NYFCC Winners

For the films of 2015
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: NYFCC Winners

Post by Mister Tee »

Sorry; I thought you knew where that was.

http://uaadb.cinemasight.com/viewtopic. ... 5&start=15
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OK, thanks, but I meant the NY Critics thread you mentioned you updated.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

We love you Mister Tee!!

There is mention of almost all categories. :)

Btw, which discussion are you talking about where you updated the results?
Last edited by nightwingnova on Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:I've updated the NY Critics thread to include this year's results, and I've included Buchanan's other murmurings. Among other things, he notes the three top finishers for best actor are all campaigning for supporting at the Oscars: Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo and Jacob Tremblay.
Link?
On his Twitter account

https://twitter.com/kylebuchanan
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:I've updated the NY Critics thread to include this year's results, and I've included Buchanan's other murmurings. Among other things, he notes the three top finishers for best actor are all campaigning for supporting at the Oscars: Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo and Jacob Tremblay.
Link?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

According to Kyle Buchanan of Vulture (not a NY voter but, shall we say, a friend of some who are), Mad Max: Fury Road ran second for both best film and best director, coming close to winning the latter. So Mad Max is a real thing among certain critics. (Spotlight ran third)

I've updated the NY Critics thread to include this year's results, and I've included Buchanan's other murmurings. Among other things, he notes the three top finishers for best actor are all campaigning for supporting at the Oscars: Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo and Jacob Tremblay.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:We could also be looking at a Best Actress Oscar slate that consists of five actresses nominated for films with one-word titles, which is something else that I don't think has occurred before in any category:

Ronan in Brooklyn, Brie Larson in Room, Jennifer Lawrence in Joy, Cate Blanchett in Carol and either Rooney Mara in Carol or Lily Tomlin in Grandma.
I pointed this out a couple months ago in another thread.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

A few more Saoirse Ronan facts:

I just discovered that we have something in common. We were both born in the Bronx and moved away at an early age, she at 3, me at 4, albeit decades apart.

Ronan was originally cast as Kitty in the 2012 version of Anna Karenina, but dropped out and was replaced by Alicia Vikander. We could be looking at both of this year's female Oscar winners having been cast in the same role in the same film. I don't think that is something that has ever happened before.

We could also be looking at a Best Actress Oscar slate that consists of five actresses nominated for films with one-word titles, which is something else that I don't think has occurred before in any category:

Ronan in Brooklyn, Brie Larson in Room, Jennifer Lawrence in Joy, Cate Blanchett in Carol and either Rooney Mara in Carol or Lily Tomlin in Grandma.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Every now and again someone breaks some sort of record with critics award.

This year we have such a case. Saorise Ronan in the youngest ever recipient of the Best Actress award from this group. As a matter of fact she is the youngest ever actress overall when including the supporting actress winners.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Nice to see Timbuktu take Foreign Film over Son of Saul.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:A few curveballs, then a logical finish (i.e., the best reviewed film actually wins).

Magilla, congrats on your Ronan instinct. But your seeming Carol-phobia cost you dearly.

Patting myself on the back for In Jackson Heights.

This is all just getting started. I wouldn't put money on any major category yet.
You're the man, Tee.

I didn't have a Carol phobia, I just thought they did their Haynes thing with Far from Heaven and would go in another direction this time around. Both Carol and Brooklyn are New York movies but Keaton's award shows their love for Spotlight despite it being set in Boston. It also suggests that Keaton was a strong contender for Supporting Actor and was likely elevated just to give something to his film. That, and the fact that none of the more highly touted contenders for Best Actor had a consensus.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

As I'm sure everyone will note, Carol essentially repeats the sweep Far From Heaven made with this group in its year, winning virtually every category it could compete in, yet losing Best Actress.

Of course, as others will point out, only one of those Far From Heaven victories carried over to the Oscars, but I'm feeling sunnier about Carol's odds overall, and think today at least sets the movie's campaign off to a strong start. (And I was actually surprised by the Screenplay win -- I'd thought Picture/Director/Cinematography were likely, but that the writing category could have easily gone elsewhere.)

I actually think Keaton (and Ruffalo) fall into that category of performances that COULD be argued for lead or support. On one hand, both guys have pretty sizable parts in Spotlight -- they both drive much of the narrative, and are never really absent from the story for all that long. But at the same time, the movie does resist making any one character the central focus -- the Spotlight TEAM is really the protagonist -- so I don't think it's an egregious move to argue that everyone in the ensemble is a supporting player either.

Saoirse Ronan got a big boost today -- I'd thought her a solid contender, but not as strong a force as Blanchett, Larson, or Lawrence (or even Mara, should she be properly categorized) in an increasingly overstuffed field. With so many Best Actress hopefuls attached to legit Best Picture contenders, it'll be interesting to see how the women who have to stand virtually alone as their films' best chance at recognition (Tomlin, Rampling) will fare.

Rylance cements what already looked like a likely nomination in Supporting Actor.

I think if Kristen Stewart had done Clouds of Sils Maria and Still Alice in reverse, and more importantly, if she'd been competing with Still Alice in THIS year's Supporting Actress field, she'd be a likely nominee. But I think Sils Maria is a bit too esoteric for Oscar nominations.

I agree with Mister Tee, that Inside Out and Anomalisa probably both had sizable pockets of support -- if the vote totals are revealed, it'll be interesting to see how close that race was.

In Jackson Heights gets a NY Doc win the day after being left off the Oscar shortlist; sadly, what Wiseman does just isn't what the Academy's Doc branch likes.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

mlrg wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote: Everyone is quiet around here with these...no thoughts, cheers or outrage?
Strong support for Carol so far. I bet it's taking Best Picture
I told you so
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

This Keaton curve ball is interesting! Might be a one-off, but who knows.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

A few curveballs, then a logical finish (i.e., the best reviewed film actually wins).

Magilla, congrats on your Ronan instinct. But your seeming Carol-phobia cost you dearly.

Patting myself on the back for In Jackson Heights.

This is all just getting started. I wouldn't put money on any major category yet.

Return to “88th Predictions and Precursors”