Assistant

Re: ASC Predictions

Post by nightwingnova »

Arrival
La La Land
Moonlight
Silence
Nocturnal Animals
Last edited by nightwingnova on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote:It feels to me like Arrival, La La Land, and Moonlight are sure things, and then...two other movies.
Honestly, that's roughly how I feel about all the guilds this year. Add Manchester to that list, and I figure we'll see those four titles turn up most places, then it's a couple of other random films simply filling out the slate.

I remain to be sold that Hacksaw Ridge is as big a thing as the bloggers seem to imagine, but I'm feeling so little about this year's contest that I may be wronger than I've ever been.

By the way, in addition to PGA and ASC, BAFTA is announcing tomorrow morning (actually tonight on Pacific time). It's the Super Tuesday of awards season.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Might Hell or High Water show up here as well? It's made a pretty decent showing so far this season, and the Texas landscapes are a crucial element of the film.

It feels to me like Arrival, La La Land, and Moonlight are sure things, and then...two other movies.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

ASC Predictions

Post by Sabin »

I'm having a very boring day...

Simon Duggan, Hacksaw Ridge
James Laxton, Moonlight
Seamus McGarvey, Nocturnal Animals
Linus Sandgren, La La Land
Bradford Young, Arrival

Scattered thoughts...
...a surprising absence of all-stars in competition this year. I suppose the closest thing I can find is Roger Deakins for Hail, Caesar!, Vittorio Storaro for Café Society, Robert Richardson for Live by Night, Janusz Kaminski for The BFG, or Tom Stern for Sully.
...Jackie and Silence are both rocks thrown off a cliff, plummeting at faster and faster rates. It's conceivable that they both make it in. Right now, I'm thinking neither.
...Greig Fraser has been on the bubble for some time now, and this year he has both Lion and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Not sure if either one of them are flashy enough to warrant a nomination but perhaps soon.
...Hacksaw Ridge in my eye is not a special-looking movie, but Hacksaw Ridge looks poised to score quite a few below the line nominations, so Simon Duggan will likely get pulled along.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “89th Predictions and Precursors”