ACE Nominations

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: ACE Nominations

Post by Sabin »

nightwingnova wrote
While a good movie, please don't let it be a La La sweep.
I think it's too late for that.
"How's the despair?"
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

While a good movie, please don't let it be a La La sweep.

Deadpool had much more exciting editing.
Mister Tee wrote:And the winners:

Drama: Arrival
Comedy: La La Land (shocker)
Animated: Zootopia
Documentary: OJ: Made in America
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

And the winners:

Drama: Arrival
Comedy: La La Land (shocker)
Animated: Zootopia
Documentary: OJ: Made in America
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:I'm hoping that was an iPhone autocorrect fail. Thank you for correcting my grammar on "blue-hair bait" as well.
Now, that I laughed at harder than any of the nominees for best edited comedy! :D
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm hoping that was an iPhone autocorrect fail. Thank you for correcting my grammar on "blue-hair bait" as well.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:I didn't make predictions for this guild but the film I'm most surprised to see committed is Florence Foster Jenkins. We're by no means talking about the second coming of Walter Murch but this kind of blue hair-bait usually manages to elbow in.
I think you mean "omitted", not "committed", but I thought knee-jerk "blue-hair bait" nominations pretty much went out with Neil Simon. I didn't care for it very much, but I did laugh in a few places, which is more than I can say for that dumbed down version of The Jungle Book.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I didn't make predictions for this guild but the film I'm most surprised to see omitted is Florence Foster Jenkins. We're by no means talking about the second coming of Walter Murch but this kind of blue hair-bait usually manages to elbow in. This is also another minor setback for 20th Century Women.

I'm not surprised by Hell or High Water's showing at all. I think the nominees for Best Film Editing will be Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge, La La Land, Moonlight, and either Hell or High Water or Manchester by the Sea. I could make a case for either one. Working against Hell or High Water is that much of it plays out in long shots rather than tight editing. Working against Manchester by the Sea is that flashbacks aside it's very much a written film and various craft elements could get lost.
Last edited by Sabin on Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Lion, which is quickly fading!

So far, we have had Two films get Golden Globe Picture, SAG Ensemble and ACE nods...Manchester and Moonlight. Hacksaw Ridge, Hell or High Water and La La Land, each got 2/3 (as did Deadpool, but I'm counting that out). Those seem like five solid Best Picture nominees to me.
Mister Tee wrote:Unless my brain is deceiving me, it seems to include all the main Oscar possibilities.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

OscarGuy wrote:Jackie and Silence are the only two that I really think have a shot at Oscar that aren't included here. This should put an end to the thought that Hell or High Water isn't a strong Best Picture contender. Did anyone really think it had a shot in Editing?
Actually, I could easily argue for Hell or High Water under Editing -- the bank-robbery/action sequences, and the cutting back and forth between the two storylines (Pine/Foster's spree, and Bridges' investigation). That seems to me to meet the parameters of Lots of Editing that this branch often goes for. I'm not saying the film CAN'T be a best picture contender; there are plenty of people buzzing for it. I just don't think this clinches the case. (Same with Hacksaw Ridge, which I presume has battle scenes, long known to be editors' catnip.)

I guess I've become so used to Jackie being omitted that it slipped my mind here. Clearly, the cross-cutting between time-frames could/should have got it attention.

As for Silence: it appears to be dying commercially, which probably excludes it from most consideration beyond decor.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

This nomination in the Comedy category is funnier than anything in The Jungle Book.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Jackie and Silence are the only two that I really think have a shot at Oscar that aren't included here. This should put an end to the thought that Hell or High Water isn't a strong Best Picture contender. Did anyone really think it had a shot in Editing?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

ACE Nominations

Post by Mister Tee »

Unless my brain is deceiving me, it seems to include all the main Oscar possibilities.

Best Edited Feature Film (Drama)
“Arrival” (Joe Walker)
“Hacksaw Ridge” (John Gilbert)
“Hell or High Water” (Jake Roberts)
“Manchester by the Sea” (Jennifer Lame)
“Moonlight” (Nat Sanders, Joi McMillon)

Best Edited Feature Film (Comedy)
“Deadpool” (Julian Clarke)
“Hail, Caesar!” (Roderick Jaynes)
“The Jungle Book” (Mark Livolsi)
“La La Land” (Tom Cross)
“The Lobster” (Yorgos Mavropsaridis)

Best Edited Animated Feature Film
“Kubo and the Two Strings” (Christopher Murrie)
“Moana” (Jeff Draheim)
“Zootopia” (Jeremy Milton, Fabienne Rawley)

Best Edited Documentary (Feature)
“13th” (Spencer Averick)
“Amanda Knox” (Matthew Hamachek)
“The Beatles: Eight Days a Week – The Touring Years” (Paul Crowder)
“O.J.: Made in America” (Bret Granato, Maya Mumma, Ben Sozanski)
“Weiner” (Eli B. Despres)

Return to “89th Predictions and Precursors”