Los Angeles Film Critics

For the films of 2015
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: Los Angeles Film Critics

Post by ITALIANO »

Well, first of all Charlotte Rampling has a chance at being nominated only if at least one between Mara and Vikander is considered Supporting by the Academy. We know that it will probably happen, but we aren't sure. If BOTH are nominated in Supporting, her chances are definitely bigger.

Oscar Guy is right in pointing out the differences between Amour and 45 Years - they really can't be compared. And there's another thing - while a BAFTA nomination for Rampling would be quite obvious and expected - she is, after all, a celebrated British icon, and her movie is also British - for Riva getting nominated there (and later winning) was a personal triumph, as she not only isn't British or in a British movie, but also hadn't been seen on British screens for maybe decades. And she was even older than Rampling. It was the clear sign that she had a strong potential - and as Precious Doll says it's possible that she actually came close to win the Oscar, too.

The only advantage that in theory Rampling has over Riva (from the Academy's point of view) is that she's much more famous in America than Riva has ever been. So I can understand that they might want to finally reward her with a nomination. But in all honesty I can't see her winning - not this year and not for that movie.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I agree a BAFTA nomination for Rampling would be no guarantee of an Oscar nod, but 45 Years hasn't even opened in the U.S. Her strong showing in critics' awards balloting and her late-breaking campaigning, though, should raise the interest rate in voters in looking at the film's screener and strongly considering her. Whether she makes it or not is still problematic, but if she does, she could emerge the winner if Blanchett and Mara cancel each other out and the majority thinks Ronan and Larson have decades of chances ahead of them, something the 69-year-old Rampling does not, although like her father, she could stay active until she dies at 100.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm going to throw a bucket of water on this discussion of Rampling. I won't say she can't be nominated. She very well could...however, let's not conflate the Emmanuelle Riva comparison. Amour was an Oscar nominee for Best Picture and was a leading contender for (and won) Foreign Language Film. Michael Haneke was nominated for Best Director and Best Original Screenplay. 45 Years is a contender nowhere else but for a Best Actress nomination. I love Charlotte Rampling. I don't recall seeing her in anything before Swimming Pool, but I fell in love with her from her performance in that film. I even think she was superb in the slowly deteriorating Dexter the season she appeared. I just don't think getting a BAFTA nomination will help her out as much as it did Riva.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

anonymous1980 wrote:Charlotte Rampling could still bounce back with a BAFTA nom. That's EXTREMELY possible.
Exactly. As Emmanuelle Riva recently demonstrated. She wasn't nominated for a SAG or Globe, went on to win the BAFTA and probably came very close to the Oscar (well, I'd like to think so anyway).
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I see Vikander repeating her double Globe nod at the Oscars, but if they don't want to give her a double-dip then Rampling is the most likely beneficiary.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

anonymous1980 wrote:Charlotte Rampling could still bounce back with a BAFTA nom. That's EXTREMELY possible.
Yes she will get a Bafta nod (as will Maggie :) ). I think Rampling could get an Oscar nod if either Rooney Mara or Alicia Vikander are relegated to the supporting category.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Charlotte Rampling could still bounce back with a BAFTA nom. That's EXTREMELY possible.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I'm beginning to think Rampling could go all the way with 45 Years. She won the Silver Bear in Berlin earlier in the year, but has been under the radar while most of the blogosphere has been looking in other directions. Her whole career has been like that from Georgy Girl to The Damned to The Night Porter to A Farewell to Arms to The Verdict to The Swimming Pool. Finally at 69 she's getting the kind of awards recognition that's usually reserved for her grander contemporaries.
Her most "under the radar" recent (compared to the films you mention, Magilla) performances have been in the troika - Under the Sand (2000), Swimming Pool (2003) and Heading South (2005). Since then she has appeared in many films but only in small parts with the exception of I, Anna (2012), which was directed by her son, and now 45 Years (2015). By the way, don't think she made a film called A Farewell to Arms. Or did she?

SAG omitted her today. That probably hurts her chances for an Oscar nod.
I meant Farewell, My Lovely.

I did mention Swimming Pool, but yes, she was equally amazing in Under the Sand. I haven't seen Heading South of I, Anna. know she's done a lot of cameo work lately, but I only one I think I've seen is Never Let Me Go.
Her no-show at the SAGs and Globes most probably now sadly dashes her chances for an Oscar nod.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I'm beginning to think Rampling could go all the way with 45 Years. She won the Silver Bear in Berlin earlier in the year, but has been under the radar while most of the blogosphere has been looking in other directions. Her whole career has been like that from Georgy Girl to The Damned to The Night Porter to A Farewell to Arms to The Verdict to The Swimming Pool. Finally at 69 she's getting the kind of awards recognition that's usually reserved for her grander contemporaries.
Her most "under the radar" recent (compared to the films you mention, Magilla) performances have been in the troika - Under the Sand (2000), Swimming Pool (2003) and Heading South (2005). Since then she has appeared in many films but only in small parts with the exception of I, Anna (2012), which was directed by her son, and now 45 Years (2015). By the way, don't think she made a film called A Farewell to Arms. Or did she?

I meant Farewell, My Lovely.

I did mention Swimming Pool, but yes, she was equally amazing in Under the Sand. I haven't seen Heading South of I, Anna. know she's done a lot of cameo work lately, but I only one I think I've seen is Never Let Me Go.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Reza wrote:

She deserved a nomination for her cameo as a deranged barfly in Life During Wartime.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm beginning to think Rampling could go all the way with 45 Years. She won the Silver Bear in Berlin earlier in the year, but has been under the radar while most of the blogosphere has been looking in other directions. Her whole career has been like that from Georgy Girl to The Damned to The Night Porter to A Farewell to Arms to The Verdict to The Swimming Pool. Finally at 69 she's getting the kind of awards recognition that's usually reserved for her grander contemporaries.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:Not that I'm not perfectly happy for the long-deserving Charlotte Rampling. I do, though, wish we could have had a few of these stellar best actress candidates last year, when we really needed them. Someone really good is going to be left off this year.
I could see Charlotte Rampling pulling Tom Courtenay along with her in Best Supporting Actor if she starts becoming the consensus "old-timer" nominee in lead. 45 Years is Rampling's movie and Courtenay is the only other major character, but I think he's off screen enough that it wouldn't be too unjust to put him in supporting. It would be something like the 50th anniversary of his first nomination which might be some kind of record and you know how AMPAS loves setting records on nomination morning.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote: I do think what Magilla said, about this being a generational thing, has some merit, though I'd put it differently from the way he articulated it. It's not that people grew up on video games, but that they've grown up in a world where "action movies" -- movies where action itself seems to supersede story -- not only exist (they didn't, in the same way, when I was younger) but completely dominate the Hollywood landscape. It's also a world where people don't stop reading comic books when they reach adolescence (as I did, and I was a voracious Superman fan as a kid); they graduate to graphic novels. This combination has many people younger than me immersed in fantasy genres, and when they come across a superior example within it, they're apt to see it as serious art, where I -- and my age compatriots -- are more likely to see it as just a tastier version of junk food.
I have nothing against science fiction, fantasy or films made from comic books. I certainly have nothing against today's younger generations who are a lot smarter, more broadminded and seemingly up to the challenges of today's world than any generation before them.

I was delighted that L.A. gave the supporting actress award to Alicia Vikander for Ex Machina, a very smart science fiction/fantasy film and a lovely film to look at despite the darkness at its core. I am glad to see writer Alex Garland picking up awards for his first directorial effort.

I don't think George Miller has ever made a good movie. With the exception of Lorenzo's Oil, which isn't a great film but tells a compelling story, most of his films have been rubbish. I didn't like any of the early Mad Max movies, couldn't stand The Witches of Eastwick and had a hard time sitting through Happy Feet. I kind of liked Babe: Pig in the City, but the original, which he produced but didn't direct, was better.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I thought Tangerine or The Assassin may have picked up something here.

Aside for Rampling's win for a film I have yet to see I was thrilled to see White God come second place in Foreign Film. Other than those all very ho-hum.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “88th Predictions and Precursors”