Oscar Voter Reveals Her Brutally Honest Ballot

flipp525
Laureate

Re: Oscar Voter Reveals Her Brutally Honest Ballot

Post by flipp525 »

Another "Brutally Honest Ballot." This time it's a major "Moonlight" fan:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/ ... t-2-978292
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

anonymous1980 wrote:This is even worse.

The author practically accuses Damien Chazelle of being a Nazi.
I couldn't even believe it while I was reading it...
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Uri wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I truly don't understand how the fact that later stage revivals, from the '70s onward, of TPG had black people in them had anything to do with the film version, which is its own artistic entity, which indeed represents the time it was made in. I may have no (intuitive) problem with it's whiteness, and I may be amused by this very American notion of anachronistically rewriting history, but I do see her point.

p..s. If you must, you may ridicule her for confusing Leni Riefenstahl's Olympia (1938) and Triumph of the Will (1935).
That, too, but The Pajama Game wasn't nominated for any Oscars. She might just as well have brought up Elvis Presley's Loving You, which also came out in 1957 and didn't have any black people in it either.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote:The article reads like something Sasha would write.
If you check the comments section, Sasha Stone herself came in and defended this article. She said she loved La La Land when she saw it back in September but Trump's win made her see it in a different light. Okay, I hate Trump but I think that's fucking insane.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Big Magilla wrote:The article reads like something Sasha would write.

Throwing shit at The Pajama Game for being too white just shows the writer's lack of show biz history, to say nothing of real life. That argument should have been put to rest for all time by the 1973 Broadway revival in which Hal Linden played the white superintendent (John Raitt's role) opposite Barbara McNair's black union organizer (Doris Day's role) with a mostly black supporting cast. Subsequent revivals have featured mixed race casts as well. The inevitable "live" TV version of La La Land will likely feature a mixed race cast, too, for which the writer will undoubtedly take credit for having raised Hollywood's conscience.
I truly don't understand how the fact that later stage revivals, from the '70s onward, of TPG had black people in them had anything to do with the film version, which is its own artistic entity, which indeed represents the time it was made in. I may have no (intuitive) problem with it's whiteness, and I may be amused by this very American notion of anachronistically rewriting history, but I do see her point.

p..s. If you must, you may ridicule her for confusing Leni Riefenstahl's Olympia (1938) and Triumph of the Will (1935).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The article reads like something Sasha would write.

Throwing shit at The Pajama Game for being too white just shows the writer's lack of show biz history, to say nothing of real life. That argument should have been put to rest for all time by the 1973 Broadway revival in which Hal Linden played the white superintendent (John Raitt's role) opposite Barbara McNair's black union organizer (Doris Day's role) with a mostly black supporting cast. Subsequent revivals have featured mixed race casts as well. The inevitable "live" TV version of La La Land will likely feature a mixed race cast, too, for which the writer will undoubtedly take credit for having raised Hollywood's conscience.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

This is even worse.

The author practically accuses Damien Chazelle of being a Nazi.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:
Yet another piece on The Guardians website bashing La La Land, this one by David Cox (never heard of him). He concludes his piece with these two sentences:

"La La Land’s victory on Sunday night will tell us something about our era. But it will be no triumph for film-makers, filmgoers or film."
I don't think you have to be a fan of La La Land to roll your eyes on that.
Indeed!
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Precious Doll wrote:
Yet another piece on The Guardians website bashing La La Land, this one by David Cox (never heard of him). He concludes his piece with these two sentences:

"La La Land’s victory on Sunday night will tell us something about our era. But it will be no triumph for film-makers, filmgoers or film."
I don't think you have to be a fan of La La Land to roll your eyes on that.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:Guy Lodge's crap also posts to Sasha Stone's website where he has been more present than she has of late due to her political obsessions of late.

"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

You guys have mentioned it in the past, but I ignored it. I mean why punish great work just because you didn't like the overall film?

Well, I am shocked at how often the interviewees of this series note that they won't consider a nominee because they didn't like the movie. Wow.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Guy Lodge's crap also posts to Sasha Stone's website where he has been more present than she has of late due to her political obsessions of late.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Guardian are taking a stab at predicting the outcome for the Oscars. It's worth noting that over the last few weeks The Guardian has been running numerous articles singing the virtues of Moonlight (and to a lesser extent Hidden Figures & Fences) and taking a stick to La La Land (and to a lesser extent Manchester by the Sea).

The Guardian of course equals PC in overdrive. Not so with their predictions are well reasoned but they can't help themselves having yet another dig at Casey Affleck https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/f ... -moonlight
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

This reads like someone who visited Oscar Prediction discussion websites, read everyone's opinions on how a stereotypical Oscar voter may think, took notes, and created this character.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I immediately thought of 90-year-old Lee Grant, too, even before she mentioned that she was Jewish.

Other possibilities: Barbra Streisand, Dianne Wiest, Brenda Vaccaro, Carol Kane and Sylvia Miles among previous Oscar winners and nominees. If it's someone who has never been nominated, I have no idea who it could be.

Return to “89th Nominations and Winners”