NBR Winners

For the films of 2015
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: NBR Winners

Post by Big Magilla »

Interesting Variety article on the NBR dinner Tuesday night.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/matt- ... 201673027/
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

mlrg wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
Bog wrote:
Feels like home...I'd not have been "around" here for damn near 20 years if it was to expect people to change how they are toward others...and as Sonic stated I've already addressed my "lack of interest" as being quite the contrary. I absolutely agree, however, the only conclusion someone as astute as yourself could reach as to why some members do not rack up dozens of posts per calendar day is an ad hominem attack on his/her pure lack of gray matter!

No offense to Sonic whatsoever (or the remainder of the UAADB faithful), but I absolutely do not adore anyone here in an online community. As far as my scraps of cerebrum can locate, said word means 'love deeply; worship' - I know we live in an intense 2015 hyperbolic chamber, but I sure hope that describes no one's feelings toward others here, no? Or should I say it another way...I apologize for my slight, I adore you, Italiano, the same (maybe more) than I adore anyone else here...needy much?

I've read this twice and I still don't understand what it means. My fault, I'm sure.
Me neither.

Maybe it's because we are foreigners, who knows.... :wink:
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

ITALIANO wrote:
Bog wrote:
Feels like home...I'd not have been "around" here for damn near 20 years if it was to expect people to change how they are toward others...and as Sonic stated I've already addressed my "lack of interest" as being quite the contrary. I absolutely agree, however, the only conclusion someone as astute as yourself could reach as to why some members do not rack up dozens of posts per calendar day is an ad hominem attack on his/her pure lack of gray matter!

No offense to Sonic whatsoever (or the remainder of the UAADB faithful), but I absolutely do not adore anyone here in an online community. As far as my scraps of cerebrum can locate, said word means 'love deeply; worship' - I know we live in an intense 2015 hyperbolic chamber, but I sure hope that describes no one's feelings toward others here, no? Or should I say it another way...I apologize for my slight, I adore you, Italiano, the same (maybe more) than I adore anyone else here...needy much?

I've read this twice and I still don't understand what it means. My fault, I'm sure.
Me neither.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I just checked and Mad Max: Fury Road has an 89 score on Metacritic based on 47 reviews and a whopping 97% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 313 reviews. So maybe its award(s) should not come as so much of a surprise, whatever its merits.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Bog wrote:

Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Sonic Youth wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:I'm very happy for Mad Max's win, because it brings this discussion board (which I've been following all year) into its natural element. I haven't seen the movie, of course....
Nobody forces you - or your adored Sonic Youth - to read discussions you aren't interested in. I'm sure that both you and Sonic Youth can find places more suited to you and your brain (which we haven't had any sign of in all these years, honestly, but that we trust MUST exist... somewhere...).
Same old Italiano. Two comments praising the discussion quality and the wonderful people on this board, and he responds as if it were a deliberate slight.

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

ITALIANO wrote:
Bog wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:I'm very happy for Mad Max's win, because it brings this discussion board (which I've been following all year) into its natural element. I haven't seen the movie, of course....
Describes me to a "Tee" as well...word for all 30 words my exact sentiments...love it Sonic! Thank (insert "higher power") this discussion is mostly practical and sophisticated and level-headed...so many broken-hearts on other sites coming 1/14/16 at 8:30EST

(Likely the lurking combined with lack of film viewing due to similar symptoms of occupation + amazing little toddler girl shenanigans = if we haven't seen Steve Jobs yet we sure as hell aren't considering Mad Max)
Nobody forces you - or your adored Sonic Youth - to read discussions you aren't interested in. I'm sure that both you and Sonic Youth can find places more suited to you and your brain (which we haven't had any sign of in all these years, honestly, but that we trust MUST exist... somewhere...).
Same old Italiano. Two comments praising the discussion quality and the wonderful people on this board, and he responds as if it were a deliberate slight.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Bog wrote:
Describes me to a "Tee" as well...word for all 30 words my exact sentiments...love it Sonic! Thank (insert "higher power") this discussion is mostly practical and sophisticated and level-headed...so many broken-hearts on other sites coming 1/14/16 at 8:30EST

(Likely the lurking combined with lack of film viewing due to similar symptoms of occupation + amazing little toddler girl shenanigans = if we haven't seen Steve Jobs yet we sure as hell aren't considering Mad Max)
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Speaking of Mad Max critical love, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome made it to number 7 on Roger Ebert's top ten list for 1985. The only thing I remember from it is Tina Turner asking Mel Gibson, "You can shovel shit, can't you?"
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I'm very happy for Mad Max's win, because it brings this discussion board (which I've been following all year) into its natural element. I haven't seen the movie, of course....
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

OscarGuy wrote:
Not everyone would consider the Campbell's Soup can a work of art, but it is.
No, the Campbell's Soup can in itself isn't a work of art. Andy Warhol's (obsessive, repetitive) use to it is considered art by some (not by everyone), and it definitely became iconic. But the soup can itself isn't a work of art.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:Well back in 1982 the LA Film Film Critics awarded Max Max 2 (aka The Road Warrior) Best Foreign Film so it's not the first time a Mad Max film has been awarded by one of the 'major' groups.
And the NBR award for Best Foreign Film went to Mephisto with Das Boot runner-up, but that was a different era.
It certainly was. I can understand the win for Mad Max 2, it technically brilliant and one of the most thrilling films ever made. I simply don't get the love for Mad Max: Fury Road. Sure, it's better than Beyond Thunderdome but most films are.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:Well back in 1982 the LA Film Film Critics awarded Max Max 2 (aka The Road Warrior) Best Foreign Film so it's not the first time a Mad Max film has been awarded by one of the 'major' groups.
And the NBR award for Best Foreign Film went to Mephisto with Das Boot runner-up, but that was a different era.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Well back in 1982 the LA Film Film Critics awarded Max Max 2 (aka The Road Warrior) Best Foreign Film so it's not the first time a Mad Max film has been awarded by one of the 'major' groups.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “88th Predictions and Precursors”