Best Animated Feature Eligibility List

For the films of 2015
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Best Animated Feature Eligibility List

Post by OscarGuy »

If ALL of the submissions are released, there will be five. However, 16 is the bare minimum required to have a 5-nominee slate, so if any ONE of these doesn't release to meet eligibility requirements by the end of the year, then there will be four nominees. Here's my post on it:

http://www.cinemasight.com/88th-oscars- ... shortlist/
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Precious Doll wrote:Does anyone know how many nominees are there likely to be in this category?
I believe there will be five.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Does anyone know how many nominees are there likely to be in this category?
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Kung Fu Panda is a 2016 release, so I don't know why it would have ever gotten a qualifying run.

I wouldn't count on Good Dinosaur being a guaranteed nominee. It hasn't opened yet and so far everyone has been unimpressed with the trailers.

Never underestimate the power of GKIDS. When Marnie Was There is a very likely nominee and probably has a better shot than at least The Good Dinosaur.

Also, don't let critical acclaim guarantee a slot. Remember how The Lego Movie swept the critics awards and everyone thought it was a guaranteed Oscar winner and didn't even show up on the list? Anomalisa might have critical acclaim, but the animation department has never taken kindly to interlopers. Think The Lego Movie, The Simpsons Movie, The Adventures of Tintin, A Scanner Darkly, Waking Life...While Tintin might be the outlier in this group, all the others were critically acclaimed films that were securing quite a few awards and nominations from precursors and then were shockingly (not to me in the case of the two Linklaters) overlooked.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Best Animated Feature Eligibility List

Post by anonymous1980 »

Anomalisa
The Boy And The Beast
Boy And The World
The Good Dinosaur
Home
Hotel Transylvania 2
Inside Out
Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet
The Laws Of The Universe – Part 0
Minions
Moomins On The Riviera
The Peanuts Movie
Regular Show: The Movie
Shaun The Sheep Movie
The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water
When Marnie Was There

Inside Out is a lock. Followed by The Good Dinosaur, The Peanuts Movie, Shaun the Sheep Movie and Anomalisa (which is a big question mark since the Academy has yet to nominate an R-rated adult animated feature but I think the critical praise for it will drive it to a nomination). I guess The Little Prince and Kung Fu Panda 3 are not gonna get qualifying runs.

Return to “88th Nominations and Winners”