Categories One-By-Three: The Shorts

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Re: Categories One-By-Three: The Shorts

Post by The Original BJ »

Dear Basketball is available here: https://www.go90.com/shows/dearbasketball

Revolting Rhymes is also available to stream on Netflix.

All of the live action shorts are available to buy as part of a package on iTunes (along with Dear Basketball, Garden Party, and Negative Space).

I saw all the shorts this year (in theaters, thanks MoviePass), and I'm not sure it made predicting easier -- sometimes my favorite versus the one I think they'd go for versus the one Goldderby thinks has the edge were all different!

I will say that I thought the quality of the documentary shorts -- all 5 of which I thought were pretty strong -- was MUCH higher than the animated and live action ones.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

In addition to what anonymous referenced below, I found doc shorts Edith+Eddie and Knife Skills, and animated shorts Garden Party and Lou, on YouTube.

Garden Party is the clear winner of the "Did not see THAT coming" sweepstakes for this and most years.

NOTE: Dear Basketball was removed for copyright violation.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

You can watch Heaven is a Traffic Jam on the 405 here.

You can watch Dear Basketball here.

Heroin(e) is available on Netflix and it's very good.

Lou was the best part of watching Cars 3.

I will add to this as we go along.
Greg
Tenured

Categories One-By-Three: The Shorts

Post by Greg »

So, as I have done the past few years, I viewed the trailers for the Short Subjects on the Oscars.org web site. Before I give my reviews and ratings for them, three general comments:

1: I only saw the trailers so, of course, my reactions might have been different if I had seen the entire Shorts.
2: I appreciate how when you click to view the trailer for the first listed Short, that, after it finishes, you are automatically sent the the trailer of the next Short; and, so on, until the category finishes.
3: After seeing the ad before some trailers, I am curious just how safe is Cadillac's Super-Cruise-hands-free driving.

Animated Short Subject:

1: Garden Party - This is far-and-away my favorite in this category. I am absolutely stunned that this is animation and not live-action photography.
2: Negative Space - This, like the next two, uses Claymation characters. I am really intrigued where the plot takes these characters.
3: Revolting Rhymes - It looks potentially amusing how this will twist famous fairy tales.
4: Lou - I am not sure where this plot goes.
5: Dear Basketball - It would be better if the sketchy animation transformed into something more elaborate.

Documentary Short Subject:

1: Traffic Stop - This is enraging telling of a woman stopped by police at a traffic stop.
2: Heroin(e) - I found this a suspenseful and moving depiction of the opioid crisis.
3: Heaven Is a Traffic Jam on the 405 - This looks like a fresh take on mental illness and its treatment with medication.
4: Edith+Eddie - This appears to be a moving presentation of caring for an elderly couple.
5: Knife Skills - While I found the opening of a new restaurant run by ex-felons suspenseful, it did not strike me as be quite as suspenseful as the
others.

Live Action Short Subject:

1: Watu Wote/All of Us - After the breathtaking start, I was truly piqued to know what happens next.
2: The Eleven O'clock - I laughed at how droll this starts.
3: The Silent Child - This starts off moving enough to intrigue me as to what happens next.
4: DeKalb Elementary - While the tension builds, I question as to whether it does so quickly enough for its brief running time.
5: My Nephew Emmett - The trailer gave me little idea of what this is about.

Return to “90th Nominations and Winners”