Independent Spirit Award Nominations

For the films of 2015
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Independent Spirit Award Nominations

Post by Precious Doll »

Great to see Tangerine pick up 4 major nominations, even if one of them is in the wrong category and Kevin Corrigan receive some well deserved recognition for Results.

I saw a trailer to Room last weekend when I went to see 99 Homes. I appreciate that it has gotten positive reviews and people seem to love it but the trailer makes it look utterly insufferable. Oscars aside I will only watch it because of my fondness for two previous films What Richard Did & Adam and Paul that Abrahamson has directed. So far he is 2 for 2 (I'm very much on the fence with Frank & Garage).
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Because I'm never sure which films are eligible, I can never make full sense of the Spirit nominations -- some films that seem excluded (Youth, Brooklyn, 45 Years, The Danish Girl) may have been disqualified for foreignness. Room does seem the big "loser", but it's not uncommon for random films to be left out here and do pefectly well elsewhere.

Apropos what BJ says about those three non-lead actress categories: as I started to think about predicting the NY critics awards, I realized I have no confidence about who will even be the contenders in any of those slots. (Actually, one from here who might score in NY is Jason Segel, who's pretty transformative in The End of the Tour). And it's great that the Spirits have joined the Globes in properly placing Mara, but the insistence of the bloggers might negate the push.

I do agree that Mya Taylor is evety bit as much the lead in Tangerine. I'm afraid Tangerine is going to be one of my not-with-the-cheering-section films this year. For me it had the qualities of indies I least like -- a cheap look and lots of shrill acting. I didn't hate the movie -- I thought it gathered momentum, finally, in the last half hour (partly due to having a professional actor, Ransone, grounding the screeching matches a bit), but I think the extravagant praise it's received is at least partly (understandable) support for its subject matter.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

This Indie Spirit roster seems pleasingly off-Oscar this year -- after a year where the Spirits were dominated by major Oscar players like Birdman, Boyhood, Selma, and Whiplash, this year's slate seems a lot more old-school in terms of honoring tinier stuff that won't have a ton of other award shows to receive recognition.

Carol and Spotlight stand out immediately as the two films nominated heavily here that will likely carry over to the Oscars, though the fact that none of Spotlight's actors got nominated sticks out as this year's fluky omission from a movie they otherwise liked. On the other hand, Room probably had the worst day of Oscar-player entries, missing Best Feature, Director, and any actors outside Larson.

Once again, Rooney Mara's attempt at category fraud gets thwarted -- :D -- yet apparently voters had no problem splitting up the Tangerine girls into two categories, which maybe lends some credence to flipp's argument that it's much harder to commit fraud when it's flying under the radar rather than being the only thing anyone can talk about. (As for those Tangerine actresses, are they the first transgender actors to get nominations here? I imagine even if they're not, that list is pretty short.)

Couldn't you see a scenario where NONE of the nominees from Actor, Supporting Actor, and Supporting Actress make the Oscar lineup? Only the trio of Best Actress nominees (Blanchett, Larson, Mara) seem like top-tier Oscar players at this point, though I'm starting to feel like my Cynthia Nixon hunch might be building some traction, and I do really hope Idris Elba hangs on there in the Supporting Actor category. (Certainly Beasts of No Nation's strong showing this morning gives that movie a much-needed jolt.) Paul Dano, of course, could Oscar contend too, as well as Jennifer Jason Leigh, albeit for a different film, with the extra-credit Anomalisa performance only helping those odds. (Is she the first-ever voice-over performance nominated here?)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Independent Spirit Award Nominations

Post by The Original BJ »

Best Feature
Anomalisa
Beasts of No Nation
Carol
Spotlight
Tangerine

Best Director
Cary Joji Fukunaga – Beasts of No Nation