SAG Nominations

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: SAG Nominations

Post by Big Magilla »

danfrank wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
Not sure about Bichir either (I saw the Italian-dubbed version of his movie). Was his performance completely in Spanish?
His performance was entirely in Spanish.
Nope, Bichir's performance was primarily in English.
I need to see this again. I haven't seen it since it came out. Thinking more about it, I was wrong to say Bichir's performance was entirely in Spanish, but my recollection of it is that he spoke mostly in Spanish. Wikipedia lists him as one of 33 actors and actresses to have been nominated for a performance largely in a foreign language, some of them more than once. Melina Mercouri was the first for 1960's Never on Sunday, Marion Cottilard the last to date for 2014's Two Days, One Night.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... rformances
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Big Magilla wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
Not sure about Bichir either (I saw the Italian-dubbed version of his movie). Was his performance completely in Spanish?
Nope, Bichir's performance was primarily in English.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:As to Sasha Stone, need we be reminded that she's very much "woe is me." I don't think she's stopped bitching about Sanders/Stein since Clinton lost the election. It's getting very very old.
Tying the two together, this is what she posted today:

Ugh awards season is going to make me watch Captain Fantastic starring a Jill Stein voter. Says my friend Max Weiss in her review, "Captain Fantastic is about a Noam Chomsky-loving father who raises his kids off the grid and teaches them to greet each other with, “Power to the people!" Yeah no. I don't think so people. I was just traumatized by a horrible election that handed the win to a guy who admitted he sexually assaulted women, pathologically lied and is still lying, that's just for starters.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

These people who get the big bucks for doing what we do for fun have to have something to keep their names in the conversation.

Instead of praising the SAG/AFTRA membership for honoring true ensembles they denigrate them for not jumping on the bandwagon of the films whose producers are supporting them with full page ads for their already highly touted films. It's sick.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Sabin wrote:If you want a perfect example of how what we do as a past-time should be mocked into the ground, look no farther.

http://www.awardsdaily.com/2016/12/14/t ... est-boost/

"Perception is still everything. Unfortunately, La La Land missing in ensemble, for whatever reason, is not a good thing. It just isn’t — can it overcome? Well, sure. Movies have in the past. But that is a big big big big stat. Which would mean, to my thinking, Best Picture is down to: Moonlight, Manchester by the Sea and Fences. And in the year following the Oscarssowhite hashtag is that a big surprise? No, not really." ~ Sasha Stone

So let me get this straight...
7 Golden Globe Nominations.
8 Critic's Choice Awards.
Biggest per-screen opening of the year.
Major critic's awards in a year with several other viable alternatives.
But it wasn't nominated in a category it was basically not eligible for, so it's done.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't pay attention to precedents. For instance, The Revenant's lack of a writing nomination was a real sign it wasn't a sure thing. But not this.

This Sasha Stone is only slightly less stupid than those who write comments to her posts. In the same place she says that Donald Trump won because he was perceived as the underdog (very subtle political analysis) and that the same happens often at the Oscars too - which means that the least-favorites usually end up winning..! Now - in which universe can such a person be considered an authority on film prizes?! Only the same universe where a Donalf Trump can be elected President, I'm afraid.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I've corrected my post. I thought Frida was entirely in Spanish, which is why I included Molina. I've added Troisi in as well. Not sure how I missed him.

It doesn't change the stats at all, just who was listed.

As to Sasha Stone, need we be reminded that she's very much "woe is me." I don't think she's stopped bitching about Sanders/Stein since Clinton lost the election. It's getting very very old.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

If you want a perfect example of how what we do as a past-time should be mocked into the ground, look no farther.

http://www.awardsdaily.com/2016/12/14/t ... est-boost/

"Perception is still everything. Unfortunately, La La Land missing in ensemble, for whatever reason, is not a good thing. It just isn’t — can it overcome? Well, sure. Movies have in the past. But that is a big big big big stat. Which would mean, to my thinking, Best Picture is down to: Moonlight, Manchester by the Sea and Fences. And in the year following the Oscarssowhite hashtag is that a big surprise? No, not really." ~ Sasha Stone

So let me get this straight...
7 Golden Globe Nominations.
8 Critic's Choice Awards.
Biggest per-screen opening of the year.
Major critic's awards in a year with several other viable alternatives.
But it wasn't nominated in a category it was basically not eligible for, so it's done.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't pay attention to precedents. For instance, The Revenant's lack of a writing nomination was a real sign it wasn't a sure thing. But not this.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:Wasn't Alfred Molina's performance in English?
Yes. As far as I know, the English actor (of Spanish and Italian heritage) has never been in a foreign language film.
Exactly. He has played lots of ethnic roles, but always in his (your) language.

One name missing from the list is Massino Troisi in Il Postino.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Reza wrote:I still don't understand how all of you knew Huppert would not be nominated. Do the SAGs avoid foreign film performances?
1. Generally, foreign language films have a harder time with guilds.

2. Generally, smaller films have a harder time with guilds.

3. Generally, films with later releases have a harder time with guilds.

In this specific case, Elle was the least widely-screened of the candidates, with the exception of 20th Century Women (also ignored here). Huppert's a legend and that's what's powering her through this race - SPC has wisely highlighted that, the critics fell in line immediately and have pushed that narrative - but there's only so many slots and we've got five actresses (Adams, Bening, Huppert, Negga, Streep) competing for three slots. That it was Blunt that took a spot almost helps Huppert because she was unlikely to score here anyway, whereas if Negga or Bening had, it gives them a bit more "lock" veneer.

Nothing will annoy me more than the realization that the actor who played "Little" in Moonlight wasn't eligible as part of the ensemble.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:
Yes. As far as I know, the English actor (of Spanish and Italian heritage) has never been in a foreign language film.
Exactly. He has played lots of ethnic roles, but always in his (your) language.

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sabin wrote:
flipp525 wrote
Sabin, that was, like, my first post on the subject of Best Actress this season!
But that's how thoughtful you are! Even when it's your first post, it's just too much. I was paying you a compliment, dawg.
Ha, I know! Just kidding with you.

Great breakdown of the latest developments in your last post.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Wasn't Alfred Molina's performance in English?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Foreign performers at SAG

First handed out in 1994. The performers for or in foreign language films that have been nominated at SAG:
1995 - Massimo Troisi - The Postman (lost)
1998 - Roberto Benigni - Life Is Beautiful (won)
1998 - Life Is Beautiful (lost)
2004 - Catalina Sandino Moreno - Maria Full of Grace (lost)
2006 - Penelope Cruz - Volver (lost)
2007 - Marion Cotillard - La Vie en Rose (lost)
2011 - Demian Bichir - A Better Life (lost)
2012 - Marion Cotillard - Rust and Bone (lost)

That's it. Eight total across 23 years. Eight nominations out of 570 nominations (approximate as there were a couple of years with more than 5 nominees and this doesn't include stunt ensemble). Once only in Best Cast. Only one of these actually won.

The bonus is, apart from Molina and Cotillard (Rust and Bone), every one of these was Oscar nominees.

The point is: SAG doesn't like to recognize foreign language performances. THIS is why no one was confident in predicting Isabelle Huppert for a nomination. This just helps quantify the reason for the belief that they don't.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote: Also happy to see Lucas Hedges here, though he faces the hurdle of AMPAS' odd aversion to adolescent performances (though I believe he's actually 20, his character could cause him the same fate as Shailene Woodley/Andrew Garfield).
He'll turn 20 on New Year's Day.

Return to “89th Predictions and Precursors”