BFCA Critics Choice Awards

For the films of 2015
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: BFCA Critics Choice Awards

Post by Big Magilla »

The show itself was tighter than past shows even with the TV awards combined with the film awards on the same show for the first time.

The host, T.J.. Miller, was actually funny and the nearly 85-year-old William Shatner was used to good advantage in an off-stage perch where he periodically announced the winners in categories not presented on stage.

Alicia Vikander and Jacob Tremblay were the most enthusiastic film winners, although they were matched in their enthusiasm by several of the TV winners. Tremblay had the audiences oohing and ahing and mouthing "he's so cute" as he saluted his fellow nominees and thanked just about everyone associated with the film just like a grown-up while presenter Bradley James picked up the mic and held it for him so as not to obscure his face.

Worst was Judd Appatow whose long introduction of Amy Schumer was mostly bleeped. Why he, Schumer and several others felt the need to pepper their speeches with four letter words they knew would be bleeped I don't know. It was as bad as last week's Globes in that regard.

Schumer herself went on and on in her special award acceptance speech until she ran out of gas. Then when she won for Best Actress in a Comedy, with nothing left to say, went on and on to use up her time anyway.

Thankfully most of the awards for Mad Max were offstage. The only one presented on stage was Best Director which was accepted by five of the women in the movie, two of whom spoke.

Leo and Brie weren't there. Leo, however, accepted his award via satellite "from Europe" where is currently promoting The Revenant.

Aside from Appatow, all the presenters did a professional job. Unless I've forgotten someone, the biggest name was Best Picture presenter Sharon Stone, and she hasn't really been a name since the first Broadcast Critics awards were bestowed in 1996. Hell, the red carpet wasn't even red - it was pale blue.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The winners:

FILM

BEST PICTURE
Spotlight

BEST ACTOR
Leonardo DiCaprio
The Revenant

BEST ACTRESS
Brie Larson
Room

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Sylvester Stallone, Creed

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl

BEST YOUNG ACTOR/ACTRESS
Jacob Tremblay, Room

BEST ACTING ENSEMBLE
Spotlight

BEST DIRECTOR
George Miller
Mad Max: Fury Road

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Josh Singer and Tom McCarthy, Spotlight

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Charles Randolph and Adam McKay, The Big Short

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Emmanuel Lubezki, The Revenant

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
Colin Gibson, Mad Max: Fury Road

BEST EDITING
Margaret Sixel, Mad Max: Fury Road

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Jenny Beavan, Mad Max: Fury Road

BEST HAIR & MAKEUP

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Inside Out

BEST ACTION MOVIE

BEST ACTOR IN AN ACTION MOVIE
Tom Hardy, Mad Max: Fury Road

BEST ACTRESS IN AN ACTION MOVIE
Charlize Theron, Mad Max: Fury Road

BEST COMEDY
The Big Short

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Christian Bale, The Big Short

BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Amy Schumer, Trainwreck

BEST SCI-FI/HORROR MOVIE
Ex Machina

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Son of Saul

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Amy

BEST SONG
“See You Again”, Charlie Puth and Wiz Khalifa, Furious 7

BEST SCORE
Ennio Morricone, The Hateful Eight
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

it felt empty and I really don't have an affinity for the new characters. Just shells.
--nightwingnova

I didn't feel like that at all. The characters of Finn (John Boyega) and Rey (Daisy Ridley), as well to a slightly lesser extent Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) were engaging. I think the franchise is in good hands with these characters/actors if they follow through in the next installments.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

It was satisfying to see the old gang again, but seriously, it was not that good.

It would have been so rich if all the stuff fanboys knew were woven into it, as references, hints and nuances. But, instead, it felt empty and I really don't have an affinity for the new characters. Just shells.

The Original BJ wrote:And also, exactly what kind of ratings bump do they think they're going to get from this? Are a bunch of Star Wars fans who had no idea what this awards show even was now going to turn on A&E to watch a ceremony because The Force Awakens is nominated in ONE category?

The desperation here just boggles the mind.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

And also, exactly what kind of ratings bump do they think they're going to get from this? Are a bunch of Star Wars fans who had no idea what this awards show even was now going to turn on A&E to watch a ceremony because The Force Awakens is nominated in ONE category?

The desperation here just boggles the mind.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Thanks Tee/Magilla.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

It's all just so irrational, and it's wrong from so many points of view - these people obviously never studied philosophy, mathematics, art history... Yes, I think it comes from a wrong education - it's noy just stupidity, it's ignorance.

Plus, I mean - all this for... Star Wars The Force Awakens! Not for, say, Bonnie & Clyde or Nashville. For Star Wars The Force Awakens.

America, America...
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I heard that the head of the KCFCC resigned in disgust.

If you're going to add Star Wars to Best Picture, but not add it to every other category you would have nominated it in, you have no business in the business.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The Original BJ wrote: What's truly baffling is that it's not like these people somehow could have been living under such an enormous rock that they didn't KNOW there was a new Star Wars installment coming out in mid-December! I mean, that's the only explanation for voting for year-end awards in categories like Best Action Movie and Best Visual Effects without maybe waiting a few days to check out the new Star Wars first, right?
I'm thinking they thought they will be able to get an advanced screening and/or screeners for Star Wars so they didn't change their schedule and when they couldn't get an earlier screening and saw Star Wars was well-received and a box-office phenomenon at that, they pulled this shit.

I'm just shocked that there weren't enough members within this organization who had enough intelligence and integrity to say, "What? That's stupid!" to overrule this suggestion. It would've been almost better if they just voted to just give it a special achievement award or something.

Here's what BFCA member Nathaniel Rogers had to say about it.

Apparently at least two people resigned over this.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Okri, If you're going by the list on Wikipedia, it omits the 11th alphabetical entry, You Can Count on Me.

According to Tom O'Neil's book, Movie Awards, winners in all categories except Best Picture were announced on December 20, 2000 and Best Picture on January 22nd when the awards were presented. Tom Hanks and Robert Zemeckis are listed as runners-up for Best Director and Actor for Cast Away as of December 20th so the whole thing is rather odd.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Of course it was going to happen -- and that Kris Tapley article really elucidates the pathetic motivations behind this organization that we have suspected all along.

But this whole situation really makes one wonder, is there anything this group could do to make them not a thing anymore? (I mean, to the extent that they are even a thing.) You'd have to imagine the only reason they'd lose their televised status is if the stars stopped going, and I don't see actors in the throes of awards season passing up the chance to be honored at an awards show en masse.

What's truly baffling is that it's not like these people somehow could have been living under such an enormous rock that they didn't KNOW there was a new Star Wars installment coming out in mid-December! I mean, that's the only explanation for voting for year-end awards in categories like Best Action Movie and Best Visual Effects without maybe waiting a few days to check out the new Star Wars first, right?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I had to go to an old computer I can barely access anymore, but I found the Broadcasters list for 2000. As I recall, they didn't release nominees in those days; they announced a winner and the runners up.

That year, Gladiator was the winner, and the finalists were Almost Famous, Billy Elliot, Cast Away, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Erin Brockovich, Quills, 13 Days, Traffic, Wonder Boys and You Can Count on Me.

So, by what I recorded, they had 11.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Okri wrote:Cast Away question: in 2000, the BFCA selected ten films for their top ten and Cast Away is one of them. What is the 11th film they keep citing as precedent?
I have no idea. The comment originates this article:

http://www.duanedudek.com/blog/2015/12/ ... to-eleven/
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Cast Away question: in 2000, the BFCA selected ten films for their top ten and Cast Away is one of them. What is the 11th film they keep citing as precedent?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

OscarGuy wrote:Are you sure? I heard the board voted NOT to amend the Best Picture slate.
Read it and weep.

http://variety.com/2015/film/in-content ... 201666782/

A move too hackish for Kris Tapley. The mind reels.

Return to “88th Predictions and Precursors”