Cannes 2017

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Cannes 2017

Post by Precious Doll »

Okri wrote:
dws1982 wrote:That's cool that you get to see the entire competition lineup. I've gotten relatively deep into a few lineups, but I've never finished one. (I usually will have a few stragglers that I can't access, and then I'll get bored and move on.)
Ditto. I tried last year with 1997, but some films just couldn't be found.
I've seen 15 out of 20 from 1997 and to be honest had never even heard of 4 of the 5 I haven't seen. As is typical from that era I've seen all the prize winners though.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

dws1982 wrote:That's cool that you get to see the entire competition lineup. I've gotten relatively deep into a few lineups, but I've never finished one. (I usually will have a few stragglers that I can't access, and then I'll get bored and move on.)
Ditto. I tried last year with 1997, but some films just couldn't be found.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I managed to see everything because of festival screenings. I note that 4 years remains somewhat elusive. I was only able to see the two Netflix films because Okja was given big screen previews across half a dozen cities in an effort to promote Okja, and Sydney was one of the so that were I saw it. Whilst I was able to purchase a DVD of the Merewoitz Stories on eBay which I take it a DVD from the rental service they still run. The other two hard to see films from 2017 are Radiance, which I saw at the Melbourne Film Festival and it ended up playing the Japanese film festival a few months later in Sydney. Likewise I missed The Day After at the Melbourne Film Festival and then saw it a couple of weeks later at the Korean Film Festival which runs nationally every year. Everything else is available on DVD/Blu in English friendly additions.

I've actually managed to see every Cannes competition film from 2013 to 2017 inclusive. I'd be very surprised If I'd seen an other years or the complete lineup of a single Berlin & Venice Film Festival. I've tended to just try to stick to prize winners which can be hard enough.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

That's cool that you get to see the entire competition lineup. I've gotten relatively deep into a few lineups, but I've never finished one. (I usually will have a few stragglers that I can't access, and then I'll get bored and move on.)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I've finally managed to see all of the 2017 Cannes Film Festival competition films, having finally seen the 'new' Lynne Ramsey film. Its one of the rare occasions when I think the festival got their top prize right, as opposed to an acceptable one or something completely undeserving.

I would have awarded the following prizes:

Palme d'Or: The Square
Grand Prix: Loveless
Director: Joshua & Ben Sadie, Good Time
Screenplay: The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)
Actress: Diane Kruger, In the Fade
Actor: Louis Garrel, Redoubtable
Jury Prize: Double Lover

I do believe when awarding festival prizes that 'spreading the wealth' is a good option, where possible, even if that means honouring a lesser performance or screenplay. And sticking to Cannes rules I didn't give Claes Bangs what would be a well deserved best actor award, however Louis Garrel gives a totally engrossing and off the wall portrayal of JGL that in a film that deserves recognition and is an award worthy performance anyway.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There is no "percentage of English" rule. I quoted the exact passage from the 90th Oscar rules that just says "predominantly." And I'm pretty sure that exact wording has been in place for decades. To my knowledge, they've never set an exact percentage. The foreign language committee makes the final determination.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Oh ok, I didn't realize they changed the rules after No Man's Land.
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

Re: No Man's Land, I'm sure the percentage-of-English rule was implemented after that year.

ETA: I can't find the exact year the rule was put in place (or at least enforced more heavily), but The Band's Visit was disqualified in 2007 for having too much English dialogue and I don't remember it being that heavy on English, though it didn't deserve a nomination anyway.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

No Man's Land won the foreign language award and had quite a lot of English in it, any idea what would have been the percentage in that one?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Academy rules essentially say predominantly non-English. There is no strict definition listed, so it would be up to the branch to determine eligibility.

Here is the exact rule from the Academy's site:

"4. The recording of the original dialogue track as well as the completed picture must be predominantly in a language or languages other than English. Accurate, legible English-language subtitles are required."
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

OscarGuy wrote:I'm guessing length. IMDb says it's 142 minutes. Either that or they are angling for an Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film and maybe the only way to do that is to cut English dialogue?
Actually Wes, you could be right about the English dialogue. Depending on the Academy rules.

I did state in another post:

"Most of The Square is in Swedish. Though Elizabeth Moss, Dominic West & Terry Notary received equal top billing in the opening credits the real star of the film is Claes Bang. Moss has 4 or 5 screens, West has 2 & Notary has 1(maybe briefly in another). Everything else is in Swedish and even some of the scenes with English speaking actors have Swedish spoken (the Dominic West Q&A being a case in point)."

I've just asked my partner how much of The Square he thought was in English and he initially said 50%, then lowered it to one third of the film. My statement above that 'everything else is in Swedish' is not correct. Claes Bang who plays the lead role sometimes spoke English in other scenes. Unfortunately when we saw the film all the dialogue (including English) was subtitled. Whenever subtitles in English (or French) appear I can't help but read them regardless of what language is being spoken. So I feel like I the version I saw was overwhelmingly Swedish (with a bit of French thrown in) when they was probably not the case. But then even the first scene that features Dominic West was a mixture of English & Swedish.

So maybe the are going to tinker with the Swedish release for that purpose.

Though the film does clock in at 142 minutes it moves along very quickly and whilst I hate to see it changed, I must concede that a few minor trims to some of the longer drama scenes probably wouldn't do any damage to the film. Any cuts to the comic ones would utterly destroy it, but there are less of those and they require their length for the build-up of the unexpected.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm guessing length. IMDb says it's 142 minutes. Either that or they are angling for an Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film and maybe the only way to do that is to cut English dialogue?
Wesley Lovell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Ruben Östlund, director the Palme d’Or-winner The Square is making edits to the film.

I cannot believe this. Though it only appears to affect the Swedish release (I hope). The article contradicts itself by say the English release has been delayed but on the Swedish release is effected, so what difference it makes to international release dates?

Why? It's fine the way it is!

http://www.screendaily.com/news/the-squ ... ferrer=RSS
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

Bog wrote:Probably going to be considered a "shocker" win scenario here, but without anything seemingly singling itself out...the guy who popularized himself and is basically most known for throwing a shitfit live on the internet after an Oscar snub should have been as easy a guess as any. Especially if the jury felt the snub was unjust...which is likely a contributing factor. At the very least the jury knows they've helped to created must see television at the Oscar nom announcement. Ostlund will have upped the ante on his Cannes awards haul and added to his new Oscar candidate a pair of more widely known actors stateside from multiple (both past and current) immensely popular television programs.

Who knows what will happen if he is left off the slate this year?!
The Ostlund freakout video was a skit made as a joke and as promotion for his film.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:The Square doesn't seem like the kind of film that the Academy would embrace and being in English it won't be eligible for the Foreign Language category.
Actually, according to some sources, it's actually largely in Swedish. Only the scenes with Elisabeth Moss and Dominic West are in English and they're supporting roles. So it may qualify.
Thanks Anonymous. I was going by imdb which only states English and is no doubt in need of updating.

Return to “90th Predictions and Precursors”