Trivia, anybody?

For the films of 2015
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Trivia, anybody?

Post by Big Magilla »

As I mentioned in the other thread, Inarritu becomes the first director since Robert Wise 49 years ago to be nominated again the year after winning.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Boy & the World is the first Latin American film to be nominated for Best Animated Feature and Alê Abreu is the first Latin American to be nominated in this category.

Yoshiaki Nishimura is the first person to receive Best Animated Feature nominations in consecutive years.

If Netflix-funded Winter on Fire counts as a Ukrainian film, I believe it is the first Ukrainian film to ever receive an Oscar nomination.

Not sure about this, but is Bear Story the first Chilean film ever to receive an Oscar nomination outside the Foreign Language category?

None of the eight nominees for Make-Up are American. I think this has happened earlier, in 1982, when there were only three nominees, but I'm not 100% sure. Love Larson and Eva von Bahr are the first Swedes nominated in this category, for the first Swedish film nominated in this category also.
Eenusch
Graduate

Post by Eenusch »

1) In both of Saoirse Ronan's two nominations she's been up against Cate Blanchett (2015 - Carol; 2007 - I'm Not There)

2) This year will be the 80th presentation of the Supporting Actor/Actress awards.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Bridge of Spies is Steven Spielberg's 10th Best Picture nomination, moving him past John Ford for sole possession of 2nd place (and 3 behind record holder William Wyler)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Precious Doll wrote:Jordan received its first Best Foreign FIlm nomination.
So did Colombia.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

dws1982 wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
dws1982 wrote:She's the first nominated for adapting her own novel though.

Fannie Flagg..? Though she had a co-screenwriter of course.
Yeah, I forgot about that one.

Makes me wonder why there was so much hype last year from Sasha Stone and others that Gillian Flynn had to be nominated? They acted like it was a personal insult to all female writers.
That's how Sasha rolls. Anything that can be spun as an affront to women/minorities MUST be seen that way (didn't you read on the racial outrage of Meryl Streep beating Viola Davis?).

Not so much trivia as an oddity -- two women named Kate/Cate each get their seventh nominations on the same day. And, if my foggy brain is remembering correctly, their nominations break down exactly the same: four in lead, three in support.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

ITALIANO wrote:

Yeah, I forgot about that one.

Makes me wonder why there was so much hype last year from Sasha Stone and others that Gillian Flynn had to be nominated? They acted like it was a personal insult to all female writers.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Jordan received its first Best Foreign FIlm nomination.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Steven Spielberg's films now have a total 128 nominations. He just broker Wyler's record that was 127.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Franz Ferdinand wrote:Emma Donoghue joins the list of authors who have adapted their novels/works to an Oscar nod.
She's also actually the first woman nominated for adapting her own work. (Gillian Flynn was unable to achieve this last year).
I think Lillian Hellman beat her to that by nearly 75 years. She's the first nominated for adapting her own novel though.
Last edited by dws1982 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Franz Ferdinand wrote:Emma Donoghue joins the list of authors who have adapted their novels/works to an Oscar nod.
She's also actually the first woman nominated for adapting her own work. (Gillian Flynn was unable to achieve this last year).
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Emma Donoghue joins the list of authors who have adapted their novels/works to an Oscar nod.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I put this in the other thread, but Rooney Mara's 71 minutes in Carol makes her the Supporting Actress nominee with the largest amount of screen-time in the history of the category.

Have there ever been two Best Actress candidates playing characters with the same name before? Brie Larson and Jennifer Lawrence both play characters named "Joy."

Charlotte Rampling prevented a Best Actress slate comprised solely of one-word film titles.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Uri
Adjunct

Trivia, anybody?

Post by Uri »

I'll start.

By being nominated for the second time for playing the same role, Stallone joins Bing Crosby, Peter O’Toole, Al Pacino, Paul Newman and Cate Blanchet.

As we mentioned earlier, the 39 year gap between these two nominations is second only to Henry Fonda's 41 year gap between his only two nominations.

Blanchet scored a second nomination for a film directed by Todd Haynes. In the past she was nominated twice for films directed by Shekhar Kapur. Only Walter Brennan (William Wyler, Howard Hawks), Spencer Tracy (John Sturges and thrice with Stanley Kramer), Greer Garson (Mervin LeRoy, Tay Garrent) and Vanessa Redgrave (Karel Reisz, James Ivory) did it before. Judi Dench is still the only one who scored more than once with three different directors (John Madden, Richard Eyre and Stephen Freaes).

Jenifer Lawrence got her third nomination for a David O. Russell’s film. She joins Bette Davis (William Wyler), Jenifer Jones (Henry King), Laurence Olivier (Laurence Olivier), Arthur Kennedy (Mark Robson), Marlon Brando (Elia Kazan), Spencer Tracy (Stanley Kramer) and Robert De Niro (Martin Scorsese).

And this nomination by Lawrence only cemented a 2 yo bit of trivia: David O. Russell directed no less than 4 actors to more than one nomination each – they are the American Hustle foursome. No other director managed it – few had done it thrice: Billy Wilder (with William Holden, Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine), William Wyler (Brennan, Davis and Fay Bainter) and Martin Scorsese (De Niro, Joe Pesci and DiCaprio).

Return to “88th Nominations and Winners”