List of submissions to the 88th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film

For the films of 2015
CalWilliam
Temp

Re: List of submissions to the 88th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film

Post by CalWilliam »

Spain's submission is "Loreak" (Flowers), by José Mari Goenaga & Jon Garaño, which is the first time ever Spain submits a film talked in Basque. I haven't seen it yet, but Magical Girl by Carlos Vermut was another option available that could have been a pretty impressive one, easily one of the best Spanish films in years.

I remember a precedent when Hedd Wyn, from United Kingdom, was nominated in 1993 (talked in Welsh) and precisely Fernando Trueba's Belle Époque had won.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: List of submissions to the 88th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film

Post by ITALIANO »

It wasn't easy for Italy this year. Our two big box-office hits -Youth and Tale of Tales - were shot in English with foreign stars. And the big winner of the local Academy Awards - the Davids - because of its opening date was eligible for the Best Foreign Film only last year (it wasn't selected). This movie, Black Souls, a sort-of family saga set in the Calabrese mafia, could have had some chances (at a nomination). So in the end - from a list of nine finalists - our committee has picked a movie which I still haven't seen (it has opened only one week ago): Non Essere Cattivo (Don't be Bad). It's already a sort-of cult movie - actually it was a cult-movie even before being shown, because its director, a controversial but very interesting artist named Claudio Caligari, died after a long illness right after shooting ended (the movie was completed by his friends and collaborators). In thirty years, Caligari directed only two movies before this one - he tried several other times, but for the Italian film industry he was considered too extreme and not commercial enough. His movies - including this - are set in the outskirts of Rome and tell stories of desperate, often drug-addicted characters - in a style which is very direct and realistic and at the same time quite powerful and even poetic. Don't be Bad has got very good reviews and, for once, is at the moment a reasonable commercial success. But I doubt that the Academy will take it intp consideration.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The Philippines has selected Jerrold Tarog's Heneral Luna as our entry this year. It's a historical biopic about one of the Philippines' greatest generals who fought the Americans during the Philippine-American War in the turn of the century. I've seen it. It's a solid, extremely well-crafted film but I doubt anyone who's not Filipino or does not have any knowledge about the background and history of this time in Philippine history will be lost and unable to relate despite the opening crawl contextualizing the film. So this is probably going to continue our streak of non-nominations.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:The big news here however has been the very good and enthusiastic reception of the Venezuelan film From Afar (Desde Allá) at the Venice Film Festival. Probably already a lock for next year submission...
Indeed, it won the Golden Lion.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

MAHEEN NUSRAT SEP 10, 2015

The Pakistani Academy Selection Committee has selected “MOOR” to be submitted for Oscar consideration in the ‘Foreign Language Film Award’ category at the 88th Academy Awards. The movie was selected by way of a secret ballot and was the overwhelming film of choice of the Committee members.

As per standard practice, films selected by each individual country’s Academy selection committee are submitted to the Academy for screening, shortlisting and voting with official Oscar nominees announced at a later date.

In 2013, the Pakistani Academy Selection Committee selected “Zinda Bhaag” as the first Pakistani film in over fifty years to be submitted for Oscar consideration in the ‘Foreign Language Film Award’ category, followed by “Dukhtar” in 2014.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will choose the final nominees for all award categories including Best Foreign Language Film by 08th January 2016. The complete and final list of Oscar nominees will be announced on 14th January 2016 with the presentation show for the 88th Academy Awards scheduled to take place on 28th February 2016.

A record number of 83 films were submitted for Oscar consideration in the Best Foreign Language Film category at the 87th Academy Awards held earlier this year.

‘Moor’, directed, produced and written by Jamshed Mahmood Raza aka Jami, is based on the decline of the railways system in Pakistan. ‘Moor’, a Pushto word which means mother, follows the tragic story a family pulled apart through corruption and circumstances out of their control. The film is set against the backdrop of the surreal landscapes and roads of Balochistan.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Venezuela has submitted Gone with the River (Dauna, Lo que Lleva el Río), from director Mario Crespo. The film had its world premiere appearing at the NATIVe sidebar of the Berlinale, “Dauna, lo que lleva el río” or “ Gone with the River” may be considered the most important Venezuelan film of the year... at least it seems to be the most "socially relevant". It tackles the country’s indigenous people by telling a story about transculturization. The film was not a box office hit and the reviews were good but hardly raving. At Venezuela's most important film festival, it even failed to grab the Best Picture award, even though it won the Jury Special Prize as well as the awards for Best Cinematography, Editing and Score. I haven't seen it (I actually avoided it which I regret by now), but having seen the trailer on youtube it looks better than I thought. But the film was so low key in its regional impact that I doubt it will gain any momentum so I don't have any hope of it making even the short list... we'll see...

The big news here however has been the very good and enthusiastic reception of the Venezuelan film From Afar (Desde Allá) at the Venice Film Festival. Probably already a lock for next year submission...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

mlrg wrote:Portugal's official submission is Arabian Knights Vol. II
Well I was one third right with this one. Such a shame that all 3 parts Arabian Knights couldn't be considered as one film, which essentially they are. At least Portugal submitted the best part but I don't like it's chances. Dixie, the canine star, who plays a crucial and extended role in the second part of Volume II might help it make the shortlist, along with the pedigree of the film.

It's hard to say what say what people who only see Vol. 2 would think of it. Personally, I think all 3 'volumes' should be seen one after the after within a couple of days at the most.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Portugal's official submission is Arabian Knights Vol. II
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The Pakistani film industry is finally getting their act together after decades of mediocre films. We're now seeing a major revival here with "quality" films being made - some pretty good. The committee is going to submit our entry for the Oscar on September 15.

Very few submissions have been made since the Foreign Film award became a regular category in 1956. Pakistan submitted entries in 1959 and 1963 which failed to reach the top 5. Then there was silence although there was a boom in film production during the 1960s which collapsed during the 1980s thanks to the oppressive Military dictatorship in power.

With the Pakistani "New Wave" in place we started submitting films again on a regular basis - Zinda Bhaag (2013) and Dukhtar (2014). This is exciting news for us and better late than never.

Sharmeen Obaid's Oscar & Emmy win in the documentary category was a major catalyst in this revival of Pakistani cinema. We have 5 pretty much cutting edge films playing simultaneously in theatres today - all very different in subjects - and it's great to see the public flocking to see them at all the modern ciniplexes across the country.

I really don't think our submission will make it to the top 5 but I'm grateful that our cinema has revived.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

mlrg wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:This year is turning out to be are rather limp year for non-English speaking films. It is very hard to pick which way countries will go, given their slim pickings, which I think helps make Son of Saul an early favourite to win.

My only certain predictions for country selections are:

Iceland: Rams
Taiwan: The Assassin
Portugal: Arabian Knights
Columbia: Land and Shade
Arabian Nights are actually three separate films. It's hard to tell what will be submitted.
True, but they can be viewed as one film in three parts and unlike, for example, Krzysztof Kieslowski Three Colours trilogy which are three seperate films with very minor linkage, it is essential to view all the parts of Arabian Knights in their assigned order to appreciate Gomes complete vision.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Precious Doll wrote:This year is turning out to be are rather limp year for non-English speaking films. It is very hard to pick which way countries will go, given their slim pickings, which I think helps make Son of Saul an early favourite to win.

Arabian Nights are actually three separate films. It's hard to tell what will be submitted.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

This year is turning out to be are rather limp year for non-English speaking films. It is very hard to pick which way countries will go, given their slim pickings, which I think helps make Son of Saul an early favourite to win.

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I could only speculate what my country, The Philippines, will submit this year. They could go for Lav Diaz again with From What Is Before, which is an hour longer than Norte. Other possibilities include That Thing Called Tadhana (a superb romantic comedy, but too lightweight for Academy members), Bwaya ("Crocodile") and Taklub, Brillante Mendoza's latest. It's a narrative drama about Typhoon Haiyan victims. I've seen it. Good film but not his best work. Oddly enough, despite being internationally recognized, I don't think we ever submitted a Brillante Mendoza film to the Oscars.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

List of submissions to the 88th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film

Post by Precious Doll »

They have started rolling in. First up as per Wikepdia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... guage_Film

Hungary: Son of Saul (which is probably going to win)
Romania: Aferim!

Return to “88th Predictions and Precursors”