Catgories One-By-Three: The Shorts

For the films of 2014
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Re: Catgories One-By-Three: The Shorts

Post by FilmFan720 »

Mister Tee wrote: As Sabin said after seeing it with Big Hero, Feast is like a food-centered version of the opening montage in Up. It's quite charming. Buy my sense is voters have usually shied away from picking the most widely-seen entries in this category -- even under the new rules last year, they passed on Get a Horse.
But Paperman won the year before.

I didn't see Get a Horse! in 3D, and it wasn't impressive. I understand that it was much more enjoyable in 3D, but my guess is a lot of voters watched it on screener or the 2D version shown as part of the Shorts package. That might have played a part.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

So I watched the animated shorts on pay-per-view (minus Feast, because god forbid Disney should mix with the hoi polloi -- but I'd already seen that with Big Hero 6).

A pretty high quality group (way more impressive than the animated feature slate).

The Bigger Picture has some acid-trippy visuals, and very grown-up subject matter. As someone who's too recently lived through tending an illness, I found I didn't want to watch it after a while. But I admire its artistry.

A Single Life is exceedingly clever but even by category standard extremely brief -- blink and it's over. Then again, maybe voters will find that a relief.

As Sabin said after seeing it with Big Hero, Feast is like a food-centered version of the opening montage in Up. It's quite charming. Buy my sense is voters have usually shied away from picking the most widely-seen entries in this category -- even under the new rules last year, they passed on Get a Horse.

Me and My Moulton is deceptively insightful -- watching from a child's point of view, showing how parents convince themselves they're doing best for their children's interests but actually please themselves. Apparently these filmmakers have already won the category, and might do so again.

But The Dam Keeper is the longest, most wide-ranging (if not the most profound) of the nominees, with something of a feel-good ending after some dark passages, and inventive visuals besides. I'd say it's the most likely winner, but, since I rarely see many of the nominees in the category, my predictive experience is pretty slim.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Oscar.com now has trailers for all the Animated Short Films. My new ranking for this category is:

1 - Feast
2 - The Dam Keeper
3 - Me And My Moulton
4 - A Single Life
5 - The Bigger Picture
Greg
Tenured

Catgories One-By-Three: The Shorts

Post by Greg »

Because most of us have very limited knowledge of the Animated, Documentary, and Live Action Short Categories, I decided to start one thread covering all three of them. Most of what I know about these comes from the trailers I watched at Oscar.com.

For Live Action, I did see The Phone Call online and really liked it; however, I liked the other two trailers at Oscar.com more than the trailer for The Phone Call. My slight preference is for Pavaneh over Aya. Oscar.com has no trailers for either Boogalo And Graham or Butter Lamp.

For Animated, my ranking for the trailers are:

1 - The Dam Keeper
2 - Me And My Moulton
3 - A Single Life

There are no trailers for either The Bigger Picture or Feast.

For Documentary, my trailer ranking is:

1- White Earth
2- Joanna
3 - Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1
4 - Our Curse

There is no trailer for The Reaper.

Return to “87th Nominations and Winners”