Trivia

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Trivia

Post by Mister Tee »

Okri wrote:In terms of straight dollars or multiplier? Because Return of the King outgrossed Lost in Translation by 330 million, but a lower factor.
Yes, that would be the bigger one in dollar terms, and -- since I couldn't let the matter rest, and went digging myself -- Gods and Monsters (c. $6.4 million) vis a vis Shakespeare in Love ($100 million) has a higher percentage difference (and is the same Original outgrossing Adaptation situation I mentioned). So, not quite a record either way, but still very unusual.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

In terms of straight dollars or multiplier? Because Return of the King outgrossed Lost in Translation by 330 million, but a lower factor.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

So, here's one I don't have the patience to look up, but wouldn't the earnings gap between the Adapted and Original Screenplay winners have to be one of the largest ever (c. $17 million for Call Me by Your Name, $176 million for Get Out)? It feels especially unlikely for the Original winner to be the one so far ahead.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

inky wrote:So this is the end of the 9th decade of Academy Awards. Had been wondering whether the average numbers of awards won by individual best pictures across the decade is the lowest among all 9 decades (thanks to the preferential ballots). The statistics:

(From lowest to highest)

1. 1st decade: 2.4
2. 9th: 4.3
3. 2nd: 4.7
4. 5th: 4.8
5. (tie) 8th & 3rd: 5.3
7. 6th: 5.9
8. 7th: 6.2
9. 4th: 7
This decade, even while finishing second lowest, was substantially boosted by Slumdog's 8-award sweep right at the start of the stretch -- simply eliminating it brings the average own under 4. And, for the past 6 years, the average is a miniscule 3.17. Strange times.

On the other end, I'm not surprised to see the 4th decade finish on top. It included what were for years the top three winners (Ben-Hur 11, West Side Story 10, Gigi 9), and even after that had Lawrence of Arabia's 7 and My Fair Lady's 8. Since these were my first years with the Oscars, I figured such sweeps were normal. Midnight Cowboy and The Godfather being limited to 3 each were the real surprises.

Something extremely trivial that I'm surprised I didn't notice before: the two actors who played Juno's parents have now both gone on to supporting Oscars.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

2017 is the first time since 1997 that the four Oscar winning actors did won not a single award from the three main critics groups (NY, LA & NSFC).

In 1997 the winners were (Nicholson, Hunt, Williams, Basinger). Prior to that the only other the that has happened in is 1988 (Hoffman, Foster, Kline & Davis).

So since 1977 when the LA film critics started giving supporting awards, this has only happened three times.

Ironically, since 1977, only in 3 years have all the Oscar winning acting awards have been won by actors that also won or more of the same critics awards: 1977, 1980 & 1983.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

So this is the end of the 9th decade of Academy Awards. Had been wondering whether the average numbers of awards won by individual best pictures across the decade is the lowest among all 9 decades (thanks to the preferential ballots). The statistics:

(From lowest to highest)

1. 1st decade: 2.4
2. 9th: 4.3
3. 2nd: 4.7
4. 5th: 4.8
5. (tie) 8th & 3rd: 5.3
7. 6th: 5.9
8. 7th: 6.2
9. 4th: 7
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

The Shape of Water is the 1st BP winner to win 4 awards including 2 below the line categories in more than 30 years (since Platoon).
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

The Shape of Water ended a 13-year drought of the Best Picture winner not having a Best Actress nomination, but that still isn't the longest streak. It has still be 14 years since the Best Picture winner had a Visual Effects or Make-Up nomination (two categories that The Shape of Water could have possibly picked up).

Interestingly, it had also been 14 years since Best Picture had also picked up Best Production Design/Art Direction.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is only the 6th film ever to win both Actress and Supporting Actor awards, and the 1st to do so since Cabaret without winning BP.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

The Original BJ wrote:At some point, we had a list going of movies that featured the most acting Oscar winners. And it's worth noting how quickly The Help has joined those ranks, with Sissy Spacek, Mary Steenburgen, and Octavia Spencer now joined by (in only two years) Emma Stone, Viola Davis, and Allison Janney. And it's easy to imagine a scenario where Jessica Chastain joins them soon enough, with (maybe) David Oyelowo a possibility at some point down the road as well.
Interesting to note that in the last 15 years, three women from The Hours (Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore, and Allison Janney) have all gone on to win Oscars! (four if you count Nicole Kidman)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

inky wrote:
inky wrote: Palme d'Or
1957 - Friendly Persuasion
1970 - MASH
1974 - The Conversation
1976 - Taxi Driver
1979 - Apocalypse Now
1980 - All That Jazz
1993 - The Piano
1994 - Pulp Fiction
1996 - Secrets & Lies
2011 - The Tree of Life

Golden Bear
1957 - 12 Angry Men
1994 - In the Name of the Father
1996 - Sense and Sensibility
1999 - The Thin Red Line

Golden Lion
2005 - Brokeback Mountain

Indeed, Venice Film Fest has the track record of honoring edgier or more 'artistic' films and young directors; Berlin Film Fest often prefers political films; and Cannes Film Fest tends to privilege films made by big guns. Wonder if that's the reason that Cannes tends to attract more submissions of Oscar-bound movies.
Missing Missing (1982), The Mission (1986), The Pianist (2002) & Amour (2012) Cannes Palme d'Or Winners.

Missing Atlantic City (1981) Venice Golden Lion Winner.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I think it's also interesting to point out that apparently, The Shape of Water is only the fifth Best Picture winner to have a credited female writer. The other four were Wings, Rebecca, Mrs. Miniver and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

dws1982 wrote: Best Cinematography went to a non-Best Picture nominee for the first time post-expansion. This leaves, I think, Director, Original Screenplay, Adapted Screenplay, Score, and Sound Mixing as the only categories that has only been awarded to Best Picture nominees post-expansion.
Director is of course unlikely to ever happen, and the screenplay categories would need an even worse break than this year -- a late 50s/early 60s like slate of all non-best picture contenders.

But score could definitely happen. In fact, we're overdue for one of those once-a-decade anomalous score winners -- like Born Free, A Little Romance, The Milagro Beanfield War, The Red Violin...films that wouldn't have made even a list of 10 but still won the prize.
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

inky wrote:HI All,

Have not been posting for quite a while due to heavy work commitments. Just to contribute one trivia which I've taken note for quite a while :-

Venice Film Festival has become the last of the three top film festivals in the world that has given its top award (Golden Lion) to a future Oscar Best Picture.

The other two film festivals did this once each :- Cannes gave its first Palme d'Or (before that year, the top awards were known as "Grand Prix") to Marty in 1955 (I don't want to count in 1946 when it honored not one but 11 films with Grand Prix including The Lost Weekend), and Berlin presented Golden Bear to Rain Main in 1989.
Following this, I checked out the lists of former Palme d'Or, Golden Bear and Golden Lion winners which were also future Oscar Best Picture nominees, and here they are:

Palme d'Or
1957 - Friendly Persuasion
1970 - MASH
1974 - The Conversation
1976 - Taxi Driver
1979 - Apocalypse Now
1980 - All That Jazz
1993 - The Piano
1994 - Pulp Fiction
1996 - Secrets & Lies
2011 - The Tree of Life

Golden Bear
1957 - 12 Angry Men
1994 - In the Name of the Father
1996 - Sense and Sensibility
1999 - The Thin Red Line

Golden Lion
2005 - Brokeback Mountain

Indeed, Venice Film Fest has the track record of honoring edgier or more 'artistic' films and young directors; Berlin Film Fest often prefers political films; and Cannes Film Fest tends to privilege films made by big guns. Wonder if that's the reason that Cannes tends to attract more submissions of Oscar-bound movies.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

1981 holds the record for oldest average age of the four acting winners - 71. Henry Fonda was 76, Katharine Hepburn was 74, John Gielgud was 77 and Maureen Stapleton was the babe at 56. All would be a year older in less than two months.

Return to “90th Nominations and Winners”