Categories One-by-One: Original Song

For the films of 2014
dws1982
Emeritus

Re: Categories One-by-One: Original Song

Post by dws1982 »

Greg wrote:5: "Grateful" - Beyond The Lights
Okay conventional rom-com song.
For what it's worth the movie's actually not a rom-com. It's actually quite an over-the-top melodrama, objectively bad, but with a certain conviction and verve that I respect somewhat. The song is just closing credits filler, though, which is odd, since the movie has a lot of music in it. (Not sure how much is original though.)

I'd probably vote for the Glen Campbell song, but "Glory" won't be a bad winner either.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

The Original BJ wrote:I've had "Everything is Awesome" stuck in my head since I saw The LEGO Movie -- it's a pretty damn catchy number. And I agree with anonymous, that the song is used in a fun context throughout the movie, first as a parody of a sort of conformist anthem, and then as something more joyous by movie's end. Of all of the nominees, it's the one that's easiest to recall simply based on seeing the film. And yet, I wonder if it might be deemed as just too silly for the top prize, too much of a pop confection, despite being an entertaining one.
I prefer the (unauthorized) slowed-down version.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Four songs that are the only nominees from their films, and, amazingly, one that would would have been had the Best Picture field not been expanded.

I haven't seen Beyond the Lights to know if "Grateful" is at least used in an interesting context or not, but it's basically standard Diane Warren fare. Which is to say, bland pop. I rate its chances virtually zero.

"I'm Not Gonna Miss You" certainly has a moving backstory to it, and perhaps that could garner it some votes, alongside votes from those predisposed to vote for the obvious veteran on the ballot. But the song by itself doesn't strike me as anything major, and I just don't see it making enough noise to prevail. (This is the other nominated film I haven't seen, but I assume that will be true of most voters as well, so any knockout emotional moment on-screen that accompanies the song -- if there even is that -- will only have minor impact on the race.)

I've had "Everything is Awesome" stuck in my head since I saw The LEGO Movie -- it's a pretty damn catchy number. And I agree with anonymous, that the song is used in a fun context throughout the movie, first as a parody of a sort of conformist anthem, and then as something more joyous by movie's end. Of all of the nominees, it's the one that's easiest to recall simply based on seeing the film. And yet, I wonder if it might be deemed as just too silly for the top prize, too much of a pop confection, despite being an entertaining one.

Like Mister Tee, I'm not totally inclined to rule out "Lost Stars," not least because I think it's a very memorable piece of music. (I'm surprised folks are knocking it so much, actually.) It's a song that's repeated numerous times throughout Begin Again, a film all about music. If you're voting for the song best used within the context of the movie, this is probably your choice. But, perhaps even more significantly, if you're picking good old-fashioned melody, this is DEFINITELY your choice, and I do think there are a sizable number of Academy voters (especially in the older age brackets) less inclined to vote for the rap/hip-hop element of the other option.

BUT...I do think "Glory" still has to be counted the frontrunner, namely because it's really the only place for Selma partisans to rally, as well as those suddenly looking to make sure the Academy doesn't get more flak for shutting out the film completely. And it is a powerful song, with a lot of super-timely references in the lyrics, that make the number feel like a rousing call to action. And it's played over end credits that are very stirring, making it a perfect send-off to the movie. Given that the Academy has shown a willingness in recent years to vote for rap (in both cases, as upset winners), I'm not inclined to think the song's genre will torpedo its chances when it otherwise seems to be the frontrunner.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

None of these look very good out of context.

"Glory" is a rap song and an anthem blended together. Loved the anthem, hated the rap. Still, it is the best of the lot and will undoubtedly win if for no other reason than as a consolation prize for Selma being otherwise ignored.

I loved "Everything Is Awesome" within the context of The Lego Movie but that's because "awesome" is my least favorite of all the over-used words out there (although "amazing" has become a close second) and I laughed hysterically at the way the film skewers it over and over with this song. Out of context, however, it sounds like an endorsement, not the put-down it is supposed to be.

I loved Glen Campbell's cross-over country- pop-rock in the late 60s and early 70s, and the story behind "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" is a real heartbreaker but tonally it's a long way from "Galveston".

The other two songs are rather bland but it's a kick to see former child star Danielle Brisebois from Archie Bunker's Place nominated for an Oscar nearly twenty years after her last screen credit.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

"Everything Is Awesome" works best in context. I don't know if you've seen The LEGO Movie but the song was presented as a generic, ubiquitous overplayed pop song that everyone in the LEGO world listens to constantly as a symbol of the status quo and of conformity. But as the film goes along, the song somehow changes and becomes an anthem of non-conformity and embracing imagination and people's differences by the end credits. It's why it works so brilliantly in the movie.
Greg
Tenured

Categories One-by-One: Original Song

Post by Greg »

I just listened to all five of the Oscar-nominated songs on YouTube. My rankings are quite ironic, considering my taste in music.

1: "Glory" - Selma

This is my overwhelming favorite. I am not a fan of either Hip-Hop, except for Jay-Z's "Empire State Of Mind," or of religious/inspirational music. "Glory" blends both, but does so with such a moving crescendo of emotion that I start to choke up by the end. What a song.

2: "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" - Glenn Campbell. . . I'll Be Me

I am also not a fan of country music. This is largely a conventional country song, but the way it uses the lyric "I'm not gonna miss you" in place of what would be the conventional lyric "I'm gonna miss you," in relation to Campbell's condition, adds an ironic poignancy.

3: "Everything Is Awesome" - The Lego Movie

Fun by silly animated film song.

4: "Lost Stars" - Begin Again

Good, but conventional, indie-movie song.

5: "Grateful" - Beyond The Lights

Okay conventional rom-com song.

Return to “87th Nominations and Winners”