Casey Affleck Not Attending the Oscars

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Re: Casey Affleck Not Attending the Oscars

Post by FilmFan720 »

Matthew McConaughy is the only Best Actor winner announced to present so far, so it looks like he could be taking Affleck's spot.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Reza wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:I don't understand why he shouldn't give Best Actress. He (deservedly) won Best Actor last year, and he's a talented man. That's all we need to know. Contrary to what some on this board think, we aren't God, or judges in a public trial.
You are wrong, Marco. The climate in the United States has made almost everyone and their kitchen sink judges in a public trial. A number also now think they are God :)
Yes well... I see that there's a tendency of pointing fingers... I don't know if it's just America or, more generally, the internet world. Anyway, it's just so crazy...
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

ITALIANO wrote:I don't understand why he shouldn't give Best Actress. He (deservedly) won Best Actor last year, and he's a talented man. That's all we need to know. Contrary to what some on this board think, we aren't God, or judges in a public trial.
You are wrong, Marco. The climate in the United States has made almost everyone and their kitchen sink judges in a public trial. A number also now think they are God :)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Ingrid Bergman's first appearance at the Oscars as a presenter was 1945. Bette Davis' first appearance at the Oscars as a presenter was 1945. Clark Gable's first appearance at the Oscars as a presenter was 1957. The first coast-to-coast radio broadcast was 1944.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Uri wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:the Academy has the right to bestow on whoever they choose to. If they feel uncomfortable with someone, even if I don't, it's their prerogative not to invite them to their party.
Yes, of course. Even Ingrid Bergman wasn't invited for years (well, she wasn't invited in America actually) in the 50s. Thay may even decide not to invite Jews or gays one day. And I'd even agree with them in case of a crime which has been officially judged, confirmed and sanctioned. But otherwise... if it's their prerogative not to invite someone, it's MY prerogative, Uri, to say that I don't agree. Trust me - sometimes it's healthy NOT to agree with the majority.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Uri wrote: Btw, I'm writing this,a newly bionic man, at the hospital. I'm feeling great, pain - and drugs - free. Hopefully I'll feel the same tomorrow after I'll get out of bed for the first time.
Glad to hear your surgery went well.
Last edited by Precious Doll on Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Original BJ wrote:Maybe in the wake of the previous Best Actor winner being unable to fulfill his duties, the Academy should just ask the runner-up? Denzel Washington will already be there!
No! The Academy goes to great lengths NOT to reveal who the actual runners-up are. It would be more appropriate for Washington to be given the honor as a now 8-time nominee.

This is the 90th anniversary of the Academy Awards. What AMPAS ought to do is another one of those shows where all the awards are presented by previous winners, or at least previous nominees.

Best Picture should be presented by the oldest living former winner, Olivia de Havilland, even if she has to do the presentation remotely from Paris with someone else (NOT Kirk Douglas) opening the envelope on stage.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Maybe in the wake of the previous Best Actor winner being unable to fulfill his duties, the Academy should just ask the runner-up? Denzel Washington will already be there!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Congrats, Uri. Glad your operation went well.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

First, I'd love to have Affleck presenting.

Now, the Oscar should go to the person who gave the best performance, wether he's an alleged wife bitter or probably a serial harasser or molester. Saying that, the honor to be on stage at the Oscars as a presenter is just that, an honor the Academy has the right to bestow on whoever they choose to. If they feel uncomfortable with someone, even if I don't, it's their prerogative not to invite them to their party.

Btw, I'm writing this,a newly bionic man, at the hospital. I'm feeling great, pain - and drugs - free. Hopefully I'll feel the same tomorrow after I'll get out of bed for the first time.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Big Magilla wrote:
Uri wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Getting back to the original question, though, I think the ideal substitute for Casey Affleck would be his Manchester by the Sea co-star and co-nominee Lucas Hedges, who would almost certainly be presenting the Best Actress award to either his on-screen mother in one film or his on-screen girlfriend in another - either Frances McDormand or Saoirse Ronan, of course.
Isn't the idea is for the Academi to disascoate itself from Afleck? Bringing his costar onstage will only ex elate the awareness to this unpleasant debacle.
Maybe they should just use a disembodied voice.
Just make sure it is a male voice or MaxWilder may get pissed off at a female voice-over!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I don't understand why he shouldn't give Best Actress. He (deservedly) won Best Actor last year, and he's a talented man. That's all we need to know. Contrary to what some on this board think, we aren't God, or judges in a public trial.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Academy has had countless individuals who did not show up the next year to present for varioius reasons. i doubt this will be any different. They'll probably try to find an Oscar-winning actor to present it to her. I don't think it's really that important of a topic who replaces him.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Uri wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Getting back to the original question, though, I think the ideal substitute for Casey Affleck would be his Manchester by the Sea co-star and co-nominee Lucas Hedges, who would almost certainly be presenting the Best Actress award to either his on-screen mother in one film or his on-screen girlfriend in another - either Frances McDormand or Saoirse Ronan, of course.
Isn't the idea is for the Academi to disascoate itself from Afleck? Bringing his costar onstage will only ex elate the awareness to this unpleasant debacle.
Maybe they should just use a disembodied voice.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Return to “90th Nominations and Winners”