Cannes Film Festival 2015

For the films of 2015
Okri
Tenured

Re: Cannes Film Festival 2015

Post by Okri »

Grand Prix: “Son of Saul” (Laszlo Nemes, Hungary)

Director: Hou Hsiao-hsien, “The Assassin” (Taiwan)
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Actor: Vincent Lindon, “The Measure of a Man”
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Jury Prize: Yorgos Lanthimos, “The Lobster”
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

There was a tie in best actress, with Rooney Mara and Emmanuelle Bercot “Mon roi”. Chronic won best screenplay
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'll guess...

Palme d'Or - Carol
Grand Prix - Son of Saul
Jury Prize - Tale of Tales
Best Actor - Vincent Lindon, The Measure of a Man
Best Actress - Zhao Tao, Mountains May Depart
Best Director - Hou Hsiao-Hsien, The Assassin
Best Screenplay - The Lobster
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Ugh. It's just so embarrassing. Harvey Weinstein is such a blight. And I truly loathe how these stupid Oscar bloggers now set the narratives for who will be nominated where.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

flipp525 wrote:Could we see the first Best Actress nominees from the same film since Thelma & Louise for Blanchett and Mara? It would be really hard to argue that Mara is playing a supporting role in that film from what I've read.
Since it's a Harvey Weinstein property, I fear he'll do to Mara what he did to Julia Roberts year before last.

Already, the folks at Awards Watch are putting Mara supporting, knowing full well she's not, because it's what they expect. Which is partly how these frauds have become common practice.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Could we see the first Best Actress nominees from the same film since Thelma & Louise for Blanchett and Mara? It would be really hard to argue that Mara is playing a supporting role in that film from what I've read.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I could see this jury going for Carol.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I’ve been posting reviews in the Films of 2015 thread for those Cannes movies that I anticipate being factors in the Oscar race outside the foreign-language category – which essentially means, the ones in English. The films likely to win prizes at Cannes are, of course, a totally different group (though maybe Carol will cross over). My brief overview of what’s going on

Just playing today, and gaining excited response, is Hou’s The Assassin – lots of Palme talk as soon as it was finished screening.

Prior to that, Jia’s Mountains May Depart and Nemes’ Son of Saul, along with Haynes’ Carol, had been touted as most likely to win the top prize – though all could also win best director or the Grand Prix instead. And Carol certainly has its big shot at a dual Best Actress.

Sorrentino’s Youth supposedly got loud ovations at its screening earlier, but the French critics have been cool. It’s not out of the conversation. And Audiard’s Dheepan is yet to screen.

Moretti’s Mia Madre could win a lower-down category – or even best actor, if the Coens want to come through for their old pal Turturro.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:I imagine to some degree it boils down to taste and there are only so many slots to be filled but it isn't so much the rejects as the inclusions over the years like John Hillcoat's Lawless & Andrew Dominik's Killing Them Softly (not a bad film but not worthy of a competition slot). They are both prime examples of pandering to Hollywood and the media.
Not to mention the critically panned "Only God Forgives", an example of inclusion most likely based solely on the author itself (Winding Refn had just won Best Director a couple of years before).
Exactly, how could I forget that one.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Precious Doll wrote:I imagine to some degree it boils down to taste and there are only so many slots to be filled but it isn't so much the rejects as the inclusions over the years like John Hillcoat's Lawless & Andrew Dominik's Killing Them Softly (not a bad film but not worthy of a competition slot). They are both prime examples of pandering to Hollywood and the media.
Not to mention the critically panned "Only God Forgives", an example of inclusion most likely based solely on the author itself (Winding Refn had just won Best Director a couple of years before).
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Probably one of the biggest embarrassments for Cannes in recent years for the rejection of Mike Leigh's Vera Drake which was then selected for Venice winning the Golden Lion & Best Actress to universal acclaim.

The then director (who may still be running the show) rejected Vera Drake because he was 'scared for Mike Leigh'. WTF was that meant to mean? Clearly he didn't think the film was any good.

Leaving Las Vegas was rejected by both Cannes & Venice. I imagine to some degree it boils down to taste and there are only so many slots to be filled but it isn't so much the rejects as the inclusions over the years like John Hillcoat's Lawless & Andrew Dominik's Killing Them Softly (not a bad film but not worthy of a competition slot). They are both prime examples of pandering to Hollywood and the media.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The latest Depleschin film was submitted but rejected for the main competition, although it will reportedly get a Director's Fortnight slot.

The Mortetti film just opened in Italy. The few reviews I've skimmed have been pretty good.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:The line up this year looks interesting, though does the world really need another adaptation of MacBeth. Roman Polanski made what is the definitive version over 40 years ago that is still as fresh now and it must have been back then (I first saw it in the early 80s).
Granted Polanski's Macbeth had it's visual delights but out of all of Shakespeare's famous plays, Macbeth, has been given very few big screen presentations - Welles' version was also quite striking and the Bollywood update - Maqbool - set in the Bombay underworld was also superb. So it's about time we got another version. I'm kind of intrigued by the casting of Marion Cotillard. I suppose Cate Blanchett would have been a rather ferocious Lady Macbeth who I've often envisioned in the part.

Return to “88th Predictions and Precursors”