Cannes Winners

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: Cannes Winners

Post by ITALIANO »

Precious Doll wrote: his Danish films from the 1970's
Dutch :)

But you are right - interesting director whose European films should be more considered.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I followed the festival but more so to take note of films to look out for viewing in the future.

The Loach win was too big a surprise. It got very decent reviews and festivals juries do tend to go for 'socially relevant' material some years. I suspect they picked something that will go down as a fairly deserving winner, unlike last year's surprise winner Dheephan which won over Carol for crying out loud. (The story behind that Jury may make an interesting film in 30 or 40 years time).

I was hoping the Paul Verhoeven's Elle would win based partly on it's excellent reviews and given Verhoeven has never won the top prize at Cannes. People tend to forget or haven't seen his Danish films from the 1970's when he was at his peak.

Whilst the Dolan film was widely panned Sean Penn's The Last Face, his first directorial effort since Into the Wild, got what must be some of the worst reviews in the history of the Cannes Film Festival. Oouch, they are bad enough to prevent him even getting finance again to direct another film. Can't help but feel sorry for him as he put some of his own money into the picture.

The Dolan win was a surprise as was the Best Actress award for the Brillante Mendoza film.

My overall impression of reviews that I read was that it was a better line-up than last year but far from vintage.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Yeah, I realize there was some basis for disquiet -- the Dolan & Assayas films got some of the worst response at the festival, and the Ade movie was if not the most-acclaimed, at least one of the most, yet left with nothing. But the Loach film was highly praised, yet the AW consensus was a collective groan. (Perhaps accentuated by the fact that Mel Gibson was the presenter. Who thought that was a good idea?)

Favorite image from the LiveStream: a random shot of a young woman-in-audience, wearing a burqa and checking her iPhone. You couldn't ask for a better illustration of modernity on the march.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

In fairness, most of the people who have seen the movies are also upset. Cahiers called it a "beautiful festival marred by a blind jury"

Personally, the films I was excited for before I still am excited for, though the Dardenne and Dolan took a major step back overall, despite the prize for the latter. I thought Shahab Hosseini was amazing in A Separation, so I cheered a bit at his prize.

There was a snarky twitter that suggested that more Americans had seen The Limey than any Ken Loach film. I was staggered to check box office mojo and see just how little his films made, to be honest.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Cannes Winners

Post by Mister Tee »

Do we need a new section for 89th Predictions & Precursors? Feel free to move this if it's created.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/canne ... 201780561/

I'm guessing, by the silence here, that others, like me, weren't following this all that intently this year. Though the Awards Watch folk are, as usual, screaming to high heaven about the stupidity of the jury for not picking the films they prefer even though they haven't seen them.

Return to “89th Predictions and Precursors”