Where We Stand, Post-Festival

For the films of 2015
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: Where We Stand, Post-Festival

Post by ITALIANO »

flipp525 wrote:What about Tilda Swinton in A Bigger Splash? Marco or Precious Doll, have you seen it? Or is this just another in a long line of fabulous lead Swinton performances destined to be ignored by the Academy (The Deep End, We Need to Talk About Kevin, Julia, I Am Love, etc.)?

Edited to add: Okay, it looks like it doesn't get a US release date until next spring. So nevermind.

It will only open here in two weeks, but it was shown in Venice in September. Italian critics had only bad things to say about it, but then the director isn't much loved here - even the reaction to I Am Love was quite cold in Italy - not so, of course, in the US. Even in this case it's possible that the foreign press will be kinder. Tilda seems to have a very good role - written for her, needless to say - but as you said, if ever, it will be for 2016 Oscars.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

flipp525 wrote:What about Tilda Swinton in A Bigger Splash? Marco or Precious Doll, have you seen it? Or is this just another in a long line of fabulous lead Swinton performances destined to be ignored by the Academy (The Deep End, We Need to Talk About Kevin, Julia, I Am Love, etc.)?

Edited to add: Okay, it looks like it doesn't get a US release date until next spring. So nevermind.
Regretfully no. I was thinking that the release date may get pushed forward if all more of these Oscar bait films keep tanking at the box office but than again Best Actress is looking pretty full.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

What about Tilda Swinton in A Bigger Splash? Marco or Precious Doll, have you seen it? Or is this just another in a long line of fabulous lead Swinton performances destined to be ignored by the Academy (The Deep End, We Need to Talk About Kevin, Julia, I Am Love, etc.)?

"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I now have two friends who have seen The Revenant and say it's remarkable, Best Picture-worthy.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I didn't think the new trailer to Joy looked great at all. Although any trailer that features "To Love Somebody" wins points from me. There are murmurings that it needs more time in the editing room.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There was a second trailer released this week. That's the one everyone's been talking about.

I would love for Brie to get into the Oscar race. She should have been nominated for Short Term 12. She would be very deserving for this.

Mara is being campaigned in support. While that doesn't always guarantee category placement (see Keisha Castle-Hughes), with two actresses in competition, voters may want to split their votes.

Of course, the fact that this is shaping up to be an impressive year for female performances, it could be tough all around this year.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Maybe...it just popped up on my Twitter feed this morning.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

FilmFan720 wrote:The trailer is out for Joy, and not only looks fantastic (although I loved Russell's last two Lawrence/DeNiro/Cooper collaborations more than most around here) but like it could be right up the Academy's alley. Could this be a sleeper? Could Lawrence win a second Oscar?
Hasn't that trailer been out for awhile? Or was that an abbreviated one that was available before?

I'm thinking that Jennifer Lawrence might be a little young to get two Best Actress trophies at this point, but you never know. Something tells me that Brie Larson might be the dark horse candidate here, especially after reading BJ's review of the film. I read Room several years ago and was very impressed with it. It's told entirely from the point-of-view of the little boy so I'm not sure how that's handled in the film. But it's extremely powerful stuff and Larson has been on the ascent for awhile now. This race might just come down to Lawrence v. Larson.

Rooney Mara—if she gets into lead as she rightfully should—has credentials for a win as well. I can't imagine they'd give Cate Blanchett another one so soon. It will be interesting to see where that race goes for sure.
Last edited by flipp525 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

The trailer is out for Joy, and not only looks fantastic (although I loved Russell's last two Lawrence/DeNiro/Cooper collaborations more than most around here) but like it could be right up the Academy's alley. Could this be a sleeper? Could Lawrence win a second Oscar?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Trumbo is apparently a satire. The trailer looks awful to me. Cranston and Mirren (as Hedda Hopper) seem to be playing caricatures instead of real people. What really annoys me is that the film perpetrates Kirk Douglas' self-promoting fifty-five year claim that he ended the blacklist by putting Trumbo's name on the credits for Spartacus. Trumbo himself said many people were responsible for ending it. His family gives the credit to Otto Preminger who fought the WGA to have Trumbo's name on the credits for Exodus before Douglas safely put his name on Spartacus without having to get permission, but Spartacus was released two months before Exodus so Trumbo's name appeared on screen on actor-producer Douglas' film first, which is what gives him the bragging rights.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Is Trumbo a comedy? How come? (I assume it's not a musical).
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Meryl Streep is in one scene in Suffragette. I can't see a world in which she gets any awards attention from it.

If I were a comedy filmmaker, I would be pretty annoyed with The Martian running as a comedy. Having a sense of humor is not quite the same thing as being a laugh riot.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Because I just haven't wasted enough time on this stuff already, it occurs to me that the race doesn't really come into view until after the Golden Globes, so I decided to take a look at those.

Best Dramatic Picture
The Hateful Eight
Joy
The Revenant
Spotlight
Steve Jobs

Best Comedic/Musical Picture
The Big Short
Love and Mercy
The Martian
Trainwreck
Trumbo

Best Actor in a Dramatic Picture
Johnny Depp, Black Mass
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
Tom Hanks, Bridge of Spies
Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

Best Actor in a Comedic/Musical Picture
Steve Carell, The Big Short
Bradley Cooper, Burnt
Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Matt Damon, The Martian
Bill Hader, Tranwreck

Best Actress in a Dramatic Picture
Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Carey Mulligan, Suffragette
Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl

Best Actress in a Comedic/Musical Picture
Sandra Bullock, Our Brand is Crisis
Amy Schumer, Trainwreck
Maggie Smith, The Lady in the Van
Meryl Streep, Ricki and the Flash
Lily Tomlin, Grandma

Best Supporting Actor
Paul Dano, Love and Mercy
Joel Edgerton, Black Mass
Idris Elba, Beasts of No Nation
Tom Hardy, The Revenant
Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies

Best Supporting Actress
Diane Ladd, Joy
Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Rooney Mara, Carol
Meryl Streep, Suffragette
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

Best Director
Danny Boyle, Steve Jobs
Alejandro G. Innaritu, The Revenant
Tom McCarthy, Spotlight
Ridley Scott, The Martian
Quentin Tarantino, The Hateful Eight

Best Screenplay
The Hateful Eight
The Martian
The Revenant
Spotlight
Steve Jobs
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Greg wrote:Magilla, you think The Martian has a better chance with its screenplay landing a nomination than its director?
Actually I'm thinking either Ridley Scott or Steven Spielberg will get in over Haynes or Inarritu but I'm not sure of which one so I left them both off my list for now.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Okri wrote:6. Will Beasts of No Nation actually send screeners?
Last year, they were pretty diligent about sending out Virunga screeners, even though it was available streaming, so I would imagine yes.
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “88th Predictions and Precursors”