Re: ASC Nominees

Post by Big Magilla »

The Revenant won.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Mister Tee wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:I mentioned this on my site, but Bridge of Spies, as of today, is the only production to secure at least one nomination from all of the six guilds that have announced so far.

Mad Max (stunt cast at SAG), Sicario, Revenant and The Big Short all have five mentions so far.
Is ACE not a guild? Because Bridge of Spies was notably omitted there.
Well, shit. For some reason I thought ACE nominated him. That makes them all tied with 5-for-6.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

My Robert Richardson prediction is based on Academy voters seem to like him more than ASC voters. He's never won an ASC award, although he does have 10 nominations.

On the flip side, a nomination for The Martian would make sense but Darius Wolski seems doesn't seem to be a beloved entity. He has one ASC nomination for Crimson Tide on a resume of competent blockbusters. The Martian has its share of interiors as well.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

OscarGuy wrote:I mentioned this on my site, but Bridge of Spies, as of today, is the only production to secure at least one nomination from all of the six guilds that have announced so far.

Mad Max (stunt cast at SAG), Sicario, Revenant and The Big Short all have five mentions so far.
Is ACE not a guild? Because Bridge of Spies was notably omitted there.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I mentioned this on my site, but Bridge of Spies, as of today, is the only production to secure at least one nomination from all of the six guilds that have announced so far.

Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

The Original BJ wrote:Are the Hateful Eight predictions just based on Robert Richardson's popularity? Because, give or take some of the snowy establishing shots, that movie is basically a filmed stage play, and a Cinematography nomination wouldn't be that exciting to me.
And both The Master and Interstellar missed out on cinematography nods, so it's not like the AMPAS branch will bite on the 70mm angle...
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Are the Hateful Eight predictions just based on Robert Richardson's popularity? Because, give or take some of the snowy establishing shots, that movie is basically a filmed stage play, and a Cinematography nomination wouldn't be that exciting to me.

Doesn't The Martian seem like another very possible candidate to bump one of these come Oscar time?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Again, if we were asked to bet on whether Bridge of Spies would pick up an Eddie or an ASC nomination, we'd all be out money.

I thought it would be The Hateful Eight instead of Bridge of Spies. I'll likely predict The Hateful Eight.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

ASC Nominees

Post by Mister Tee »

Not all guilds are boycotting Carol.

Bridge of Spies - Janusz Kaminski
Carol - Edward Lachman
Mad Max: Fury Road - John Seale
The Revenant - Emmanuel Lubezki
Sicario - Roger Deakins

Give or take a Hateful Eight or Son of Saul, this is a pretty predictable field (a rarity, this year), and should be close to the Oscar group.

Return to “88th Predictions and Precursors”