Nominations Announcement

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Nominations Announcement

Post by Big Magilla »

Wow! I'm quoted in under a minute, must be some kind of record!
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

MaxWilder wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote:Re: Tiffany Haddish.
It would be a viral-worthy moment and boost ratings for the show if this is the case.
Ratings for the announcement show? You can't really boost ratings in real time, although this would get tons of plays on Youtube.
Not the announcement but for the Oscar show itself, to use it as a promo.
Big Magilla wrote: Maybe it's Serkis, not Haddish, who has the connection to the nominations with a planned announcement that he will receive an honorary Oscar at the Oscars (not next November) for his motion capture work.
That's also a possibility.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Maybe it's Serkis, not Haddish, who has the connection to the nominations with a planned announcement that he will receive an honorary Oscar at the Oscars (not next November) for his motion capture work.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee, you are probably right -- I didn't realize it was all done truly at the last minute, but of course, it would seem for security purposes that they can't have a bunch of people knowing with the possibility of anything leaking before the announcement.
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

anonymous1980 wrote:Re: Tiffany Haddish.
It would be a viral-worthy moment and boost ratings for the show if this is the case.
Ratings for the announcement show? You can't really boost ratings in real time, although this would get tons of plays on Youtube.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote: Obviously the Academy knows who's nominated at this point, but wouldn't something as big as who is reading the nominations have had to be scheduled a while ago? Just because it was just announced doesn't mean it hasn't been on the books for some time.

It also seems really weird to pick one person who's getting a nomination and give them this treatment, as opposed to, you know, every other actor. But again, it's strange to choose someone who's in the running at all, I think.
It's my understanding the Academy DOESN'T know at this point. To my knowledge, only the PwC accountants have the info, until they all -- accountants, Academy board, people involved in the presentation -- enter the Academy building (sometime in the next few hours), where they'll stay locked in (with all devices surrendered) until the announcement tomorrow morning.

At the time Haddish was announced as presenter, there was no way anyone but the accountants should have known if she was a nominee or not.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

And now if she doesn’t get a nomination, then the whole thing will seem a little cruel for her to have been involved.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

anonymous1980 wrote:Re: Tiffany Haddish. I'd like to think that she might be in and the Academy knowing this, will spring a surprise on her on Oscar nominations morning as she's making the announcements. It would be a viral-worthy moment and boost ratings for the show if this is the case. I'm personally rooting for her to get in even though I'm not officially predicting her.
Obviously the Academy knows who's nominated at this point, but wouldn't something as big as who is reading the nominations have had to be scheduled a while ago? Just because it was just announced doesn't mean it hasn't been on the books for some time.

It also seems really weird to pick one person who's getting a nomination and give them this treatment, as opposed to, you know, every other actor. But again, it's strange to choose someone who's in the running at all, I think.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Has the Academy ever had someone who’s in the conversation for a nomination, participate in the nominations announcement?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Re: Tiffany Haddish.

I'd like to think that she might be in and the Academy knowing this, will spring a surprise on her on Oscar nominations morning as she's making the announcements. It would be a viral-worthy moment and boost ratings for the show if this is the case. I'm personally rooting for her to get in even though I'm not officially predicting her.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It looks to be a combination of years' past and last year. So, Group 1 has all the category introductions pre-recorded, then a disembodied voice will announce the nominees after each introduction just like they did on last year's weird opening. Then, Group 2 is supposed to be announced live as usual. I don't know if that means the normal screening room procedure or not.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Big Magilla wrote:But why one guy and seven gals?
Maybe they want to limit the possibility of one of the announcers having a #MeToo scandal break before now and tomorrow morning?

I say this with no disrespect meant to Tiffany Haddish, but she strikes me as exactly the kind of performer to milk the moment of not being nominated for Best Supporting Actress for all that she can, which I would imagine could easily become an instant Internet meme for anyone wanting to mock the nominations. (A meme that would be extra loaded should the five faces behind her include Hunter/Manville but not Blige/Spencer.)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. But why one guy and seven gals?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

OK, I officially have no idea how they're doing this. Here's the Academy's tweet from today:

https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/9 ... d%2Fpage22

Does it mean Haddish & Serkis are going to announce the top categories (the 5:38 bunch), and all those other actors are going to handle the tech prizes at 5:22? But they can't know the nominations in any of those tech categories until sometime tonight, so, unless all those people are inside the building all night shooting announcement videos, it'll be just the celebs doing cute category-intros and a disembodied voice reading off names?

Plus, Haddish and Serkis seem ill-chosen for the main portion -- Haddish because she's, however down the list, still theoretically a nomination possibility, and Serkis because he's far more associated with the tech categories than familiar as an acting face. So, is it possible they're hosting the early segment, and someone yet to be announced will come out for the main event?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

flipp525 wrote:Yes, it is, Franz.

Did they announce last year’s acting nominees alphabetically?
Yes; Cheryl Boone Isaacs seemed adamant about using the alphabetical system, even in the best picture category. If we recall, when Hawk Koch was the Academy president, the order in that one category was mixed, so we'd have no idea how many nominees there were going to be till the announcers went silent (or, in one case, said "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close").

I loved the one year Seth McFarlane mixed the order of all nominees, but I'd love for them to resume random reading in at least best picture. It'll be up to new president John Bailey.

Return to “90th Nominations and Winners”