It's Trivia Time

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: It's Trivia Time

Post by Precious Doll »

CalWilliam wrote:
This is James Ivory’s to lose. Isn’t that wonderful?
And along with a highly possible A Fantastic Woman win the only two reasons for me to watch the show, or part of it anyway this year.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

Every best Adapted Screenplay winner was nominated for Best Picture, with the exception of The Bad and the Beautiful, Sling Blade and Gods and Monsters. Fortunately, that clearly pushes James Ivory ahead as practically a lock to prevail. Logan, Molly’s Game and The Disaster Artist don’t have a chance since any movie has won this category with just one citation. Let’s just hope that Mudbound doesn’t get a last minute push. I think this is a very significant statistic. When Sling Blade won, the only other Best Picture nominee in the category was The English Patient, for which a sweep in many other categories was predicted (as well as script), and alongside Gods and Monsters, only The Thin Red Line was representing the Best Picture category, and we know they would have never given it to Terrence Malick, as they didn’t with Kubrick.

The only anomaly here is how The Bad and the Beautiful could have won both The Quiet Man and High Noon in screenplay without being in Best Picture nor Director.

This is James Ivory’s to lose. Isn’t that wonderful?
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Uri wrote:The 1961 winners, Maximilian Schell (born December 8, 1930), Rita Moreno (December 11, 1931), George Chakiris (September 16,1934), Sophia Loren (September 20,1934) were all born within less than 4 years. Their average age when winning, 29 years and 61 days, is still the lowest ever, btw.
Thanks, Uri. I had the feeing there was something I was missing, but didn't have the stamina to check any further past 1945.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Big Magilla wrote:
Greg wrote:If, as expected, the acting winners are Oldman, McDormand, Rockwell, and Janney, they will range in age from 49 to 60. Does anyone know how rare it is for the age span of acting winners to only be 11 years?
Talk about trivia!

I think you'd have to go a long way to find a shorter range than the 5-year difference between four winners than those of the 1945 awards - Ray Milland (38), Joan Crawford (39), James Dunn (43) and Anne Revere (41). Pre-1936 the record is 3 years between both Warner Baxter and Mary Pickford and Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert.
The 1961 winners, Maximilian Schell (born December 8, 1930), Rita Moreno (December 11, 1931), George Chakiris (September 16,1934), Sophia Loren (September 20,1934) were all born within less than 4 years. Their average age when winning, 29 years and 61 days, is still the lowest ever, btw.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sorry. Didn't see the Best Actress part of it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

mlrg wrote:Farfetched trivia I found

Frances McDormand in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

stands for the largest number of characters by anyone ever nominated in best actress (as per my excel file) :lol:
Ah: that's why I had so much trouble fitting it on my typed ballot. (Had to abbreviate Missouri to Mo.)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Neither of those were nominated for Best Actress though which seems to be what mlrg was going for.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I can think of two that are longer:

Barbara Harris in Who Is Harry Kellerman and Why Is He Saying Those Terrible Things About Me?

Peter Sellers in Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Farfetched trivia I found

Frances McDormand in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

stands for the largest number of characters by anyone ever nominated in best actress (as per my excel file) :lol:
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Greg wrote:If, as expected, the acting winners are Oldman, McDormand, Rockwell, and Janney, they will range in age from 49 to 60. Does anyone know how rare it is for the age span of acting winners to only be 11 years?
Talk about trivia!

I think you'd have to go a long way to find a shorter range than the 5-year difference between four winners than those of the 1945 awards - Ray Milland (38), Joan Crawford (39), James Dunn (43) and Anne Revere (41). Pre-1936 the record is 3 years between both Warner Baxter and Mary Pickford and Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

If, as expected, the acting winners are Oldman, McDormand, Rockwell, and Janney, they will range in age from 49 to 60. Does anyone know how rare it is for the age span of acting winners to only be 11 years?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's a shame that neither Cradle nor In a Heartbeat were nominated. Both were wonderful films, each for different reasons.

I do find it interesting, and this might be a tad conspiracy-ish, but I notice how the five nominees for Animated Feature are not freely available online. Yet, all the ones that were freely available were not nominated. Could it be that the short films branch doesn't want to recognize anything that could cost the Academy money and decrease interest in catching the shorts program they show in theaters every year?
Wesley Lovell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Let's put it this way: Kobe Bryant could be the first person to win an Olympic Gold Medal and an Oscar Gold Statue.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Neil Paterson, who won the screenwriting Oscar for Room at the Top, played soccer for a year at the Scottish Second Division as an amateur. He supposedly had an opportunity to turn professional, but opted to pursue a career in sports journalism instead.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

There are several Oscar nominees who have been involved in amateur sports at various levels (including Icarus's Bryan Fogel this year), but I can't find anyone even of Olympic participant level.

Robert Stack won the U.S. Championship in 20 gauge skeet shooting in 1936, that's the most impressive amateur sportsman record for an Oscar nominee that I can find.

Return to “90th Nominations and Winners”