It's Trivia Time

Uri
Adjunct

Re: It's Trivia Time

Post by Uri »

Does this count?
The young Hepburn was a tomboy who liked to call herself Jimmy, and cut her hair short.[11] Thomas Hepburn was eager for his children to use their minds and bodies to the limit, and taught them to swim, run, dive, ride, wrestle, and play golf and tennis.[12] Golf became a passion of Hepburn's; she took daily lessons and became very adept, reaching the semi-final of the Connecticut Young Women's Golf Championship.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I can think of a number of pro athletes who tried their luck in acting, but I don't think any were good enough to get Oscar nominations.

Budd Boetticher was a professional bullfighter before getting an Oscar nomination for writing a screenplay for a movie about bullfighting.

Ron Shelton, who directed several sports films and was nominated for writing Bull Durham was a minor league baseball player for some years, but I'm not sure if minor league players were professionals in those days.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Heksagon wrote:Kobe Bryant is the first black person to receive a nomination for an Animation (either Short or Feature).
Speaking of Kobe Bryant, does anyone know if he's the first pro-athlete of any sport to have received an Oscar nomination? Were there any others?
I think Geena Davis was in archery but that was after her nominations.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Heksagon wrote:Kobe Bryant is the first black person to receive a nomination for an Animation (either Short or Feature).
Speaking of Kobe Bryant, does anyone know if he's the first pro-athlete of any sport to have received an Oscar nomination? Were there any others?
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Kobe Bryant is the first black person to receive a nomination for an Animation (either Short or Feature).

I believe Hoyte van Hoytema is the first Dutch person to receive a Cinematography nomination. I think Arjen Tuiten might be the first Dutch person to receive a Make-Up nomination also.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Lebanon receives it's first nomination in the Foreign Language Film category with The Insult.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Steven Spielberg adds to his record of having his films nominated for the most Oscars in history, now 129! That is a record that it may be safe to say is never broken. For reference, Christopher Nolan is the director under age 50 with the most nominations, and his films only have 34. That is a lot of catching up to do, and near impossible if it takes you 3 years to make every movie.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote: Octavia Spencer becomes the first African-American to be nominated for acting Oscars in back to back years.
... and Washington??
Just fixed this. I had that tidbit in mind before today, and I wasn't expecting Denzel.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

- Timothee Chalamet is the THIRD youngest Best Actor nominee ever.
- Rachel Morrison is the first female to ever get nominated for Cinematography.
- I believe Jordan Peele is the first African-American to score nominations for Picture, Director and Screenplay in the same year.
- Yance Ford is the first African-American openly trans man to get Oscar-nominated.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

FilmFan720 wrote: Octavia Spencer becomes the first African-American to be nominated for acting Oscars in back to back years.
... and Washington??
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Mary J Blige is the first person nominated for acting and songwriting in the same year.

Octavia Spencer and Denzel Washington become the first African-American to be nominated for acting Oscars in back to back years.
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

The list of critically acclaimed musicians scoring Oscar nods expands again this year: Raphael Saadiq, Mary J. Blige, Sufjan Stevens and Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood all scoring music nominations. Greenwood's feels especially overdue.

Last year's winners Benji Pasek and Justin Paul, as well as previous winners Robert Lopez, Kristin Anderson-Lopez and Common, are back again.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Is Kobe Bryant arguably the most acclaimed former NBA star to be an Oscar nominee (Best Animated Short Film, Dear Basketball)?
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Whoops. I'll fix that.
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

FilmFan720 wrote:Three of last year's winners are in contention for back to back wins:

Best Song winners Benj Pasek and Justin Paul for Best Song for The Greatest Showman
Best Visual Effects winner Dan Lemmon for Best Visual Effects for War for the Planet of the Apes

Some with back-to-back nominations:

Consolata Boyle in Costume Design
Julie Goldman in Documentary Feature
David Parker in Sound
Scott Rudin in Picture
Mac Ruth in Sound (three years running)
Octavia Spencer in Supporting Actress
Denzel Washington in Actor
Stuart Wilson in Sound (three years running)
By now, Streep is taken for granted, I guess.

Return to “90th Nominations and Winners”