films about black people. I'm sure there are other ways to say that sentence but, y'know, what's the point? They nominated Lee Daniels' The Butler for Ensemble, Actor, and Supporting Actress. They gave Beasts of No Nation a nomination for Ensemble and Idris Elba a win as a clear rebuke to the Academy. They nominated Straight Outta Compton. They gave Best Actor to Denzel Washington for Fences. I think they'll nominate Tiffany Haddish and the film itself might be up for Best Ensemble.

Will Haddish get nominated for an Oscar? At this point, it depends on The Post and Phantom Thread. If there aren't any standout supporting female performances in either film, I think the case for Haddish will probably have to be made.

I've seen the film. It's not bad. The first twenty minutes or so are torture but I more or less got on board with its mediocrity. She's the best part of the film. She plays a trainwreck of a slut who in the film's strongest moment turns out to have an unexpected side to her that simply deepens the character more than one would think. I don't think she deserves an Oscar nomination, but then again I didn't think Melissa McCarthy deserved one for Bridesmaids, but Tiffany Haddish almost certainly will end up giving the supporting female performance of the year that audiences responded to the most.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:Do we know anything about Idris Elba's role in Molly's Game?
He's got excellent reviews. If the film takes off as a Chastain lead actress vehicle, I think he has a solid chance of tagging along -- especially given his well-publicized near-miss just two years ago.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote:How serious should we be taking the push for a Supporting Actress nomination for Tiffany Haddish for Girls Trip? Earlier in the year, it seemed insane, but there don't appear to be a ton of strong candidates in that category, and she was widely singled out as a standout in a movie that was a surprise hit. (I haven't seen it to be able to comment on the performance.) She's hosting SNL this week. There aren't a ton of actors of color in the race. Could there be a scenario where enough people start asking, why not her?
Supporting actress appears to be Allison Janney vs. Laurie Metcalf for the win, and then "others" -- Holly Hunter, Octavia Spencer and Hong Chau the most prominent, but none of those three seen as locked-in. Tiffany Haddish would seem to be in that "popular/pushed by young bloggers/not so much Oscar taste" category...but, as we know, a few such candidates have made it onto the list in recent years -- Robert Downey Jr. '08, Melissa McCarthy '11. I'd say Haddish benefits from the fact that Girls Trip is seen as a big success (esp. compared to its sister film Rough Night), and also from being one of the few African-American acting candidates this year, with some outlets already starting to pump "are we back to Oscars So White already?" stories.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I think Dafoe has a solid shot at nomination, but I'd still hesitate to call him locked up, mainly because I don't feel like I have a great idea of how strong The Florida Project will end up being. Even with critics' awards, it's not unheard of for widely-praised guys from indie movies that aren't major contenders to miss with Oscar (Buscemi, Sarsgaard, Albert Brooks, Michael Shannon two years ago).

How serious should we be taking the push for a Supporting Actress nomination for Tiffany Haddish for Girls Trip? Earlier in the year, it seemed insane, but there don't appear to be a ton of strong candidates in that category, and she was widely singled out as a standout in a movie that was a surprise hit. (I haven't seen it to be able to comment on the performance.) She's hosting SNL this week. There aren't a ton of actors of color in the race. Could there be a scenario where enough people start asking, why not her?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Do we know anything about Idris Elba's role in Molly's Game?
"How's the despair?"
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Sabin wrote:
mlrg wrote
With all this attention and social media trending about Plummer I guess we should at least start considering him as a possible supporting actor nominee.
At this point, who shouldn't we be considering a possible supporting actor nominee? I have no idea what this category is going to look like...
Both Rockwell and Dafoe seem pretty locked to me at this point. With possible backlash against Call me by your Name I'm holding my horses about Stulbargh and Hammer.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

mlrg wrote
With all this attention and social media trending about Plummer I guess we should at least start considering him as a possible supporting actor nominee.
At this point, who shouldn't we be considering a possible supporting actor nominee? I have no idea what this category is going to look like...
"How's the despair?"
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

flipp525 wrote:I think it’s a great move and Christopher Plummer’s addition will only increase the film’s value. It’s just an added bonus that he was the director’s original choice for the role.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I think it’s a great move and Christopher Plummer’s addition will only increase the film’s value. It’s just an added bonus that he was the director’s original choice for the role.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious I think it is a wrong assumption to say that Marky Mark "agreed" that Spacey's part should be reshot with Plummer implying that he wanted it done.

The producers must have decided this and both Williams and Wahlberg agreed to the reshoot since it involved only brief scenes they were involved in.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:On one hand it's Sony's money and at least it good to hear that Christopher Plummer was Ridley Scott's first choice anyway.

But it's a very radical thing to do. I admit that the film probably would have sinked without a trace at the box office with Spacey's name on it but it does seem over the top. Is this going to become the new norm? Maybe the studio's can erase Spacey from all the films he has appeared in?

There is no doubt Spacey is a predator and a creep but there are lots of them in the film industry worldwide. We just don't know who most of them are.
This is nothing but an overreaction to the situation. Spacey is not the lead. He has a few short scenes in the film (which is why Plummer can be roped in to reshoot those scenes - IMDb has already removed Spacey's name and the film is no longer listed under his name and can be found under Plummer's name now. They still have the poster up with Spacey's face though).

The film's leads are Michelle Williams and Mark Wahlberg and Spacey was hardly the film's selling point.

Such hysteria. Absurd.
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

I haven't seen Call Me by Your Name but I have a bias wrt taking the Spacey allegations' impact on its chances seriously - I wouldn't appreciate any film about this kind of intergenerational relationship that didn't treat it critically, but these particular kinds of adolescent relationships are super common for both gay men and straight women, when I was 17 I had a relationship with a 24yo guy which was magical for me in the thick of it but ultimately exploitative (read about it! - http://a-mes-amours.tumblr.com/post/935 ... name-opera). Probably a very different kind of movie but I avoided some of Gérard Blain's films as well as things like Death in Venice on principle until I gave in and watched them and loved them for their artistic qualities as well as for their commitment to critically assessing and analysing the relationships and dynamics at their core. CMBYN seems like less of a bummer than those pictures but I'm sure it's not that skeezy if so many of my other twink-avoidant gay friends love it so much. That being said, I'll admit that the straights will probably be alienated regardless of how it treats the central relationship so there probably will be a knock to its chances.

I've been thinking, what are the safest predictions to make right now?

Here's my current predictions, not "safe"

Best Picture: Call Me by Your Name, Darkest Hour, Dunkirk, Get Out, I Tonya, Lady Bird, The Post, The Shape of Water (Winner), Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
Best Director: del Toro (Winner), Guadagnino, McDonagh, Nolan, Villeneuve
Best Actor: Chalamet, Day-Lewis, Franco, Gyllenhaal, Oldman (Winner)
Best Actress: Hawkins, McDormand, Robbie (Winner), Ronan, Stone
Best Supporting Actor: Dafoe, Elba, Rockwell (Winner), Shannon, Stuhlbarg
Best Supporting Actress: Chau, Hunter, Janney (Winner), Leo, Metcalf
Best Adapted Screenplay: Call Me by Your Name (Winner), The Disaster Artist, Molly's Game, Mudbound, Wonderstruck
Best Original Screenplay: Get Out, Lady Bird, The Post, The Shape of Water, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri (Winner)

Here's what I'd guess would be the safest predictions to make now:

Best Picture: Call Me by Your Name, Darkest Hour, Dunkirk, Get Out, Lady Bird, The Post, The Shape of Water (Winner), Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
Best Director: del Toro (Winner), McDonagh, Nolan, Spielberg, Wright
Best Actor: Chalamet, Day-Lewis, Gyllenhaal*, Hanks, Oldman (Winner)
Best Actress: Hawkins, McDormand (Winner), Robbie, Ronan, Streep
Best Supporting Actor: Dafoe, Jenkins, Odenkirk, Rockwell (Winner), Stuhlbarg
Best Supporting Actress: Janney (Winner), Manville***, Metcalf, Scott Thomas, Spencer
Best Adapted Screenplay: Call Me by Your Name (Winner), The Disaster Artist, Last Flag Flying, Molly's Game, Mudbound
Best Original Screenplay: Get Out, Lady Bird, The Post, The Shape of Water, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Winner)

* Holistic critical response w genre handicaps (Franco) or bait with crap box office (Gyllenhaal)?
** or Shannon or Mendelsohn or Mitchell or Elba or is this spot up for grabs (Cranston, Rylance, Hammer, Romano)?
*** confused about the 'default' for this last spot

what do y'all think?

Btw, for my 2018 watchers, here's my new and improved 16-month-off predictions (I'm leaving off films in the 'announced' stage and ones with an unclear production status/likely 2018 release date, for now):

Best Picture:
Ad Astra
Annihilation
Backseat (Winner)
Boy Erased
Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot
First Man
If Beale Street Could Talk
Mid-90s
Radegund

Best Director:
Damien Chazelle ... First Man
Barry Jenkins ... If Beale Street Could Talk
Terrence Malick ... Radegund
Adam McKay ... Backseat (Winner)
Gus Van Sant ... Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot

Best Actor:
Christian Bale ... Backseat
Ryan Gosling ... First Man
Lucas Hedges ... Boy Erased
Rami Malek ... Bohemian Rhapsody
Joaquin Phoenix ... Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot (Winner)

Best Actress:
Cate Blanchett ... Where'd You Go, Bernadette?
Glenn Close ... The Wife
Viola Davis ... Widows
Kiki Layne ... If Beale Street Could Talk (Winner)
Natalie Portman ... Annihilation

Best Supporting Actor:
Timothée Chalamet ... Beautiful Boy
Russell Crowe ... Boy Erased
Richard E. Grant ... Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Jonah Hill ... Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot (Winner)
Corey Stoll ... First Man

Best Supporting Actress:
Amy Adams ... Backseat (Winner)
Olivia Colman ... The Favourite
Nicole Kidman ... Boy Erased
Regina King ... If Beale Street Could Talk
Katherine Waterston ... Mid-90s

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Boy Erased
Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot (Winner)
First Man
If Beale Street Could Talk
Where'd You Go, Bernadette?

Best Original Screenplay:
Ad Astra
Backseat (Winner)
High Life
Mid-90s
Peterloo
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:It's not as simple as that.

Allen's film suffered from horrible writing, not acting. He could remake it until Hell freezes over with the greatest actors in the world, but it wouldn't make it any better.
I seem to remember at least one good scene with Mia Farrow, Elaine Stritch and a discussion about a hairbrush.

Denholm Elliott is also a nice presence in the film.
Last edited by flipp525 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's not as simple as that.

Allen's film suffered from horrible writing, not acting. He could remake it until Hell freezes over with the greatest actors in the world, but it wouldn't make it any better.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The difference is that with 'All in the Money in the World,' a pedophile actor was removed and recast from the film for commercial reasons, not artistic reasons. But in 'September,' a pedophile director had actors removed and recast from the film for artistic reasons, not commercial reasons.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “90th Predictions and Precursors”