Documentary Finalists

For the films of 2015
CalWilliam
Temp

Re: Documentary Finalists

Post by CalWilliam »

I've already seen Listen to Me Marlon, and I'd say it's at least interesting, but given the critic's great accolades, I don't know where is the breakthrough cinematic thing in it nor the revelatory or deep knowledge of Marlon's persona in order to consider it the ultimate documentary about him. There are few things in sight here that ''Songs My Mother Taught Me'' hadn't previously talked about of (never mind that was a book), though it's a nice, competent document, which will draw to those who still vibrate with Brando's mumbling, because we can hear his own voice throughout the film. It will probably make the final cut, but it's not a major factual film at all in my opinion.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It isn't that it's ineligible. It was on the original list of 124 eligible submissions (http://www.cinemasight.com/88th-oscars- ... announced/.

This is the narrowing list. (http://www.cinemasight.com/88th-oscars- ... shortlist/
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

So... What is the reason why NYFCC winner In Jackson Heights is not eligible?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Academy's documentary rules are different than for standard pictures. Documentaries become eligible through the festival circuit, I believe (or at least mostly).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

FilmFan720 wrote:
jack wrote:Perhaps I've missed something, but how can Going Clear be eligible given that it was broadcast on HBO. I can only assume that it had a theatrical release prior?

Also, if it wins, would that make it the first film/doc to win the Oscar and the Emmy for best of it's category?
CitizenFour just did it
So it did. I stand corrected.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

jack wrote:Perhaps I've missed something, but how can Going Clear be eligible given that it was broadcast on HBO. I can only assume that it had a theatrical release prior?

Also, if it wins, would that make it the first film/doc to win the Oscar and the Emmy for best of it's category?
CitizenFour just did it
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

According to IMDb. Going Clear had a limited run beginning March 20th. It wasn't shown on HBO until March 29th.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Perhaps I've missed something, but how can Going Clear be eligible given that it was broadcast on HBO. I can only assume that it had a theatrical release prior?

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Documentary Finalists

Post by Mister Tee »

Down to a list of 15.

“Amy,” On the Corner Films and Universal Music
“Best of Enemies,” Sandbar
“Cartel Land,” Our Time Projects and The Documentary Group
“Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief,” Jigsaw Productions
“He Named Me Malala,” Parkes-MacDonald and Little Room
“Heart of a Dog,” Canal Street Communications
“The Hunting Ground,” Chain Camera Pictures
“Listen to Me Marlon,” Passion Pictures
“The Look of Silence,” Final Cut for Real
“Meru,” Little Monster Films
“3 1/2 Minutes, 10 Bullets,” The Filmmaker Fund, Motto Pictures, Lakehouse Films, Actual Films, JustFilms, MacArthur Foundation and Bertha BRITDOC
“We Come as Friends,” Adelante Films
“What Happened, Miss Simone?,” RadicalMedia and Moxie Firecracker
“Where to Invade Next,” Dog Eat Dog Productions
“Winter on Fire: Ukraine’s Fight for Freedom,” Pray for Ukraine Productions

Return to “88th Nominations and Winners”