Best Picture

For the films of 2015
mlrg
Associate

Re: Best Picture

Post by mlrg »

The real precursor to watch out next year is the Phoenix Filc Criticis Society. Their last Best Picture winners:

The King's Speech
The Artist
Argo
12 Years A Slave
Birdman
Spotlight

:D
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

As I understand it, though, Best Picture at the Oscars only counts the top 5, not all of them, so ours won't be that interesting. I also haven't seen all the films yet, so I cannot vote entirely. I may toss mine in (after all, how many Oscar voters actually saw all their films?)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

OscarGuy wrote:Lowest total Oscars for a Best Picture winner since The Greatest Show on Earth in 1952. Rebecca in 1940, You Can't Take It With You in 1938, All Quiet on the Western Front in 1929/30 and Wings in 1927/28 are the only others.

Mutiny on the Bounty in 1935, Grand Hotel in 1931/32 and The Broadway Melody in 1928/29 are the only ones to win only one award (Grand Hotel from only one nomination).

This is how preferential balloting yields unexpected results. Polarizing films like Mad Max and The Revenant get top votes, but also no votes in some cases allowing a steady, respected film to emerge victorious.

This theory held true in our preferential ballots on this site - will be interesting if spotlight won on this board as well.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Lowest total Oscars for a Best Picture winner since The Greatest Show on Earth in 1952. Rebecca in 1940, You Can't Take It With You in 1938, All Quiet on the Western Front in 1929/30 and Wings in 1927/28 are the only others.

Mutiny on the Bounty in 1935, Grand Hotel in 1931/32 and The Broadway Melody in 1928/29 are the only ones to win only one award (Grand Hotel from only one nomination).

This is how preferential balloting yields unexpected results. Polarizing films like Mad Max and The Revenant get top votes, but also no votes in some cases allowing a steady, respected film to emerge victorious.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I predicted Spotlight mostly due to the weighted balloting process. The Revenant and The Big Short have way too many detractors to pull it off. I'm also pretty sure fans of the other Best Picture nominees would have ranked Spotlight on their #2's and #3's. It's a film no one really "hates".
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

So sweet!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Two in a row for....Michael Keaton.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Third surprise of the night. Now who says these awards are too predictable?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Best Picture

Post by OscarGuy »

Spotlight
Wesley Lovell

Return to “88th Nominations and Winners”