Visual Effects short-list

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Visual Effects short-list

Post by Sabin »

Having seen 'The Last Jedi,' I'm wondering if there's a chance it misses the cut. Some of the VFX looked pretty shoddy. And the film is clearly a giant room-splitter, so maybe something like 'Alien: Covenant' sneaks in ('Prometheus' did) or 'Valerian.'

Likewise, Best Sound Mixing and Sound Effects look pretty up in the air at this point beyond 'Dunkirk.' Films that I can envision making the cut for both are: 'Baby Driver,' 'Blade Runner 2049,' 'Detroit,' 'The Last Jedi,' 'The Shape of Water,' and 'Wonder Woman.' But it seems like every year there's something we hadn't counted on that just slips through. What could that be? 'Atomic Blonde?' 'Only the Brave?' 'Transformers: The Last Knight?'
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Mister Tee wrote:
Sabin wrote:
Mister Tee wrote
1) I doubt you'll think Shape of Water has a chance after you've seen it. Its visual effects are relatively minimal.
Isn't the creature entirely VFX? Or is it another Guillermo Del Toro makeup creation?
Yeah, as anonymous notes below, it's (as far as I could tell) just an actor in a creature suit. There might have been effects involved around the edges, but not the whole green-screen thing you're probably assuming. There are other moments that are VFX (some underwater stuff), but not the sort that generally get the branch (and overall voters) excited.
Odd that it was not among the 7 finalists for make-up:
viewtopic.php?f=109&t=11071

Perhaps this will give it the boost to be nominated in the F/X category. Hell, if people really love the movie, it could pull off a shocker of a win like EX-MACHINA.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Shape of Water, Jedi, and Apes are probably set. I suspect that the other two will be Dunkirk and Blade Runner, but I'd love for Valerian to knock off Dunkirk. As meh-in-places as Valerian was, it was an eye-popping spectacle.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee wrote:Only one of the DC/Marvel crew survive.
One might start to assume that this organization just isn’t that into comic book movies!
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Only one of the DC/Marvel crew survive.

Please, don't nominate Alien: Covenant. Even if it makes it, I can't put myself through those squicky creatures one more time.

I'd guess Blade Runner, Last Jedi and the Apes make it, with the other two slots up for grabs.
Last edited by Mister Tee on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

And then they were ten:

http://deadline.com/2017/12/oscars-visu ... 202229322/

Alien: Covenant
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Kong: Skull Island
Okja
The Shape of Water
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
War for the Planet of the Apes
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I reworded it.
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Sabin wrote:
Greg wrote
Ex Machina?
No, not like Ex Machina. I'm talking about like Gravity, Life of Pi, or Avatar.
Oh, I read your post as there did not appear to be a game changer like there was in 2015, not, as you meant, like in 2015 there is not a game changer.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Greg wrote
Ex Machina?
No, not like Ex Machina. I'm talking about like Gravity, Life of Pi, or Avatar.
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Sabin wrote:In a year where it doesn't appear that there is a clear, VFX standout, a game-changer like in 2015. . .
Ex Machina?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Really hoping that the nominees are from within this list because I don't fancy sitting through any of the other shortlisted films.

Alien: Covenant
Beauty and the Beast
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
Life
Okja
The Shape of Water
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:
Mister Tee wrote
1) I doubt you'll think Shape of Water has a chance after you've seen it. Its visual effects are relatively minimal.
Isn't the creature entirely VFX? Or is it another Guillermo Del Toro makeup creation?
Yeah, as anonymous notes below, it's (as far as I could tell) just an actor in a creature suit. There might have been effects involved around the edges, but not the whole green-screen thing you're probably assuming. There are other moments that are VFX (some underwater stuff), but not the sort that generally get the branch (and overall voters) excited.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Sabin wrote:
Mister Tee wrote
I haven't seen it but I'm pretty sure it's Doug Jones in prosthetics and a suit. Del Toro is a big fan of practical makeup and monster suits.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

2) I think Blade Runner 2049 IS a standout/game-changer, though I don't know how much its box office softness will stand in its way.

3) ...but the rest of the field doesn't scare me. If Star Wars couldn't win with The Force Awakens, and Apes with Rise of..., I doubt either can triumph further down the line. And Dunkirk might sneak in for a nomination, but choosing it over Blade Runner would be ridiculous.

Return to “90th Nominations and Winners”