Academy Members' Brutally Honest Ballots

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Academy Members' Brutally Honest Ballots

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:The Brian Cox movie was criticized for painting Churchill as a bumbling idiot, not the kind of presentation likely to win awards.
Well those critics got it wrong. He was not shown bumbling because he was an idiot. He was bumbling because of a series of strokes he had. Watch the film. Cox is superb as Churchill.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:The Brian Cox movie was criticized for painting Churchill as a bumbling idiot, not the kind of presentation likely to win awards.

Better received Churchills were Albert Finney (The Gathering Storm), Brendan Gleeson (Into the Storm) and John Lithgow (The Crown), all of whom won Emmys for their performances in their made-for-TV productions in 2003, 2009 and 2017, respectively.
I've seen The Gathering Storm. Finney and Redgrave were terrific in it.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Brian Cox movie was criticized for painting Churchill as a bumbling idiot, not the kind of presentation likely to win awards.

Better received Churchills were Albert Finney (The Gathering Storm), Brendan Gleeson (Into the Storm) and John Lithgow (The Crown), all of whom won Emmys for their performances in their made-for-TV productions in 2003, 2009 and 2017, respectively.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:They may be typical of what Old Hollywood thinks, which is why whoever played Winston Churchill this year would be the one to beat for best actor no matter who it was.
Didn't Brian Cox appear in another film last year as Churchill?

Haven't seen the Cox film, though it's a shame he didn't get nominated. Surely he couldn't have been worse than Oldman was.
I think Cox was better than Oldman.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Uri wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
Uri wrote:This last one is very frustrating. It's very humbling to find that you share your views with an idiot.
Which idiot?
This actress - she and I unfortunately have similar take on TBOEM. the rest of what she said was crap.
Mmm... Are you sure you agree with her on TBOEM..? :)
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

ITALIANO wrote:
Uri wrote:This last one is very frustrating. It's very humbling to find that you share your views with an idiot.
Which idiot?
This actress - she and I unfortunately have similar take on TBOEM. the rest of what she said was crap.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Which idiot?
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

This last one is very frustrating. It's very humbling to find that you share your views with an idiot.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:She was offended by Armie Hammer hitting on Timothée Chalamet because he looked 35 and Chalamet looked 17,
But why offended? I don't understand, sorry. Is there any (crazy) law in the US which prevents a 17-year-old person (17, not 13) from having sex with whomeer he or she wants?
It depends on the state. In California, the age of consent is 18.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_consent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_c ... ted_States
Oh ok... But even if she lives in California, she should know that there are other places where it's perfectly legal for a 17-year-old to have sex... And as she must have been 17 one day, she should definitely know that it's also NORMAL. But ok, these things can't be said in the US - or shown in movies, I understand.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:She was offended by Armie Hammer hitting on Timothée Chalamet because he looked 35 and Chalamet looked 17,
But why offended? I don't understand, sorry. Is there any (crazy) law in the US which prevents a 17-year-old person (17, not 13) from having sex with whomeer he or she wants?
It depends on the state. In California, the age of consent is 18.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_consent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_c ... ted_States
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:They may be typical of what Old Hollywood thinks, which is why whoever played Winston Churchill this year would be the one to beat for best actor no matter who it was.
Didn't Brian Cox appear in another film last year as Churchill?

Haven't seen the Cox film, though it's a shame he didn't get nominated. Surely he couldn't have been worse than Oldman was.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

She said a lot of stupid things, but she didn't strike me as someone who necessarily got their news from Fox News. She did strike me as someone who is very opinionated. She's engaged in the process, went to see Coco in a theatre - was appalled that Disney sold it as a kid's movie when it scared little kids. She was offended by Armie Hammer hitting on Timothée Chalamet because he looked 35 and Chalamet looked 17, but her reason for not voting for Chalamet was because he came across in real life as exactly like the character he played - no stretch. She didn't like Billboards because it was a Brit's take on America, not the real America - actually it's not the real Britain ether, but that's another story. She learned more from Darkest Hour about Dunkirk than she did from the movie they called Dunkirk.

Her objection to Get Out is that it was marketed as a horror movie when it became a success, now it's being sold as an important movie about race in America when it wasn't before. She took offense at a young British actor lecturing a luncheon audience comprised of Hollywood insiders on the subject. It doesn't mean she didn't think he had a point.

I've actually heard all these complaints before, though not all from the same person. They may be typical of what Old Hollywood thinks, which is why whoever played Winston Churchill this year would be the one to beat for best actor no matter who it was.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

She definitely came off as an idiot throughout, but I have news for her: not voting for "Get Out" doesn't make you a racist. Complaining about the use of the "race card" makes you a racist.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

anonymous1980 wrote:Another one.

A female member of the Acting branch. Her comments on Get Out will aggravate the fans of that movie.
Those comments should aggravate even people who aren't fans of Get Out. I mean, "black lives matter is an important theme of Get Out" only means "if you don't vote for this, you are a racist" if you're running it through a Fox News translation system.

Also, the whole point of a preferential ballot is so you can put the movie you really like at the top, even if it has a slim chance to win, knowing that your vote will go to your second choice as soon as your first is eliminated. So she should have just voted for Darkest Hour. (Not that I'm complaining someone decided against voting for Darkest Hour.)

Return to “90th Nominations and Winners”