Ridiculously Early Nomination Predictions

For the films of 2015
flipp525
Laureate

Re: Ridiculously Early Nomination Predictions

Post by flipp525 »

Reza wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
Reza wrote:Alicia Vikander and her film Testament of Youth will get multiple nods. She is quite amazing in this.
She probably has a better chance in supporting for The Danish Girl.
flipp have you seen Testament? It's an amazing lead performance. Vikander is on screen throughout. Rare for a leading lady to have a role with so many shades. She could get two nods - supporting for Danish, if the film turns out well. I can't imagine her not getting a nod for Testament even if the film has been tepid at the boxoffice.
I haven't but will definitely check it out. She's also in another movie, I believe I read in that article. A Jessica Chastain kind of year for her with a welcome-to-the-club nod, perhaps?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:
Reza wrote:Alicia Vikander and her film Testament of Youth will get multiple nods. She is quite amazing in this.
flipp have you seen Testament? It's an amazing lead performance. Vikander is on screen throughout. Rare for a leading lady to have a role with so many shades. She could get two nods - supporting for Danish, if the film turns out well. I can't imagine her not getting a nod for Testament even if the film has been tepid at the boxoffice.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

BAFTAs maybe. Oscars not a chance - the film hasn't exactly set the US box office on fire.

Here a link to The Guardian with 40 potential Oscar nominees. There are going to be a lot of disappointed people whose films simply won't make the Oscar cut for a variety of reasons:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/ju ... 016-awards
Last edited by Precious Doll on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Alicia Vikander and her film Testament of Youth will get multiple nods. She is quite amazing in this.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't know if she'll get a Best Actress nomination, but I suspect she may be in for a Best Original Screenplay nomination.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

At this point, Amy Schumer seems to be a shoo-in for a Golden Globe (Musical or Comedy) nomination for Trainwreck. It's a star-making performance that is garnering fantastic reviews (even from the likes of Woody Allen who seems to rarely comment on other people's work these days or, really, ever). Could Schumer get an Oscar nomination out of this? She is trending hard.
Last edited by flipp525 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Eenusch wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Joy, another David O. Russell-Jennifer Lawrence-Bradley Cooper project about the inventor of the Miracle-Mop, will probably bring nominations for all three of them in addition to the film. That would make Cooper a four-time-in-a-row nominee which would provide a strong narrative for a win.
Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper are this generation's Greer Garson-Walter Pidgeon.
I could actually see Lawrence killing it in a remake of Mrs. Parkington :P

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Eenusch wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Joy, another David O. Russell-Jennifer Lawrence-Bradley Cooper project about the inventor of the Miracle-Mop, will probably bring nominations for all three of them in addition to the film. That would make Cooper a four-time-in-a-row nominee which would provide a strong narrative for a win.
Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper are this generation's Greer Garson-Walter Pidgeon.
LOL.
Eenusch
Graduate

Post by Eenusch »

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Taking another look at the Ricki and the Flash previews which are popping up all over, I'm not sure this one is going to go anywhere. This obviously goes against my earlier prediction that Rick Springfield, of all people, might be able to net a nomination. It really just looks too cheesy, formulaic and, at times, ridiculous. The Best Actress slate this year is bursting with candidates (we could conceivably see the first time since 1991 where two candidates from the same film land in this category with Blanchett/Mara for Carol, so I'm not sure Meryl will get her usual placeholder nod this year.

I'm prepared to be proven wrong after watching the actual film, but not feeling it at the moment.

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

anonymous1980 wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
flipp525 wrote:I've heard phenomenal things about Jane Fonda's brief turn in Youth, so pencil her in for a possible "welcome back" style nod in support.
She's only in one scene (though she briefly appears in two more). THAT scene is, of course, VERY showy - completely different from anything she has done till now, except maybe her Oscar-nominated turn in The Morning After. Complete with fake-blond curly hair and heavy make-up, she plays an aging former movie star, outspoken, bitter and ferocious, funny and tragic at the same time. But then again, good or not it's just ONE scene, and the times of Beatrice Straight-like nominations are over.
Viola Davis got nominated essentially for just one scene not too long ago. This year, Laura Dern got nominated for a performance that's also rather brief.
Viola Davis is a good recent example - except that, like Straight, she was in a popular movie and one from which almost any other actor was nominated, too. I doubt this will happen to Youth.
Needless to say, Laura Dern in Wild is a completely different case - if only because she's in about one thousand scenes of her movie.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

ITALIANO wrote:
flipp525 wrote:I've heard phenomenal things about Jane Fonda's brief turn in Youth, so pencil her in for a possible "welcome back" style nod in support.
She's only in one scene (though she briefly appears in two more). THAT scene is, of course, VERY showy - completely different from anything she has done till now, except maybe her Oscar-nominated turn in The Morning After. Complete with fake-blond curly hair and heavy make-up, she plays an aging former movie star, outspoken, bitter and ferocious, funny and tragic at the same time. But then again, good or not it's just ONE scene, and the times of Beatrice Straight-like nominations are over.
Viola Davis got nominated essentially for just one scene not too long ago. This year, Laura Dern got nominated for a performance that's also rather brief.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Return to “88th Predictions and Precursors”