Tenured

Re: Golden Globe Nominations

Post by Okri »

So what wins best picture, drama?
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

flipp525 wrote:Well, I suppose we need a new Pia Zadora.
Speaking of, here is an archived People article about Zadora's Golden Globe win:

http://people.com/archive/how-did-actre ... l-17-no-7/
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Lily Collins is nominated? Okay, that's pretty much the absolute zenith of nepotism. She is godawful in Rules Don't Apply (neither does talent apply apparently). There's a scene where she's dumping her boyfriend and rattles off five different thoughts seemingly at once. They all sound completely the same - totally memorized and monotone. She was desperately trying to remember this laundry list of things and to say them in a bitchy tone and it really struck me in that moment how fake and untalented she is. Not to mention how overwritten Warren Beatty's script was.

Well, I suppose we need a new Pia Zadora.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:I pointed at Simon Helberg as a strong possibility for year-end awards consideration the day after I saw FFJ. Just for the record.
He's actually the only one who makes it easy to sit through that lousy film.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I pointed at Simon Helberg as a strong possibility for year-end awards consideration the day after I saw FFJ. Just for the record.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I can't get my head around the Simon Helberg nomination...and then I began to wonder if we've been underrating this thing's chances. Sure, Streep for Actress (perhaps over Negga), but Helberg as well. There's certainly nobody in the Best Supporting Actor mix that's doing anything like what he does. He's the lone comic turn. His film is a creaker for blue hairs. Deaf (literally deaf) Academy voters could enjoy his performance.

Hugh Grant probably has the weakest chance but he's the best in the film for sure.
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Sabin wrote:I'll toss out someone else that had a bad day. Michael Keaton. People haven't discovered or made up their mind about The Founder, so any traction for him could position him as Casey Affleck's main competition especially in the midst of his comeback. But that didn't happen.
I think this was a situation where The Weinstein Company clearly blew the proper release date. The Founder is nothing great -- not down there with The Blind Side, but in generally bland Saving Mr. Banks territory -- but if it had opened in August as originally planned, people no doubt would have been talking about Keaton as a possibility simply on the basis that it's Michael Keaton in the central role in a biography. He very likely could have gotten one of the spots that went to Edgerton or Mortensen this morning. (Along the same lines, McConaughey in Gold could have benefitted in the same way.) But year-end releases often need more critical cheering to cut through the clutter, and these movies just aren't at the level usually required to reap nominations without much of a runway.

OscarGuy, the score to Nocturnal Animals is indeed pretty great.
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

Loving the fact the Huppert got in, I want to see her go all the way and win the gold in February.

Octavia Spencer really took me by surprise, I thought if anything that Janelle Mone would have been in that spot.

My biggest WTF moment was not seeing Taraji P Henson in the mix for Lead Actress- in the drama category I probably would have taken out Adams for Henson
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'll toss out someone else that had a bad day. Michael Keaton. People haven't discovered or made up their mind about The Founder, so any traction for him could position him as Casey Affleck's main competition especially in the midst of his comeback. But that didn't happen.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I loved Nocturnal Animals. It's a unique experience, for something constructed so traditionally. It has its bizarre elements, but the performances are all top-notch. And that score. God, what a wonderful score. Right now, it's my favorite over Jackie.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The Original BJ wrote
When Supporting Actor was the first big category read, and Helberg and Taylor-Johnson -- two names I hadn't even considered -- were announced, I wondered if this was going to be a morning that completely reset our ideas of the race.
Last year, the Globes nominated Paul Dano, Idris Elba, and Michael Shannon, but called Rylance and Stallone.
The Screen Actor's Guild nominated nominated Elba, Shannon, and Jacob Tremblay, but called Bale and Rylance.
The BAFTA's nominated Elba and Benicio Del Toro, but called Bale, Rylance, and Mark Ruffalo.
The Critic's Choice nominated Dano and Shannon, but called Ruffalo, Rylance, Stallone, and Tom Hardy.
...last year, it never crossed my mind that one day, I would consider predicting that category a "piece of cake" let alone one year later.
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

When Supporting Actor was the first big category read, and Helberg and Taylor-Johnson -- two names I hadn't even considered -- were announced, I wondered if this was going to be a morning that completely reset our ideas of the race. It turns out that, for the most part, the nominations went about as expected, with the usual wiggle room on the margins.

La La Land, Manchester by the Sea, and Moonlight were the three front-runners before this morning, and scored nominations across the board.

My big disappointment, of course, was that Jackie coughed up a single measly nomination for its star. My consolation at the moment is that this is exactly the track record Capote and Milk had at the Globes, and both went on to far greater success elsewhere.

Nocturnal Animals is an ugly movie, and the pair of nominations for Tom Ford, as well as Taylor-Johnson (the actor most connected to the movie's vileness) were also low points. And I guess now I really do have to see Hacksaw Ridge.

The Director/Screenplay match-up is interesting -- not just 4/5 movies nominated, but 4/5 of the same people.

I thought Hell or High Water would be too small for the Globes (like say, Winter's Bone), but its Best Picture nomination keeps it chugging along quite solidly. Conversely, even though the Globes went for Mad Max last year, they haven't been too blockbuster/sci-fi obsessed over the years, and I don't view Arrival's miss as anything fatal.

Silence and Sully blanked completely. So did Love & Friendship, which really could have used a boost to try to get into that Adapted Screenplay race come Oscar time.

The Huppert train keeps chugging along splendidly. I still have my doubts about whether SAG will go for her, but at this point she's running ahead of Riva and Rampling in their years.

Am I the only one who thought Simon Helberg was just awful in Florence Foster Jenkins? Really hoping that's a Will Ferrell/The Producers kind of Globe nomination, and he disappears from the race immediately.

Kris Tapley had reported the HFPA went wild for Hidden Figures, and predicted it across the board -- its nomination haul today is more in line with my feeling after I saw the movie, that it's likely to be a popular hit but not much of an awards player. Octavia Spencer is basically just replaying her character from The Help, but I agree with Sabin's thinking -- filling a wide open slot with a popular past winner seems like a likely outcome.

Jessica Chastain's buzz has been pretty quiet, but this nomination at least proves her candidacy isn't dead.

Of all the nominations Rules Don't Apply could have received...Lily Collins? Did voters just think Warren would already be showing up with Annette, so he didn't need his own nomination?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

IT WAS A GOOD DAY FOR...

-- Viggo Mortensen in Captain Fantastic. It's not just that this was a big help for his chances, but a big story today will be TOM HANKS LOSES NOMINATION TO VIGGO MORTENSEN. That's visibility in a race where the only question is "Who will lose to Casey Affleck?"

-- La La Land (7), Moonlight (6), and Manchester by the Sea (5). If there are three, it's these.

-- Hell or High Water (3). If there are four, this is certainly it.

-- Hacksaw Ridge (3). My screener just arrived, so I haven't seen it yet, but it's getting nominations and mentions everywhere. Can Arrival, Fences, or Silence claim that?

-- Florence Foster Jenkins and Lion. Two lightweights that pulled in four nominations.

-- Octavia Spencer, who firmly steps one foot ahead of Janella Monae for Hidden Figures. Best Supporting Actress looks like it has four strong contenders (Davis, Harris, Kidman, and Williams) and one open slot. There's no reason why it shouldn't go to previous winner Octavia Spencer.

-- Also, diversity. I could be wrong but Best Supporting Actress this year is probably the first lineup of nominees that has more black performers than white performers.

-- Nocturnal Animals. It didn't get a Best Picture nomination but three ain't bad. Screenplay, Director, and Supporting Actor...for Taylor-Johnson? Was he good?

-- Deadpool. It was one of the real hits of the year when you adjust for budget, a studio taking a big risk on an R-Rated superhero movie, and...most moviegoers really liking it and feeling like they saw something new. It's a victory lap for a deserved victory.

IT WAS A BAD DAY FOR...

-- Silence. Did they see it in time?

-- Arrival (2) and Fences (2). Yes, they saw them. They still have rebound opportunities coming up.

-- Well, let's say it wasn't a great day for Jackie (1) or Loving (2). These two movies could be doing a lot better than just being seen as performance pieces.

-- Tom Hanks and Sully. I remember watching him on SNL a couple of months ago. He killed as usual, but there was one sketch where he played Captain Sully as an entitled dick that just felt kind of muted, and now we know why. This isn't going to be one of his beloved performances.

-- Warren Beatty. Yes, Rules Don't Apply was a disaster, but it got a nomination for Lily Collins. This might be Warren Beatty's last time on the big screen. He lost out on a nomination to Jonah Hill for War Dogs and Ryan Reynolds for Deadpool.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Funny, I changed one prediction late last night after watching the Broadcast Critics' awards (I refuse to call them the Critics' Choice since they don't represent all critics). I replaced Hailee Steinfeld with Kate Beckinsale in Best Actress - Comedy, so of course they went and nominated Steinfeld and not Beckinsale. This kind of thing happens every time I make a last minute change!

Surprises:

No Lucas Hedges - they've been ignoring his dad, Peter Hedges (writer of What's Eating Gilbert Grape, About a Boy, Pieces of April) for as long as they've been falling all over Johnny Depp and Leo DiCaprio

Viggo Mortensen over Tom Hanks for Best Actor - Drama

Tom Ford for Best Director but no Michael Shannon for Supporting Actor for Nocturnal Animals

Octavia Spencer over Janele Monae for Hidden Figures

Continued strength of Mel Gibson on directors' short list

Return to “89th Predictions and Precursors”