Categories One-by-One: Original Song

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Categories One-by-One: Original Song

Post by Big Magilla »

Records are made to be broken, that one would be hard to beat. Someone would have to win all four in the same year which would be hard to do since the Grammy would have to come first.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote:I'll still be shocked if anything other than "City of Stars" wins this, but I do understand the push to split the music awards between Pasek and Paul who are going to win this year's Tony for Dear Evan Hansen and Miranda, who won multiple prizes last year for Hamilton.
You know, if things go their way, Pasek and Paul could conceivably EGOT in the span of just one year. They could win an Oscar for La La Land. They could win a Tony for Dear Evan Hansen. They could win an Emmy for a song that they wrote for a special musical episode of The Flash next month. They could win a Grammy for one or all of these projects next year.

One year. If it happens, it would be an unbelievable strokes of good luck for the pair.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'll still be shocked if anything other than "City of Stars" wins this, but I do understand the push to split the music awards between Pasek and Paul who are going to win this year's Tony for Dear Evan Hansen and Miranda, who won multiple prizes last year for Hamilton.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Like a true Oscar nerd, I try to sample the songs in the context of their films, which, this year, made The Empty Chair from Jim: The James Foley Story the toughest get. The film has been labelled Extremely Long Wait on Netflix since the nominations -- presumably they have limited copies of a movie they thought would have limited appeal, and are now being inundated by other Oscar nerds trying to see the damn thing before Sunday.

So, I was forced to check the song out on YouTube. It's a quality piece, though it has a touch of the standard Sting dullness.

Can't Stop the Feeling has its hook, good enough to make it a chart-topper but not to compete here, were the more infectious Happy couldn't win.

I run into people who tell me they love How Far I'll Go, and I have to resist asking Why -- what distinguishes it from a dozen other Disney hero/heroine power ballads? Lin-Manuel or no Lin-Manuel. (I liked the rest of his score better.)

Juggernaut La La Land would probably be winning even if its entries weren't the most impressive of the bunch; the fact the are makes this a lay-down. Audition is pretty terrific, but it's kind of a scene-specific song -- working better in context than standing alone. City of Stars, on the other hand, will turn up in piano bars for the next few decades: a gorgeously mournful-sounding ballad that may be the best winner since Falling Slowly. An easy pick.

I do echo the thought, that Drive It Like You Stole It was robbed -- and that we were all therefore robbed of seeing it performed live.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

If anything other than "City of Stars" wins this one I will be shocked.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

"Drive It Like You Stole It" should've gotten nominated.

La La Land should've also submitted "Another Day of Sun".
Greg
Tenured

Categories One-by-One: Original Song

Post by Greg »

I listened to all of the Best Original Song nominees here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Q_r-M9iPA

I neither adored nor actively hated any of these. Here are may rankings:

1: "City Of Stars" - La La Land - cutely dramatically ironic
2: "Audition" - La La Land - nicely comedically ironic
3: "The Empty Chair" - Jim: The James Foley Story - moving, but does not move beyond its basic plaintive theme
4: "How Far I'll Go" - Moana - typical animated power ballad
5: "Can't Stop The Feeling" - Trolls - typical animated rappish song

Return to “89th Nominations and Winners”