Re: Visual Effects Shortlist

Post by Sabin »

Didn't help Tron: Legacy.
"How's the despair?"
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

I had forgotten about the actor recreations. Frankly, then, Rogue One should be a shoo-in just for these feats.
anonymous1980 wrote:I've just seen Rogue One. I believe some people have been complaining about them resurrecting Peter Cushing. I can't help but wonder if that will win them more votes or cost them the nomination.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I've just seen Rogue One. I believe some people have been complaining about them resurrecting Peter Cushing. I can't help but wonder if that will win them more votes or cost them the nomination.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The shortlist narrows to ten:

“Arrival”
“The BFG”
“Captain America: Civil War”
“Deepwater Horizon”
“Doctor Strange”
“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”
“The Jungle Book”
“Kubo and the Two Strings”
“Passengers”
“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Being a blockbuster moviegoer, I've seen 13 of these. 2 others haven't released yet (Rogue One and Passengers) that I will be seeing before year's end. Basically, I haven't seen Alice, BFG, Deepwater, Jungle Book, or Sully.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The only films I feel the most confident in are Doctor Strange and The Jungle Book. Although nobody has seen it, I'm guessing Rogue One probably has a nomination sewn up as well. I'd feel more confident in Arrival if the aliens weren't so complimented by the mood of the film that the direction, cinematography, and music provide, but maybe that's reason enough to feel confident.

I've seen Batman v Superman, Deadpool, Suicide Squad, Sully, and X-Men: Apocalypse and I feel good about losing all of them from the last. I haven't seen Alice Through the Looking Glass, The BFG, Kubo and the Two Strings, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, or Warcraft but they seem like they have strikes against them.

So, that's Civil War, Deepwater Horizon, Fantastic Beasts..., Passengers, and Star Trek Beyond. Deepwater Horizon seems more like an achievement in audio. Somebody can feel free to correct me on that one. The previous two Star Trek films scored nominations but they were J.J. Abrams films and this one is Justin Linn. Again: someone who's seen it can feel free to correct me. Captain America: Winter Soldier got a nomination (which was unexpected by me) in what I think was a weaker field, so Civil War has a good chance but I think it's between Fantastic Beasts... and Passengers. My guess is it goes to Fantastic Beasts..., but until we see Passengers and Rogue One, it's going to be hard to guess.

...it occurs to me that truly this category and only this character is where Oscar viewers are going to see the movies that they watched this year.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Coraline was shortlisted in 2009 as well.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Wow, I'd completely forgotten that!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

FilmFan720 wrote: Am I misremembering, or is Kubo the first animated film to get this far in the category?
The Nightmare Before Christmas went as far as an actual nomination.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Visual Effects Shortlist

Post by FilmFan720 »

The 20 films competing for Visual Effects nods was released.

Am I misremembering, or is Kubo the first animated film to get this far in the category?

“Alice Through The Looking Glass”
“Arrival”
“The BFG”
“Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice”
“Captain America: Civil War”
“Deadpool”
“Deepwater Horizon”
“Doctor Strange”
“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”
“Independence Day: Resurgence”
“The Jungle Book”
“Kubo and the Two Strings”
“Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children”
“Passengers”
“Rogue One”
“Star Trek Beyond”
“Suicide Squad”
“Sully”
“Warcraft”
“X-Men: Apocalypse”
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “89th Predictions and Precursors”