WGA Nominees

For the films of 2015
CalWilliam
Temp

Re: WGA Nominees

Post by CalWilliam »

Yes, I'll try to concel my histeria from this time onwards, but I think the general feeling of disillusionment towards this year's potential outcome is getting everyone really tired about how undistinguished the consensus is.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

The Original BJ wrote:Your individual mileage may vary, but assuming these repeat, these will be some of the few winners on Oscar night that won't make me feel like I am trapped in room.
I have to admit, the speed at which I stopped caring about this year is startling even to me. The diversity debate was a disheartening eye-opener, the snubs/also-rans of the nominees, the casual way the acting categories have settled down (and if it's not settled, the frontrunners are uninspired). I mean, even rooting for George Miller is weird because if it happens, I'll come back here and read of Cal's hysteria and Italiano's condescension. Brie Larson is definitely an acceptable choice, but she ranks fourth in her category for me (with Lawrence still unseen). The Big Short will be among my least favourite screenplay winners (it's easily last in this group) and Spotlight is an equally uninspired choice (though original is lacking this year in a big way).

Frankly, I haven't even convinced myself I'm going to watch the oscars yet.
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

Good for Spotlight, but Carol IS the best adapted screenplay and should win the Oscar as a sign of respect for the film, assuming that neither Mara nor Burwell will win. That won't happen, of course. They prefer Margot Robbie explaining some stuff in a bubble bath.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:God, am I really going to have to watch Trumbo?
Lol
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Your individual mileage may vary, but assuming these repeat, these will be some of the few winners on Oscar night that won't make me feel like I am trapped in room.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The rare year when (I'm presuming) the disqualifications will not figure in; these should both repeat at AMPAS.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

The winners were Spotlight and The Big Short.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I voted for Spotlight and Steve Jobs.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

God, am I really going to have to watch Trumbo?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Why was mad max ineligible? It was produced by Warner Bros. which is a guild signatory.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:A screenplay about a blacklisted screenwriter? How could it NOT have been nominated? Of course, what else could have been? Adapted isn't very anemic, but with Room, Brooklyn and a handful of others out of the competition, it sure looks anemic. Revenant and Mad Max aren't dialogue-heavy films. Are we really that surprised that neither was a major player here?
Mad Max was ineligible.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Ugh, Trumbo has more guild support than Carol.
"How's the despair?"
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Mad Max fits more the Avatar/Gravity comparison. Then again, I'm shocked that a movie with so many "SUB-text" was not nominated.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

A screenplay about a blacklisted screenwriter? How could it NOT have been nominated? Of course, what else could have been? Adapted isn't very anemic, but with Room, Brooklyn and a handful of others out of the competition, it sure looks anemic. Revenant and Mad Max aren't dialogue-heavy films. Are we really that surprised that neither was a major player here?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Yeah, sadly, Trumbo was just the sort of choice this guild would make, for reasons of pure narcissism. (I refuse to believe writers viewed that as a good script.)

Granting the easier field of play, this is obviously a much better day for Carol -- and for Steve Jobs, as well. But that category's going to be a demolition derby.

On the other hand: you have to feel The Revenant isn't going to be significantly in play. If it couldn't make it into this depleted field...even should it get the glamour nominations, its best picture run will probably be Gravity/Avatar style, missing screenplay.

The original nominees were pretty much the only possibilities, weren't they? I have to say, I love this WGA omissions policy; it makes their nominations the one set that don't more or less predict the AMPAS group.

Return to “88th Predictions and Precursors”