Golden Globe Nominations

For the films of 2015
nightwingnova
Assistant

Re: Golden Globe Nominations

Post by nightwingnova »

Keaton was unremarkable. Ruffalo while interesting, didn't have that much more interesting or deep to do. McAdams just reacts and emotes. The early buzz was wrong. I liked Liev Schreiber, but especially thought Stanley Tucci's work was superlative. You barely recognized him. I also greatly admired Jamey Sheridan and Billy Crudup. Overall, it was a fine, fine ensemble piece. But Keaton, Ruffalo and McAdams didn't do enough for nominations.

[quote="The Original BJ"]

Supporting Actor wasn't the total shake-up from the SAG roster some of us thought it might be, but it did give recognition to two additional candidates already thought in the running (Dano/Stallone), continued to endorse the surprising strength of Michael Shannon, and yet again left off the Spotlight guys. Do we think the lack of one standout is costing that movie acting nominations? It's incredible to me that a strong Best Picture candidate so highly praised for its ensemble could possibly be left out of acting nominations completely at the Oscars.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OscarGuy wrote:I posted a bunch of small commentary on my website:

http://www.cinemasight.com/precursor-73 ... ions-2015/
Wesley, where were the unexceptional reviews for Room? It has a freaking 96% on Rotten Tomatoes and is in the high 80s on Metacritic. It got rave reviews!!!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The Original BJ wrote:Cranston and Mirren are SUCH lazy picks -- actors who have been great elsewhere doing ho-hum work in a warmed-over wannabe prestige pic. I hadn't thought them in the running for Oscar attention, but now I fear nominations for both.
I have to think the Academy will go for something more interesting in the end then endorse these two performances. So, I haven't seen Trumbo, but I watched the trailer and it just looks so derivative. "Warmed-over wannabe prestige pic" is a great description, actually. You can almost hear the boardroom pitch: "Cranston is on fire with recent Emmy and Tony wins. Let's get him the Oscar!" It's the type of movie that critics dismiss because there's nothing that surprising or innovative about it, but the elderly Academy voters will probably love.

Also, WTF is Infinitely Polar Bear?

Dennis Quaid said "Sheesha Ronan" for Saorsie Ronan this morning. The new John Travolta?
Last edited by flipp525 on Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I posted a bunch of small commentary on my website:

http://www.cinemasight.com/precursor-73 ... ions-2015/
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

To my surprise, the Finnish film The Fencer got nominated for Best Foreign Language Film, the first time since 1956 that Globes have nominated a Finnish film for Foreign Lingo. (Nevermind the fact that the film is actually in Estonian language)

I might actually have to see that film now, although I'm not looking forward to it, as I haven't liked anything that its director has done in the past.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

These were a lot more in line with general consensus thinking than yesterday's SAG surprises, though of course, some of yesterday's surprises prefigured some Globe nominations that seem less surprising today.

Much to the chagrin of some of us (and joy of others), I think we have to start taking Mad Max: Fury Road more seriously for major Oscar attention than many of us did yesterday. The movie seems to be getting attention more along the lines of The Lord of the Rings films or Gravity -- critics' prizes and major Globe recognition -- than any summer blockbuster in eons.

On the flip side, can we stop talking about Creed as a Picture/Director candidate? Stallone made his acting shortlist -- as if the Globes would pass that up -- but even Jordan couldn't crack a pretty-thin Best Actor field. I'm just not seeing evidence this movie is the contender some think it is.

I'd say the biggest losers in terms of likelihood of nominations from this group were Brooklyn and Bridge of Spies, two handsome historical dramas with foreign elements which landed a sole acting nomination for each. The biggest winner (after Mad Max): probably Room, which I thought would be too American indie to score with this group, but nabbed a Best Picture nod anyway.

I'd thought Steve Jobs might go the way of Milk/Capote with this group and be left out of many major races, and while it missed Picture/Director, those four citations aren't nothing. The gloom of its box office doesn't seem to be dampering its awards prospects in any hugely significant way, and I still think the Academy will respond well to it.

When Carol was left off the Screenplay roster, I had a fear the Globes would turn this into another Far From Heaven, which seemed like a major awards player until the Hollywood Foreign Press crashed that party. Luckily, it scored all of its other expected nominations.

Supporting Actor wasn't the total shake-up from the SAG roster some of us thought it might be, but it did give recognition to two additional candidates already thought in the running (Dano/Stallone), continued to endorse the surprising strength of Michael Shannon, and yet again left off the Spotlight guys. Do we think the lack of one standout is costing that movie acting nominations? It's incredible to me that a strong Best Picture candidate so highly praised for its ensemble could possibly be left out of acting nominations completely at the Oscars.

The Mara/Vikander category fraud situation just gets more and more interesting, doesn't it? Both actresses place in lead -- making a solid argument they don't NEED to be demoted to get attention -- yet Vikander also gets a second nomination in support as well. (At this point, it's really seeming stupid that Vikander's films aren't pushing her in different categories, to try for TWO nominations.) Also, doesn't it seem like Vikander/Ex Machina stands a decent chance of actually winning her supporting actress nod?

Mainly due to my own grouchy opinion about it, I had a hunch The Hateful Eight wouldn't be an across-the-board candidate, and was glad to see it left off Picture/Director, but I figured they'd have to get QT in there somewhere for a nomination.

Cranston and Mirren are SUCH lazy picks -- actors who have been great elsewhere doing ho-hum work in a warmed-over wannabe prestige pic. I hadn't thought them in the running for Oscar attention, but now I fear nominations for both.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The Spotlight guys appear to be cannibalizing each other. I had thought, going into the early part of the season, that one of them would win. I'm wondering who steps into that spot now? Rylance? Elba?

Glad to see Shannon get another nomination here; apparently Broad Green screened 99 Homes VERY widely. I still think he's lead (albeit second lead to Andrew Garfield), but I'm really happy with any recognition that he (and the movie) gets.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Not as audacious as I hoped. No Spotlight performers which has got to be troubling. Interesting to see BJ'S bird in hand theory playing out so strongly.i did not expect Dano to hold on at all.

Could this be the year with the smallest best picture slate since the switch?
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

FilmFan720 wrote:Well, Mad Max is holding on stronger than I thought it would. You have to imagine that the PGA will throw it a nomination, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I think it needs a DGA nomination now, but I'm closer to thinking this is a possibility than ever before.

I also guess we have to see Michael Shannon, Bryan Cranston and Helen Mirren as real possibilities. I also think that The Big Short might be a dark horse no one saw coming.

With all of their star-whoring, do we discount Will Smith and Jane Fonda as just that, or are they actually in the conversation? Also, no Johnny Depp...
Helen Mirren's nominations for the last couple of days strike me as the same kind of nominations she received for Hitchcock and didn't replicate with the Academy.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Well, Mad Max is holding on stronger than I thought it would. You have to imagine that the PGA will throw it a nomination, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I think it needs a DGA nomination now, but I'm closer to thinking this is a possibility than ever before.

I also guess we have to see Michael Shannon, Bryan Cranston and Helen Mirren as real possibilities. I also think that The Big Short might be a dark horse no one saw coming.

With all of their star-whoring, do we discount Will Smith and Jane Fonda as just that, or are they actually in the conversation? Also, no Johnny Depp...
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Golden Globe Nominations

Post by The Original BJ »

Best Picture (Drama)
Carol
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

Best Picture (Comedy/Musical)
The Big Short
Joy
The Martian
Spy
Trainwreck

Best Director
Alejandro G. Iñárritu (The Revenant)
Todd Haynes (Carol)
Tom McCarthy (Spotlight)
George Miller (Mad Max: Fury Road)
Ridley Scott (The Martian)

Best Actor (Drama)
Bryan Cranston (Trumbo)
Leonardo DiCaprio (The Revenant)
Michael Fassbender (Steve Jobs)
Eddie Redmayne (The Danish Girl)
Will Smith (Concussion)

Best Actor (Comedy/Musical)
Christian Bale (The Big Short)
Steve Carell (The Big Short)
Matt Damon (The Martian)
Al Pacino (Danny Collins)
Mark Ruffalo (Infinitely Polar Bear)

Best Actress (Drama)
Cate Blanchett (Carol)
Brie Larson (Room)
Rooney Mara (Carol)
Saoirse Ronan (Brooklyn)
Alicia Vikander (The Danish Girl)

Best Actress (Comedy Musical)
Jennifer Lawrence (Joy)
Melissa McCarthy (Spy)
Amy Schumer (Trainwreck)
Maggie Smith (The Lady in the Van)
Lily Tomlin (Grandma)

Best Supporting Actor
Paul Dano (Love & Mercy)
Idris Elba (Beasts of No Nation)
Mark Rylance (Bridge of Spies)
Michael Shannon (99 Homes)
Sylvester Stallone (Creed)

Best Supporting Actress
Jane Fonda (Youth)
Jennifer Jason Leigh (The Hateful Eight)
Helen Mirren (Trumbo)
Alicia Vikander (Ex Machina)
Kate Winslet (Steve Jobs)

Best Screenplay
The Big Short
The Hateful Eight
Room
Spotlight
Steve Jobs

Best Foreign Language Film
The Brand New Testament
The Club
The Fencer
Mustang
Son of Saul

Best Animated Feature
Anomalisa
The Good Dinosaur
Inside Out
The Peanuts Movie
Shaun the Sheep Movie

Best Original Song
Love Me Like You Do (Fifty Shades of Grey)
One Kind of Love (Love & Mercy)
See You Again (Furious 7)
Simple Song #3 (Youth)
Writing’s on the Wall (Spectre)

Best Original Score
Carol
The Danish Girl
The Hateful Eight
The Revenant
Steve Jobs

Return to “88th Predictions and Precursors”