2017 BAFTA Winners

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: 2017 BAFTA Winners

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote: Kubo winning animated feature breaks Zootopia's streak with Globes/PGA, and suggests AMPAS could deal a surprise. Also, something odd: in the BAFTA telecast, they had the Disney film listed as Zootropolis. Did the film go by a different name in the UK? Is this something like the Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone? Seems an odd deviation, given the "-topia" part of the word is derived from an Englishman's literary work.
I usually don't care about this category, but I really liked Kubo and the Two Strings whereas I thought Zootopia, like much of Disney's output, was over-rated. If it were just the animators voting, Zootopia would have it in the bag because the Disney folks dominate there, but with the whole Academy voting, Kubo could and should win the Oscar as well.

Zootopia is Zootropolis in the UK and throughout Europe, as well as Israel. It's Zootopia in Latin America and Asia. Albania seems to want to have it both ways, calling it Zootropoli. Go to IMDb. and click on release dates - it will bring up the title by country.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The Original BJ wrote: Just to chime in on this topic, for as much as we all debate whether roles are lead or support, I wonder if there might be some parts where you genuinely could make a case that it could go either way.
I can think of one that's definitely a grey area that could go either way: Lesley Manville in Another Year. Structure-wise she is supporting. The film is ostensibly all about the elderly couple and she's merely one of the characters that go in and out of their lives. She's even absent for a huge chunk of the running time. But on the other hand, she's the one with the biggest, most significant story and character arc in the film. The film ends on her note and she's the one you most remember. I can definitely see people voting for her and arguing for her as Supporting or Lead.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee wrote:For the record, I think she's legitimately placed in support -- possibly because my first exposure to the role was via the un-famous Mary Alice on stage -- but the role is meaty enough it wouldn't be ridiculous as lead, either.
Just to chime in on this topic, for as much as we all debate whether roles are lead or support, I wonder if there might be some parts where you genuinely could make a case that it could go either way. And I'd probably argue that Davis in Fences is one of those. Obviously, it's a sizable role, with a few very dominant scenes, and I certainly don't object to anyone arguing that she's the movie's female lead.

But if I'm asking myself, would anyone think this role was supporting if it hadn't been campaigned that way...I still think the answer would be yes, some people would. (Whereas, say, Rooney Mara in Carol -- absolutely not.) Davis is pretty clearly not Washington's equal -- he has notably more scenes without her, and even a good number of scenes that she's in she's basically puttering in the background while Washington spouts monologues. And I don't view Fences as primarily the story of the Troy-Rose relationship -- I'd say it's Troy's story, and his relationship with Rose is just one of several significant threads in the film/play. Using the Mister Tee rubric, if she'd been placed in Best Actress, would I vote for her to win? My answer would be no, because her part just isn't as central as Portman or Huppert's.

All of this is to say, I totally hear the argument that an actress of Davis's stature, in a part that clearly dwarfs some of her competitors in screen time (especially Harris and Williams), would merit a lead placement. But I also think some of the "100% lead" folks are overlooking the fact that she is absent from decent portions of the movie, and whether or not this meets one's definition of support might vary depending on the person.

Also, for comparison's sake, isn't Davis's function in Fences somewhat similar to that of Lucas Hedges in Manchester by the Sea? Despite major screen time, I haven't heard one person argue that he's committing fraud -- everyone seems to agree that his role is clearly secondary to the central lead.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I did my usual avoid-the-Internet routine, so I could watch the show blissfully ignorant. And, since none of the tech awards were televised, best director was the first prize La La Land got, which made the latter categories -- best actress especially -- at least a bit suspenseful. (It might have felt even more suspenseful had I known about La La's shortfall in the design categories.)

I'd say there's still a non-zero chance of Isabelle Huppert overtaking Stone at the Oscars...but not so far above zero that you'd be less than stupid for betting that way. A Portman or Adams win would have opened up the category; this shut it down for all but a miracle.

Viola Davis is truly locked in -- turns out she's the only one who swept the four televised acting awards this year. You have to wonder if she'd even have topped Stone if she'd not opted for the supporting route. For the record, I think she's legitimately placed in support -- possibly because my first exposure to the role was via the un-famous Mary Alice on stage -- but the role is meaty enough it wouldn't be ridiculous as lead, either.

Casey Affleck of course needed to win here, given Denzel's absence. But, as Sabin noted the other day, there's no way we can be sure of this category till Oscar night.

Oddly, I think most of us see Mahersala Ali as far safer, but he's had, relatively, a weak awards season showing, losing two of the TV four.

Kenneth Lonergan winning screenplay gave a boost to what had seemed a faltering campaign -- though it's worth noting BAFTA often fails to predict screenplay categories at the Oscars. (Which is why I don't give Lion a second thought vis a vis Moonlight.) We of course still have the WGA ahead, as more prominent omen. Imagine if Moonlight wins original there; we'll be utterly without guidance.

BAFTA for the past few years has come very close to predicting the tech Oscars perfectly, so its oddball (i.e., non-La La) selections for costume/production design, sound and editing may foretell a far more spread-out evening than many have been envisioning. I was recalling the other day how we imagined, ahead of the 2010 telecast, that The King's Speech was so beloved it might run off a huge number of victories, but it turned out a far more limited winner. Maybe La La Land could perform similarly.

Kubo winning animated feature breaks Zootopia's streak with Globes/PGA, and suggests AMPAS could deal a surprise. Also, something odd: in the BAFTA telecast, they had the Disney film listed as Zootropolis. Did the film go by a different name in the UK? Is this something like the Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone? Seems an odd deviation, given the "-topia" part of the word is derived from an Englishman's literary work.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Okri wrote: The last group of winners without a British thespian was 2011/12 - Plummer (Canadian), Streep and Spencer (American) and Dujardin (French)
But Streep WAS playing Margaret Thatcher though so there's that element to it.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

anonymous1980 wrote:I think Huppert still might have a shot at the Oscars. But Emma winning here indicates strength. If they had gone with, say, Amy Adams here, that at least could have indicated weakness.

I think Dev only won here because it's a British BAFTA thing. Has there ever been an all-American BAFTA winners lineup?

Viola Davis winning here pretty much seals her Oscar. I mean, if even she won here, she's definitely winning the Oscar. Casey Affleck and Emma Stone also make their case. It's also interesting to point out that even though La La Land won the most and won Best Picture, it only won 5 rather that 7 or 8. I wonder if that indicates weakness. Probably not. But if Moonlight had any shot at upsetting it for Picture, it would've at least won a few. Naomie Harris could have upset Viola Davis since she is after all a Brit.
1976/77 - Jack Nicholson, Louise Fletcher, Jodie Foster, Brad Dourif

The last group of winners without a British thespian was 2011/12 - Plummer (Canadian), Streep and Spencer (American) and Dujardin (French)
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Emma was very good. But not great, and didn't have that much to do.

I sure hope the Academy bypasses her for another time.
Reza wrote:So Emma is now a lock at the Oscars.

DAMN!!
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I think Huppert still might have a shot at the Oscars. But Emma winning here indicates strength. If they had gone with, say, Amy Adams here, that at least could have indicated weakness.

I think Dev only won here because it's a British BAFTA thing. Has there ever been an all-American BAFTA winners lineup?

Viola Davis winning here pretty much seals her Oscar. I mean, if even she won here, she's definitely winning the Oscar. Casey Affleck and Emma Stone also make their case. It's also interesting to point out that even though La La Land won the most and won Best Picture, it only won 5 rather that 7 or 8. I wonder if that indicates weakness. Probably not. But if Moonlight had any shot at upsetting it for Picture, it would've at least won a few. Naomie Harris could have upset Viola Davis since she is after all a Brit.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:So Emma is now a lock at the Oscars.

DAMN!!
How so? Isabelle Huppert 's performance in Elle wasn't eligible. The race here was between Stone and Portman, which means that Portman is probably dead in the water, but we knew that already. Huppert is still a possibility.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

So Emma is now a lock at the Oscars.

DAMN!!
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Nothing too surprising. Good to see La La Land not sweeping.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

2017 BAFTA Winners

Post by Big Magilla »

BEST FILM
LA LA LAND Fred Berger, Jordan Horowitz, Marc Platt
OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM
I, DANIEL BLAKE Ken Loach, Rebecca O’Brien, Paul Laverty
OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER
Under the Shadow: BABAK ANVARI (Writer/Director), EMILY LEO, OLIVER ROSKILL, LUCAN TOH (Producers)
FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
SON OF SAUL László Nemes, Gábor Sipos
DOCUMENTARY
13TH Ava DuVernay
ANIMATED FILM
KUBO AND THE TWO STRINGS Travis Knight
DIRECTOR
LA LA LAND Damien Chazelle
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
MANCHESTER BY THE SEA Kenneth Lonergan
ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
LION Luke Davies
LEADING ACTOR
CASEY AFFLECK Manchester by the Sea
LEADING ACTRESS
EMMA STONE La La Land
SUPPORTING ACTOR
DEV PATEL Lion
SUPPORTING ACTRESS
VIOLA DAVIS Fences
ORIGINAL MUSIC
LA LA LAND Justin Hurwitz
CINEMATOGRAPHY
LA LA LAND Linus Sandgren
EDITING
HACKSAW RIDGE John Gilbert
PRODUCTION DESIGN
FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM Stuart Craig, Anna Pinnock
COSTUME DESIGN
JACKIE Madeline Fontaine
MAKE UP & HAIR
FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS J. Roy Helland, Daniel Phillips
SOUND
ARRIVAL Claude La Haye, Bernard Gariépy Strobl, Sylvain Bellemare
SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS
THE JUNGLE BOOK Robert Legato, Dan Lemmon, Andrew R. Jones, Adam Valdez
BRITISH SHORT ANIMATION
A LOVE STORY Khaled Gad, Anushka Kishani Naanayakkara, Elena Ruscombe-King
BRITISH SHORT FILM
HOME Shpat Deda, Afolabi Kuti, Daniel Mulloy, Scott O’Donnell
EE RISING STAR AWARD (voted for by the public)
TOM HOLLAND

Return to “89th Nominations and Winners”