NYFCC Winners

nightwingnova
Assistant

Re: NYFCC Winners

Post by nightwingnova »

Incomplete, but still a godsend. Seems reliable enough.

Gives me (where most of the noted movies haven't opened yet) a good sense of those playing in the remaining month of 2016 which I should see.

No surprises, but good confirmation in the picture and director categories.

Stating that Negga was in the mix doesn't tell us much. Who were the others? Was she just "in the mix" or competitive?

Would've appreciated news on featured actor and actress too.

Still, wonderful to have considering that the NYFCC has tightened secrecy in recent years.

Mister Tee wrote:Since some (including me) like as much background info as possible, this (can't vouch for its accuracy) was put online:

http://www.mrruimy.com/2016/12/behind-c ... nyfcc.html
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Bless you!
Mister Tee wrote:Since some (including me) like as much background info as possible, this (can't vouch for its accuracy) was put online:

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Since some (including me) like as much background info as possible, this (can't vouch for its accuracy) was put online:

nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

End of the day and bummed. No leaks about runners up. :(
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Sabin wrote: Best Supporting Actor - Mahershala Ali, Moonlight
Just watched Moonlight earlier today. (Only my 4th film of 2016.)

VERY happy for this win, and would love to see Ali nominated for an Oscar.
Excuse me for my brain fart. I got him mixed up with Andre Holland. Never mind....

*slinksaway*
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sabin wrote: Best Supporting Actor - Mahershala Ali, Moonlight
Just watched Moonlight earlier today. (Only my 4th film of 2016.)

VERY happy for this win, and would love to see Ali nominated for an Oscar.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Some thoughts on Moonlight vs. Carol (which I acknowledge is reductive, but...):

1. We don't know how well Moonlight will do with Oscar, so it's hard to make the argument yet that it will unquestionably succeed where Carol failed. At this point last year, things looked like pretty smooth sailing for Carol. So...you never know.

2. This year is a lot less competitive than last year. Even though I preferred Carol to all of the Best Picture nominees last year, I can acknowledge the eight movies that did place weren't exactly place-filler. This year, they'd really have to go pretty far down the Metacritic scale to find a slate of movies more acclaimed than Moonlight.

3. This is obviously nothing more than anecdotal evidence, but last year, many people in my real life (i.e. industry circles) expressed to me they thought that Carol was a bore. But I hear mostly rapturous buzz about Moonlight. It seems to me that Carol was more of a cinephile obsession, whereas Moonlight is connecting emotionally to a much wider range of people. So, I wonder if Carol's failing wasn't entirely a gay/female thing (though probably that didn't help) as a Todd Haynes thing.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
Mostly down-the-middle choices (I believe Sabin went 4 for 4 in the acting categories, for which, kudos).
Thanks! I went 8/12. Probably my best showing at a critic's group, missing Best Film, Best Foreign-Language Film, Best First Film, and not predicting Best Animated Film. I'll cite Precious for predicting that Isabelle Huppert would win for both Elle and Things to Come.

The big winner of the day is probably Isabelle Huppert. Every year or so, there's talk of a grande dame getting recognition for a legendary career. Sometimes it connects, like Charlotte Rampling last year, but sometimes it's just talk that's quickly forgotten. With a NYFCC and a Critic's Choice nomination to the already young season, she seems to have at least some footing in a very competitive race.

If I had to pick a runner up for big winner, I might say La La Land. I've thought of it as the presumptive front-runner since its release, but the past couple of weeks has been more dominated by talk of Fences and Silence, and the past couple of days it seemed to be dwarfed in the critic's communities by Manchester and Moonlight.

But the more I think about it, I think my runner up for best day would have to be Mel Gibson. Sure, Hacksaw Ridge didn't factor into New York voting (I mean, until we see the runners up, but not likely) but it was honored by the National Board of Review and it pulled in seven nominations from the Critic's Choice Awards. That's more than any film besides Arrival, La La Land, and Moonlight. These aren't the most meaningful awards in the world, but come January, Mel Gibson is going to be sitting in the audience and applauded for his talents. That's a huge step towards rehabilitation for a career that I think many of us thought was beyond rehabilitation.

If there's a loser, I think it's ABC. Anyone But Casey. We're new into this race, but Best Actor looks increasingly like Casey Affleck and four other people who aren't going to win. Every association, circle, and society that goes with Casey Affleck, is a massive missed opportunity for anyone else to probably lock a nomination down. If Viggo Mortensen wins in Los Angeles, the headline will read "Someone Besides Casey Affleck Actually Wins."

If there's another loser, it's Silence. They saw it in New York and then gave it nothing.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

They came, they saw, they kept their silence.

The only surprise for me is La La Land. If L.A. picks it as well, which I suspect it will, it becomes the presumptive favorite that many already believe it is.

I anticipated Affleck, Hupper, Williams and Jenkins - Ali would have been my second runner-up prediction behind Bridges and Hedges.

If Trump can be elected president for doing far worse than Affleck is alleged to have done with those two women six years ago, nothing is going to stand in his way of winning an Oscar other than maybe a complete shutout by La La Land with Gosling and Stone winning top acting honors.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Like Mister Tee, I watched the prizes come out one by one and assumed Manchester/Moonlight would be competing for the top awards. Once Moonlight snagged Director, I figured it would be a repeat of NBR's split, so La La Land's victory struck me as a slight surprise, after its shut-out down ballot. As Tee said yesterday, this prize puts La La Land in the position The Artist was -- it's a crowd-pleaser, for sure, but viewed as an aesthetically superior one, and I'd imagine this sets the film up to be in the thick of the Best Picture conversation as predicted.

The Best Actress prize continues a great day for Isabelle Huppert, who really seems to be making a serious run at this nomination. I think she may have hurdles up ahead -- I'll be pretty surprised if SAG goes for her -- but the push to make her a central part of this awards conversation is clearly working so far.

This group often goes foreign/arty for Animated Feature, so this prize must be seen as a leg up for Zootopia, which I imagine will face off with rival Disney production Moana in the televised awards.

It probably says a lot about the slim pickings of this year that nothing really out-there emerged in any category after either NBR or NYFCC. It seems like there just aren't that many options for critics, though I'd very much like to see Jackie pick up something major at either LA or National Society.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Just when it seemed Zootopia's win in animated was going to be the unexpected pick of the day...La La Land zooms in to rewrite the lead. And, ooh...somebody's bound to bring up "split the vote", and restart that old argument. (Sure hope we get some backstage info on the voting -- in all categories, but especially this one.)

Mostly down-the-middle choices (I believe Sabin went 4 for 4 in the acting categories, for which, kudos).

All credit to Isabelle Huppert -- who's been famous most of my adult life, and is getting her first recognition from a major US critics' group. But, like last year, when I couldn't believe Cate Blanchett's Carol performance didn't win her a single critics' prize, I'm amazed that Natalie Portman could get the rapturous sort of reviews she's received for Jackie and possibly suffer a similar shut out. (I'm assuming LA, with its subtitle bias, is locked in for Huppert, and the National Society seems her turf, as well.)

There are threats Casey Affleck is going to be pummeled with sexual harassment reports, which could get very ugly -- but if he's the unanimous critics' choice (which certainly appears the case), is there any way to stop him regardless?

Moonlight is obviously largely loved -- scoring well with every group so far -- and that may prevent it from suffering Carol's fate with DGA/PGA/AMPAS. Could one then make the case that it wasn't the gay thing with Carol but the female thing?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

La La Land.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Wow - so this Isabelle Huppert thing does seem to be happening.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Director -- Barry Jenkins, Moonlight
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Actress --Isabelle Huppert for Elle and Things to Come