2016 Governor's Awards

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: 2016 Governor's Awards

Post by OscarGuy »

There aren't any rules prohibiting an Honorary going to an existing Oscar winner. It's simply their version of a Lifetime Achievement Award.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Just a question somebody may be able to answer.

I was under the impression that if you had won a competitive Oscar you could not receive an Honorary award from the Academy. According to imdb Anne V. Coates won an Oscar for Lawrence of Arabia.

Either way they are all great choices.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I'm delighted to see Wiseman and Chan win Honorary Awards.

Frederick Wiseman would have deserved an Oscar a long time ago. Discovering Jackie Chan's films as a teenager was a big reason why I started watching films made outside the U.S. Hopefully this Award will have the same effect on the Academy members and they will start looking more actively abroad before they decide who to vote for.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Honoring Chan also honors foreign cinema in a way the Oscars have not done very well in the past, and it's also a statement in support of Chan over the current political and filmic climate in China where he and many of his peers are being threatened by the Chinese government for pay limitations among other issues.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

FilmFan720 wrote:OK, I will be the one here to stand up for Jackie Chan. He may be a bit young for the award (there is certainly time to honor him in the coming decades), but I think it is an inspired choice. Honoring Chan is honoring more than just an actor; it is honoring his work as a fight choreographer, which is artistry unto itself and in a category that isn't honored by a normal award. If the purpose of the honorary Oscar is to spread the wealth among artists who don't work in fields with competitive Oscars, which the Academy has done with casting, preservation, and stunt work in the past few years, then this is a lovely honor.
Yeah. His stunt work is undeniable. A really strong recipient.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Although Wiseman has never even been nominated for an Oscar, he has won three Emmys for his TV documentaries.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OK, I will be the one here to stand up for Jackie Chan. He may be a bit young for the award (there is certainly time to honor him in the coming decades), but I think it is an inspired choice. Honoring Chan is honoring more than just an actor; it is honoring his work as a fight choreographer, which is artistry unto itself and in a category that isn't honored by a normal award. If the purpose of the honorary Oscar is to spread the wealth among artists who don't work in fields with competitive Oscars, which the Academy has done with casting, preservation, and stunt work in the past few years, then this is a lovely honor.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Wiseman is a terrific choice -- a giant of the documentary field, with an enormously singular voice, the kind of which was likely never going to be recognized in the Best Documentary category.

Stalmaster's enormous resume is also worth honoring, especially given that the Academy doesn't have a regular prize for casting directors.

Coates is hardly undeserving of honor, though I always wonder why people who are already Oscar winners are singled out here when there are so many clearly deserving people still as yet unrecognized.

I don't really care if he's carrying the diversity flag or not, Jackie Chan is a pretty lame choice, considering the actors who have yet to be rewarded.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

He's also the only non-white recipient.
Wesley Lovell
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

3 interesting choices. Jackie Chan is ludicrous considering other people still not honored
FilmFan720
Emeritus

2016 Governor's Awards

Post by FilmFan720 »

Jackie Chan, Anne V. Coates, Lynn Stalmaster, and Frederick Wiseman

http://www.oscars.org/news/jackie-chan- ... -governors
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “89th Nominations and Winners”