Categories One-by-One: Director

For the films of 2015
flipp525
Laureate

Re: Categories One-by-One: Director

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy wrote:One-trick pony? I guess Witches of Eastwick, Lorenzo's Oil, Babe: Pig in the City and Happy Feet are all set in the Mad Max universe? You can hate Mad Max: Fury Road, that's fine, but when you go off on these rants against the film and claim demonstrably untrue things, it gets very grating.
I actually have to agree with Wes here. Magilla, you do have a tendency to create your own narratives to support your predictions, whether or not they exist in the real world.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

One-trick pony? I guess Witches of Eastwick, Lorenzo's Oil, Babe: Pig in the City and Happy Feet are all set in the Mad Max universe? You can hate Mad Max: Fury Road, that's fine, but when you go off on these rants against the film and claim demonstrably untrue things, it gets very grating.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's all about the back story. This year will go down in Oscar history as the year of the protest over diversity. The idea of making Mexico's Inarritu only the third director to win back-to-back Oscars can be seen as proving that the Oscars are diverse and, irony of ironies, they don't have to honor anyone from the complaining group to do it.

Even without that particular back story, Inarritu would be the clear favorite, a director whose projects over the last decade have been part of Oscar history. None of his competition can match that.

McCarthy is an actor first, a writer second and a director third. His previous films as a director (The Station Agent, The Visitor, Win Win) were all actors' showcases as is Spotlight. He will win for his original screenplay and his film has a strong possibility of winning Best Picture. Oscar voters will likely see that as enough for him.

Abrahamson does a terrific job of directing two disparate halves of the same film, but he's not particularly well known and his film is not considered a front-runner for Best Picture. His nomination falls under the category of "welcome to the club".

McKay has a terrible track record as a director, despite which he is a strong contender for his adapted screenplay. He's lucky to be nominated for his direction.

Miller is a one-trick pony. He's the Sylvester Stallone of directors, beloved by many, but perhaps unlike Stallone, not likely to win.
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

I only see three possible outcomes, not about fifteen as some people claim, but right now I'm predicting George Miller. Firstly, if The Revenant wins Best Picture (the most plausible scenario), Iñárritu won't get the whole ticket, that would be crazy and so unprecedented. Even John Ford and Joseph L. Mankiewicz did not manage to achieve that. Is the Academy going to break all records? Are they really thinking The Revenant is THAT good? On the other hand, if Spotlight or The Big Short prevail, Iñárritu could win the second in a row without his movie getting the top prize and everything would make sense considering the guilds. The last way would be Spotlight or The Big Short along with Miller in directing. Any other result would surprise me very much. McCarthy, McKay and Abrahamson don't stand a chance.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
anonymous1980
Laureate

Categories One-by-One: Director

Post by anonymous1980 »

The nominees:

Adam McKay, The Big Short
George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road
Alejandro G. Inarittu, The Revenant
Lenny Abrahamson, Room
Tom McCarthy, Spotlight

Is Inarittu really going to win two years in a row? I think so. Although one could argue McKay, Miller or McCarthy COULD upset but it looks like, no matter what happens in Picture, this seems to be Inarritu's.

Return to “88th Nominations and Winners”