SAG Nomination Predictions

Post by The Original BJ »

Male Actor in a Leading Role:
Matt Damon, The Martian
Johnny Depp, Black Mass
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

This category seems ripe for a surprise due to the boredom factor of some of these candidates...but don't the most predictable possibilities seem way ahead at this point?

Female Actor in a Leading Role:
Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn
Lily Tomlin, Grandma

I imagine if Rampling gains further traction, it will be as a late-breaking candidate.

Male Actor in a Supporting Role:
Benicio Del Toro, Sicario
Michael Keaton, Spotlight
Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
Sylvester Stallone, Creed

But Paul Dano, Idris Elba, Tom Hardy, and Jacob Tremblay strike me as nearly as likely, with other surprises certainly possible as well.

Female Actor in a "Supporting" Role:
Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Rooney Mara, Carol
Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
Julie Walters, Brooklyn
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

But who knows? I think there's a good chance we get another Naomi Watts/St. Vincent-style nomination that no one could have predicted.

Ensemble Cast:
Brooklyn
Joy
The Martian
Spotlight
Steve Jobs

This is always a tough one to predict because everything seems on the table -- you never know if voters will like big casts from more minor contenders, or smaller casts from movies they just like a lot. And it's always hard to know if the late releases have been widely seen either. But...this is what I came up with. Although I admit I'm leaning a bit on wishful thinking with the Steve Jobs prediction. And I'm starting to hear some bad buzz on Joy, but for now I'll stick to my gut and keep it in here, because I thought it would likely place when I was watching the movie.

Return to “88th Predictions and Precursors”