Nomination Records

For the films of 2014
flipp525
Laureate

Re: Nomination Records

Post by flipp525 »

Pretty sure that Bradley Cooper is the first actor to achieve back-to-back nominations for films with the same first word in the title (American Hustle, American Sniper)
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

FilmFan720 wrote:Bennett Miller has directed a Best Actor nominee in 3 straight films (his first 3 films). Has this ever happened before?
Laurence Olivier directed himself to Best Actor nominations in each of his first three efforts: Henry V, Hamlet and Richard III.

Sidney Lumet has a string of four consecutive films with Best Actor nominations: Albert Finney in Murder at the Orient Express, Al Pacino in Dog Day Afternoon, Peter Finch and William Holden in Network and Richard Burton in Equus.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

In 1964 Peter O'Toole was nominated for playing Henry II in Becket. Anthony Quinn, who played the role on Broadway in 1960 was nominated the same year for Zorba the Greek.

1964 was also the year Edith Evans was nominated for The Chalk Garden the same year Gladys Cooper who originated the role on Broadway was nominated for My Fair Lady. Had Audrey Hepburn been nominated for My Fair Lady as had been expected, she and Julie Andrews who originated the role was nominated and won for Mary Poppins would have made it three such rare occurrences in one year.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

FilmFan720 wrote:GOING FOR BACK-TO-BACK WINS
Dede Gardner (Picture - 12 Years a Slave / Picture - Selma)
Emmanuel Lubezki (Cinematography - Gravity / Cinematography - Birdman)
Jeremy Kleiner (Picture - 12 Years a Slave / Picture - Selma)
I think Lubezki will make it.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Bennett Miller has directed a Best Actor nominee in 3 straight films (his first 3 films). Has this ever happened before?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

GOING FOR BACK-TO-BACK WINS
Dede Gardner (Picture - 12 Years a Slave / Picture - Selma)
Emmanuel Lubezki (Cinematography - Gravity / Cinematography - Birdman)
Jeremy Kleiner (Picture - 12 Years a Slave / Picture - Selma)

BACK-TO-BACK NOMINEES
Colleen Atwood (Costume - Snow White and the Huntsman / Costume - Into the Woods)
Brent Burge (Sound Editing - The Hobbit / Sound Editing - The Hobbit)
Ethan Hawke (Screenplay - Before Midnight / Supporting Actor - Boyhood)
Richard Linklater (Screenplay - Before Midnight / Picture, Director, Screenplay - Boyhood)
Scott Rudin (Picture - Captain Phillips / Picture - The Grand Budapest Hotel)
Adam Stockhausen (Production Design - 12 Years a Slave / Production Design - The Grand Budapest Hotel and Into the Woods)
Meryl Streep (Actress - August: Osage County / Supporting Actress - Into the Woods)

BACK-TO-BACK-TO-BACK NOMINEES
Bradley Cooper (Actor - Silver Linings Playbook / Supporting Actor - American Hustle / Picture, Actor - American Sniper)
Roger Deakins (Cinematography - Skyfall / Cinematography - Prisoners / Cinematography - Unbroken)
Alexandre Desplat (Score - Argo / Score - Philomena / Score - The Grand Budapest Hotel and The Imitation Game)
Dan Sudick (Visual Effects - The Avengers / Visual Effects - Iron Man 3 / Visual Effects - Captain America)

BACK-TO-BACK-TO-BACK-TO-BACK NOMINEE
Joe Letteri (Visual Effects - Rise of the Planet of the Apes / Visual Effects - The Hobbit / Visual Effects - The Hobbit / Visual Effects - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Gladys Cooper was nominated for My Fair Lady in the same year and category as Edith Evans was nominated for the role Cooper originated in The Chalk Garden.

Somewhat different, but also noteworthy, Bette Davis and Gladys Cooper were both nominated for 1942's Now, Voyager. Two Years earlier David was nominated for The Letter which was written for Cooper and performed by her on the London stage. Jeanne Eagels' Oscar nominated performance in the 1929 version is said to have been an exact duplicate of Cooper's original playing of it.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Uri wrote:. . . Mickey Rooney, who was nominated for Black Beauty (’79) 40 years after being nominated for Babes in Arms.
Uh, that's The Black Stallion.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Robert Duvall is now tied for the most nominations for Best Supporting Actor with Claude Rains, Walter Brennan, Arthur Kennedy, and Jack Nicholson
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Uri wrote:Duvall, Norton and Streep were all nominated 16 years ago. The record is held by Burstin, Bridges and Finney – nominated for ’74 and again for 2000, but, of the top of my head, I can’t think of another trio with more than a 16 year gap.
Oops – I forgot Bainter, Boyer and Tracy, all nominated for ‘38 and then again in ’61. Shame on me.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

ksrymy wrote:
Uri wrote:Helen Mirren and Judi Dench, both nominated as leads for 2006, played Elizabeth I, as did Cate Blanchet, nominated that year in supporting.

And of course, there’s the two cases (Dench and Blanchet in’98 and Dench and Winslet in ’01) of two actresses nominated the for playing the same character, only they were not competing with each other in the same category.
Don't forget Winslet and Gloria Stuart in '97l
Ahm, I wonder why I forgot this one. Must be a mental block regarding their film.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Uri wrote:Helen Mirren and Judi Dench, both nominated as leads for 2006, played Elizabeth I, as did Cate Blanchet, nominated that year in supporting.

And of course, there’s the two cases (Dench and Blanchet in’98 and Dench and Winslet in ’01) of two actresses nominated the for playing the same character, only they were not competing with each other in the same category.
Don't forget Winslet and Gloria Stuart in '97l
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Last year Streep and Bruce Dern, by being nominated again in the same year 35 years after doing it for the first time, had the second longest shared interval between nominations (behind Hepburn’s and Fonda’s 41 year long stretch). This year she repeats the same feat with Robert Duvall – both were nominated for a second time as supporting actors back in ’79 and again this year after both accumulating nominations as leads as well as supporting in the intermediating years.

Duvall, Norton and Streep were all nominated 16 years ago. The record is held by Burstin, Bridges and Finney – nominated for ’74 and again for 2000, but, of the top of my head, I can’t think of another trio with more than a 16 year gap.

Duvall Joins the distinguished 40+ club, founded back in 1980 by none other than Mickey Rooney, who was nominated for Black Beauty (’79) 40 years after being nominated for Babes in Arms. Other members are Hepburn (48 years), Arkin (46), Newman (44), O’Toole (44), Christie (42), Duvall (42).

Last year I mistakenly stated that by Bruce Dern getting his second nomination, the Dern-Ladds became the first acting clan to have 3 multi nominated members. I’m happy to state the academy immediately rectified this wrong doing.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Helen Mirren and Judi Dench, both nominated as leads for 2006, played Elizabeth I, as did Cate Blanchet, nominated that year in supporting.

Edit – Robert Show was nominated in supporting for playing Henry VIII in A Man for All Seasons in ’66, the same year Richard Burton was nominated as lead (for WAoVW). Burton was nominated for playing Henry 3 years later in Anne of the Thousand Days.
Last edited by Uri on Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Eenusch wrote:In the Best Actor category, Eddie Redmayne is nominated for playing a character (Stephen Hawking) who was also portrayed by co-nominee Benedict Cumberbatch in a 2004 BBC TV movie called Hawking.

Has this ever happened before, where within the same category, two nominees have a connection to the same role?
I think it's happened several times, but off the top of my head the only one I clearly remember is Anne Bancroft nominated for Agnes of God the same year Geraldine Page, who originated the role on Broadway, was nominated and won for The Trip to Bountiful.

Return to “87th Nominations and Winners”