The Official Review Thread of 2015

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Re: The Official Review Thread of 2015

Post by The Original BJ »

I co-sign a lot of what dws wrote about 99 Homes. It deals with a subject matter rarely shown in as much specific detail as it is here, and is emotionally moving from pretty much beginning to end. It also makes for a pretty grim companion piece to The Big Short -- this is a story about the people who DIDN'T make it rich off the financial crisis, and it's unsurprisingly not as fun.

I particularly liked the way Garfield's own eviction scene parallels his first scene as the one doing the evicting -- not in obvious matchy-matchy ways, but in a manner that shows it's clear that he understands exactly what this family is going through, and the tactics they're trying to use to avoid leaving. Garfield is very good in this movie, and here he shows just the right amount of empathy for people dealing with the same issues he did, while at the same time knowing that he must carry out his job, with maybe a slight twinge of hope (and maybe even arrogance?) that he can pull this off in a more sensitive manner than those who evicted him.

Shannon's character is very interesting too -- he's a guy who's been hardened over the years by people hating him for a lot of things that actually aren't his fault. He's made a lot of money off of other people's misfortunes, but he's not wrong when he argues that he shouldn't be blamed because people who made bad investments are losing their homes. Of course, with this general callousness also comes a lot of other nefarious behavior, and the way in which he's very eager to use Garfield as a pawn in his own corrupt business dealings recalls a lot of the slimy charm of Michael Douglas's Gordon Gekko. (I can see your argument, dws, about Shannon being a lead. But for me, I'd view him as similar to J.K. Simmons in Whiplash, another actor in a sizable and not dissimilar part, who I accepted in support simply because he had solidly less screen time comparatively than his younger co-star. Shannon is absent from a good amount of scenes here, whereas I can only remember ONE scene without Garfield. I'm a lot less inclined to go all Casey Affleck on people honoring an actor in support when there are least seems to be more of a gray area.)

I had exactly the same issues dws did with some of the narrative believably in those two moments. I didn't buy at all that Garfield would end up working for Shannon as quickly and easily as he did -- it seems to me that the stronger and more active narrative choice would have been for Garfield himself to see an opening (thereby making himself even more complicit) and really have to fight for Shannon to hire him. And I agree that the ending doesn't really work -- Garfield's actions seem pretty unlikely, and the homeowner's action following this seems even less logical. That said, I was glad the movie skirted the ending I thought it was heading toward -- that probably would have come off ridiculous, and would have added up to even less narratively.

On the whole, a movie with some flaws, but well-acted by the two men (and Laura Dern, as well) and mostly absorbing/compelling throughout.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

KRAMPUS
Cast: Adam Scott, Toni Collette, David Koechner, Alison Tolman, Emjay Anthony, Conchata Ferrell, Krista Stadler, Stefania LaVie Owen.
Dir: Michael Dougherty.

Just in time for the holidays, I think it's high-time we have another twisted Christmas horror-comedy movie. This time, it's about Krampus, a demonic sort of anti-Santa Claus figure who punishes people who gave up on the Christmas spirit who terrorizes a dysfunctional family. This film has some decent laughs and some decent scares. It doesn't quite reach the heights of, say, Gremlins but it has enough teeth, ghoulishness and Christmas-y heart for me to give a recommendation. It helps to have a strong cast which this does. Only time will tell if this will be a holiday staple.

Oscar Prospects: None.

Grade: B
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

THE LITTLE PRINCE
Cast: Jeff Bridges, Mackenzie Foy, Rachel McAdams, Riley Osbourne, Paul Rudd, Albert Brooks, James Franco, Paul Giamatti, Ricky Gervais, Benicio Del Toro, Bud Cort, Marion Cotillard (voices).
Dir: Mark Osbourne.

We actually studied the Antoine de Saint-Exupery book in high school (or is it middle school? I forgot). I personally like the book but I always found it kind of depressing. We were also made to watch the 1974 version by Stanley Donen and with the exception of Bob Fosse's number, I didn't like it all that much. Having said all that, I kind of loved this movie. Purists will balk at the thought of encasing the story of the book with a framing device concerning the story of a little girl and her uptight mother. They will REALLY get mad at the additional non-book third act which has a happier ending. However, I will say that all of it is in service of expounding the themes in the book making it both more cinematic and palatable towards those who the message of the book is for: Children. Beyond that, it is a wonderful animated feature combining stop-motion, CGI and hand-drawn animation beautifully. I overheard a kid as I was going out saying that she wants to see it again....and I agree with her.

Oscar Prospects: Apparently, this won't be eligible for this year's Oscars since it's going to be released in the U.S. on March. So this is technically a 2016 film and should be in the conversation for Best Animated Feature in 2017.

Grade: A-

IN THE HEART OF THE SEA
Cast: Chris Hemsworth, Benjamin Walker, Cillian Murphy, Tom Holland, Brendan Gleeson, Ben Whishaw, Michelle Fairley, Jordi Molla, Frank Dillane, Donald Sumpter, Charlotte Riley.
Dir: Ron Howard.

It is not a cinematic adaptation of Moby Dick but rather about the true story that inspired Herman Melville to write his famous novel. It's about a whaling ship that got destroyed by a white bull sperm whale. It's a pretty good movie. That's it. End of story. That's basically the problem. It's a slickly made, entertaining killer animal meets survival story. The performances are good. The special effects are very good. I was never bored. It's a good time at the movies. But I did feel that a director with more balls would have made something really special with it. They teased it a bit every now and then but director Ron Howard opted not to go any deeper. It's no masterpiece but a decent enough flick.

Oscar Prospects: It has decent shots at tech categories: Cinematography, Visual Effects, Makeup & Hairstyling, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing.

Grade: B.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

DOPE
Cast: Shameik Moore, Tony Revolori, Kiersey Clemmons, Kimberly Elise, Blake Anderson, Zoe Kravitz, Keith StanfIeld, A$AP Rocky.
Dir: Rick Famuyiwa.

Three geeky teenagers living in a crime-ridden neighborhood get themselves involved in drug-dealing. There are lots of things here that are commendable. For one thing, the twist on the protagonists being geeky outcasts (but still black/minorities) makes it stand out from other films of this sub-genre. That and the humor of it all. Although it has its moments, the film doesn't quite get its tone right because it tries to mix in some dark, serious moments and tries to make a statement about race and such and such. I thought that part was mishandled. But one has to admire the effort and the cast is perfectly charming especially Kiersey Clemmons as the lesbian friend.

Grade: C+
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

THE GOOD DINOSAUR
Cast: Raymond Ochoa, Jack Bright, Jeffrey Wright, Frances McDormand, Sam Elliott, Anna Paquin, Steve Zahn, AJ Buckley, John Ratzenberger (voices).
Dir: Peter Sohn.

A shy cowardly young Apatosaurus gets lost and befriends a young cave boy as he tries to find his way home. I will say that this is mid-tier PIXAR, but mid-tier PIXAR is better than most movies coming out these days so that is not that big of a swipe on the film itself. As expected this film is beautiful. Yes, yes, it's kind of common to say PIXAR's films are beautiful but this one really is. The CGI backgrounds of this looks almost photorealistic. The story could have been a bit stronger but, hey, it hits where it matters. It's still sweet, funny and touching. It may not be PIXAR's best but still a worthwhile animated feature.

Oscar Prospects: I saw this being campaigned for Cinematography. That would not be undeserved. It should make it in Animated Feature and deserves an Original Score nomination too.

Grade: B+
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

MISTRESS AMERICA
Cast: Greta Gerwig, Lola Kirke, Heather Lind, Matthew Shear, Kathryn Erbe, Michael Chernus, Jasmine Cephas Jones, Cindy Cheung.
Dir: Noah Baumbach.

This film is an utter delight. A college freshman in New York City comes in contact and befriends her soon-to-be older stepsister, an immature flighty 30 year old, and writes a story about her. This is sort of, kind of or at least feels like a spiritual sequel to Frances Ha. Though it is funnier than that film, in a way, at least in the context of the character Greta Gerwig plays, kind of darker and a bit more cutting. Greta Gerwig once again manages to play a character that if written or performed wrongly would be a highly unlikable irritant but again, manages to win you over and become someone charming and a character whom you, for some odd reason, root for. It's superbly written and the rest of the cast is great too. Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig are on a roll. (FYI: I think this is the better Noah Baumbach film of this year).

Oscar Prospects: Greta Gerwig and the screenplay are not unworthy contenders.

Grade: A.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I liked The Visit substantially better than The Village or Lady in the Water -- both of which I hated -- simply because it managed to actually create some effective bump-in-the-night scares without taking itself too seriously, the way those other movies so clearly did, to huge detriment. (I've skipped the last few Shyamalan films, apparently without missing much.)

I have to disagree, though, about the Big Twist. The writer in me was SO angry at that moment, because during the opening scenes of the film, I thought, it would be the most logical end for this story to end in this manner, so clearly Shyamalan has something else up his sleeve. But, nope, the big surprise was basically exactly what I thought it would be ten minutes into the movie. Given that I also thought the ending to The Village was pretty obvious very early on in that movie, I have to call foul on the idea that Shyamalan even has twist endings most of the time, because I think his skills at plot surprise are so ineffective. (The Sixth Sense, for me at least, remains the one great exception.)

Oh, and the diaper scene -- you know which one -- is one of the most unnecessarily disgusting things I have ever seen in a movie. Talk about questionable taste!
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

I liked The Visit somewhat but I have to admit I don't understand how it's really a "return to form" or anything like that--I don't think it's noticeably better than Lady in the Water or The Happening, for example, both of which were attacked WAY too harshly. Shyamalan's a very, very talented storyteller with questionable taste and not a lot of depth ... The Visit fits into his wheelhouse just fine.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

THE VISIT
Cast: Olivia DeJonge, Ed Oxenbould, Deanna Dunagan, Peter McRobbie, Kathryn Hahn, Celia Keenan-Bolger.
Dir: M. Night Shyamalan.

Calling this the best M. Night Shyamalan film since Unbreakable (or give or take Signs) is damning it with faint praise but this is in fact a return to form for him. Two young teenage kids go to visit their grandparents whom they never met and they see them exhibiting strange behavior. Although needlessly a found footage film, this film does have some good scares AND some good laughs and managed to balance the two elements quite deftly. Like most of Shyamalan's work, this one has a big third act twist....and it works. Still not quite The Sixth Sense but a vast improvement over his several other films, thank goodness. He still has a long way to go. I'd like to think he can redeem himself cinematically in the long run.

THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY - PART 2
Cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Donald Sutherland, Julianne Moore, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, Jena Malone, Natalie Dormer, Patina Miller, Willow Shields, Bryan Claflin, Mahershala Ali, Michelle Forbes, Elden Henson.
Dir: Francis Lawrence.

This is the final film of the Hunger Games franchise in which Katniss Everdeen must lead the rebellion against the dictatorial President Snow. Finally. I have a mixed relationship with the [i[Hunger Games[/i] franchise. I enjoy a lot of them a lot but I'm not all that passionate about them. This is no different. It's a solid piece of pop entertainment. I think it was a mistake to split it into two. I think it would've been better as one 2.5 hour film. Both films feel way too padded out. I like the fact that none of the stellar cast phone it in. They all give totally committed performances. If you're a fan of the franchise, I think you will be satisfied but if you're not, you will still be entertained. It's not groundbreaking but it's an exciting enough action flick with a bit more substance than usual.

Oscar Prospects: Original Song maybe but Oscar hasn't nominated it for anything and I don't think it will start now.

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

AMY
Cast: Amy Winehouse.
Dir: Asif Kapadia.

Now, I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm an Amy Winehouse fan. I mean, I like a few of her songs (I think "Rehab" is a fantastic song) and I think she's a great talent who was taken away from us too soon. But you need not be a fan to find her story compelling, sad and tragic, as depicted in this terrific documentary. Through the editing and construction for footage from various sources (home movies, private videos from family/friends, news broadcasts, paparazzi footage, TV appearances, etc.) and new voice-overs from family, friends and colleagues, this tells the rise and fall of the worldwide pop sensation. It chronicles her humble beginnings, her background, her mental health problems, various addictions and eating disorders and of course her undeniable artistry and talent. Though it's sensational stuff, it never once feels exploitative or judgmental. It's simply a matter-of-fact, empathic portrait of a sensitive, troubled artistic soul.

Oscar Prospects: Since this film is largely composed of previously produced/edited footage, it might have a tough time getting in Documentary Feature since I heard a lot of Academy member frown upon such documentaries.

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

flipp525 wrote: No mention of Jane Fonda's hyped-up cameo? Is there enough there for a Beatrice Straight-style nomination? I think the last time someone got this close would've been either Vanessa Redgrave in Atonement or Lynn Redgrave in Kinsey.
She was good and I can definitely see how she can get nominated. But I know people who hated her performance as much as there are people who will love it.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

anonymous1980 wrote:YOUTH
Cast: Michael Caine, Harvey Keitel, Rachel Weisz, Paul Dano, Jane Fonda, Ed Stoppard, Paloma Faith.
Dir: Paolo Sorrentino.

I actually count myself as a fan of Paolo Sorrentino's previous work, the Oscar-winning The Great Beauty. Much to my surprise, I find out that some of my fellow cineastes are vocal detractors of the film. But no matter, I was still looking forward to the follow-up. A retired conductor and an elderly film director trying to work on his new script check into a countryside European hotel for rest and relaxation and look back on their lives. If the previous film is reminiscent of La Dolce Vita, I can definitely see traces of 8 1/2 in this one. Personally, I didn't like this one QUITE as much as The Great Beauty but it's still a pretty darn good piece of work. The performances of Michael Caine, Harvey Keitel and Rachel Weisz all shine and help give this film a lot of weight and poignancy.

Oscar Prospects: Strong contender for Best Actor and Best Original Song ("Simple Song # 3").

No mention of Jane Fonda's hyped-up cameo? Is there enough there for a Beatrice Straight-style nomination? I think the last time someone got this close would've been either Vanessa Redgrave in Atonement or Lynn Redgrave in Kinsey.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

YOUTH
Cast: Michael Caine, Harvey Keitel, Rachel Weisz, Paul Dano, Jane Fonda, Ed Stoppard, Paloma Faith.
Dir: Paolo Sorrentino.

I actually count myself as a fan of Paolo Sorrentino's previous work, the Oscar-winning The Great Beauty. Much to my surprise, I find out that some of my fellow cineastes are vocal detractors of the film. But no matter, I was still looking forward to the follow-up. A retired conductor and an elderly film director trying to work on his new script check into a countryside European hotel for rest and relaxation and look back on their lives. If the previous film is reminiscent of La Dolce Vita, I can definitely see traces of 8 1/2 in this one. Personally, I didn't like this one QUITE as much as The Great Beauty but it's still a pretty darn good piece of work. The performances of Michael Caine, Harvey Keitel and Rachel Weisz all shine and help give this film a lot of weight and poignancy.

Oscar Prospects: Strong contender for Best Actor and Best Original Song ("Simple Song # 3").

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

RAMS
Cast: Sigurður Sigurjónsson, Theodór Júlíusson
Dir: Grímur Hákonarson.

This is Iceland's entry to the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar category this year. I believe this is the first film from Iceland I've ever seen and I'm happy to say that it's quite wonderful. Two brothers who despite living next door to one another in their family sheep farm hasn't spoken to each other for forty years. One day, they're forced to team up when a crisis involving their precious family breed of sheep is threatened. This is no landmark masterpiece but it does illustrate why I love film. Despite the fact that I know nothing about Icelandic sheep farming, this film manages to engage me on a human level with these two characters despite them being so far off and different from me. It's funny and kind of moving. It kind of reminds me that deep down, we're all the same. Apart from that, it is brilliantly shot and acted. This is worth seeking out.

Oscar Prospects: I don't know if it will make the 5 or even the 9 finalists but it's not impossible.

THE ASSASSIN
Cast: Shu Qi, Chang Chen, Zhou Yun, Satoshi Tsumabuki, Ethan Juan, Fang-Yi Sheu.
Dir: Hou-Hsiao Hsien.

This is Taiwan's Foreign Language Film Oscar entry. Oh, my goodness! This film is so beautiful, it's absolutely jaw-dropping. The cinematography, production design and costumes are all to die for. This is Hou-Hsiao Hsien's big martial arts film. It's about a lady assassin who is assigned to kill a cousin of hers who was once her betrothed. Don't be fooled. It may be a martial arts film but it's still a Hou-Hsiao Hsien's film through and through. If you're familiar with his cinema, he is a filmmaker who takes his sweet time telling his story, allowing scene to go on long and cares more about atmosphere and character rather than plot. This is no different. Yes, there is action. But it's used very sparingly (and spectacularly, may I add, it's almost as if he's saying, "Yes, I can do it, I just choose not to!") It will probably test most people's patience but somehow I think this film will stay with me a long time. Yes, it's one of the best films of the year.

Oscar Prospects: If it's eligible, it SHOULD get in Cinematography, Production Design and Costume Design. I think it has a shot at Foreign Language Film but only if the committee saves it.

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

MUSTANG
Cast: Güneş Şensoy, Doğa Doğuşlu, Elit İşcan, Tuğba Sunguroğlu, İlayda Akdoğan, Nihal Koldaş, Ayberk Pekcan, Erol Afşin, Burak Yigit.
Dir: Deniz Gamze Ergüven.

Though it's in Turkish and set in Turkey, this is actually France's submission to the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar race. It's about five sisters, orphaned and being raised by their grandmother and uncle in a very conservative remote village in Turkey. After a "scandalous" incident that involved them playing with boys (GASP!!!), they are basically imprisoned in their homes and one by one are married off. They try to escape this conservative, oppressive, patriarchal society. I haven't seen The Virgin Suicides but this film is often compared to that so may be high time I see that one. This is a wonderful film. Obviously a cautionary feminist tale about the oppressiveness of patriarchy but it doesn't hit you over the head with it. It's dark for sure but manages to find moments of genuine humor and hope and at the same time doesn't overly-demonize the traditions of this remote village. It's definitely worth seeking out.

Oscar Prospects: Hmmm. Does it have a shot? I don't know. It's wonderful but it doesn't make me stand up and say, "YES!" It might get lost amongst flashier competition.

Return to “2015”