Oscar quiz

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Re: Oscar quiz

Post by The Original BJ »

If I've got it right, Moulin Rouge, My Best Friend's Wedding, Amy, White Christmas, and Distant Voices, Still Lives would qualify.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

And, yes, Sunset Blvd. would fit.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

FilmFan720 wrote:I think I have it, although not having seen The Shape of Water yet I'm not positive...in the case of Peter's Friends, is it only Staunton who it applies to, or could it also be Branagh and Thompson?

If so, I'm not sure if Elf would apply in the way I am looking at it (for full Oscar trivia). But would Sunset Blvd. fit?
Branagh and Thompson - yup. Elf - nope, at least not the way I'm looking at it, either.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Got it, but not sure how Born on the Fourth of July fits. Perhaps Tee can explain it when everyone is let in on the secret.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I think I have it, although not having seen The Shape of Water yet I'm not positive...in the case of Peter's Friends, is it only Staunton who it applies to, or could it also be Branagh and Thompson?

If so, I'm not sure if Elf would apply in the way I am looking at it (for full Oscar trivia). But would Sunset Blvd. fit?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Uri wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:Would this be something we would get if we haven’t seen Shapr of Water yet, or is it plot specific?
Yes, theoretically you don't have to see TSoW.

And this one is for Tee, and only for him, so don't peak, you naugthy boys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRd6JlxO2f0
I had an idea that might be where it turned up, but obviously had no specific memory. Thanks.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

FilmFan720 wrote:Would this be something we would get if we haven’t seen Shapr of Water yet, or is it plot specific?
Yes, theoretically you don't have to see TSoW.

And this one is for Tee, and only for him, so don't peak, you naugthy boys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRd6JlxO2f0
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Would this be something we would get if we haven’t seen Shapr of Water yet, or is it plot specific?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Uri wrote:Yes, Staunton (with others) and Martin are the ones I'm referring to in their respective films.

As for your second part - I can see why you'd think Munich, for example, could fit, but my take was more specific. The way it's demonstrated in Munich less integral to the film than the above mentioned films and TSoW.
Yeah, I see what you're driving at. Elf and Shoot the Moon would definitely fit the criteria, though.

For the life of me, I can't remember how The Philadelphia Story fits here (you'd think I'd seen the movie enough times to recall). Let's say there wouldn't have been many options to make it happen at that point.

I presume you'll give all the answers when enough time has passed for others to weigh in.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Yes, Staunton (with others) and Martin are the ones I'm referring to in their respective films.

As for your second part - I can see why you'd think Munich, for example, could fit, but my take was more specific. The way it's demonstrated in Munich less integral to the film than the above mentioned films and TSoW.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

OK, I may have what you're going for -- though I haven't seen Hudson Hawk or My Life in Ruins to be sure of it. Would the answer relate to Imelda Staunton in Peter's Friends and Steve Martin on the bus in Planes, Trains...?

ON EDIT: And, if I've got it right, Elf, Munich, Born on the 4th of July and Shoot the Moon would be other examples.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

I just ran through TSoW thread here, and one of you did mention the fact that makes TSoW part of this list of films.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Still no clue?

I'll add another film: last year remake of Beauty and the Beast.
Uri
Adjunct

Oscar quiz

Post by Uri »

What does The Shape of Water has in common with Peter’s Friends, The Philadelphia Story, Hudson Hawk, Planes Trains and Automobiles and My Life in Ruins? The link is Oscar related.

There’s a bunch of other films that qualify too, but mentioning them will be too big a hint to the answer.

I’m sure there are other films and you are welcome to add them to the list.

Return to “90th Nominations and Winners”