Academy to Announce All 24 Categories Live

For the films of 2014
Eenusch
Graduate

Re: Academy to Announce All 24 Categories Live

Post by Eenusch »

Wasn't there discussion a couple of years back of ABC broadcasting the nominations announcement in a prime time special?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It was Oscar producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron's idea, approved by Academy president Sheryl Boone Isaacs.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/oscars-acad ... 201345681/

It will be done in two segments. You can stick with the traditional announcement categories and have everything covered for the second segment or you can knock yourself out and do all but the short subjects, doc features and foreign language films which aren't normally part of the overall film counts.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

mlrg wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:I was shocked, but also excited. Now, I'm just dreading it. My Oscar Morning article created a "play along" PDF so people could mark off nominees as they are announced. Now I have to expand that list and boy does that not sound like fun at the moment.
why is that?

If they announce alphabetically you can now play along in all 24 categories
Yeah, but would you want to write that article on such short notice?

I really like that they're doing it and it was probably inevitable. It's an acknowledgement of how many devoted Oscar hobbyists there are out there, and how deep our interest is. Most people in general may not have any interest in who is nominated for Best Sound Editing, but over the years - thanks in no small part to the internet - a large and passionate subculture of Oscar fans relishing every detail of the season has emerged. I don't know how many but clearly there are enough if AMPAS thought it was worthwhile to expand the announcement.

OTOH, I could also picture losing an element of surprise by the time Best Picture is finally announced. And I've always kinda liked hearing the nomination counts after announcing the main categories. But this is one change from the usual routine I'd be open to.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

OscarGuy wrote:Well, mlrg, it also means that I have to do commentary on all categories instead of just the top few...indicating what hearing X would mean for Y and so forth.
It seems like this would be a lot more do-able for the top categories -- where there are rarely COMPLETELY out of the blue nominees -- whereas below the line, there are usually plenty of nominees I hadn't considered (or, in some cases, hadn't even heard of at all.)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, mlrg, it also means that I have to do commentary on all categories instead of just the top few...indicating what hearing X would mean for Y and so forth.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

So the question is, will the networks take the early feed, or hold off till their traditional 8:38? I'd guess the latter, making the further question, where does one see this additional batch? In years past, E! has been a good source, but they've been drifting further and further from covering anything timely, and a check of their Thursday morning schedule shows them featuring Keeping Up with the Kardashians.

Which gets to: is online the only place we'd be able to watch this?

Let me add: this is very exciting, though in a way daunting. It's usually hard to quickly absorb all that's come down in just the top categories; trying to figure what all these categories mean in one swoop seems like it might be overwhelming. (I will, of course, dive in with glee.)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

OscarGuy wrote:I was shocked, but also excited. Now, I'm just dreading it. My Oscar Morning article created a "play along" PDF so people could mark off nominees as they are announced. Now I have to expand that list and boy does that not sound like fun at the moment.
why is that?

If they announce alphabetically you can now play along in all 24 categories

and knowing the Editing nominees live prior to the other categories can be fun
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I was shocked, but also excited. Now, I'm just dreading it. My Oscar Morning article created a "play along" PDF so people could mark off nominees as they are announced. Now I have to expand that list and boy does that not sound like fun at the moment.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Good for the Academy!
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Academy to Announce All 24 Categories Live

Post by The Original BJ »

Well, this is interesting:

Oscar producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron announced today that actor Chris Pine, Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs, and directors Alfonso Cuarón and J.J. Abrams, on Thursday, January 15, will announce the nominations in all 24 Oscar categories at a special two-part live news conference at the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills.

“Each of the three years we’ve produced the show, we have attempted to refresh elements of the process and the telecast,” said Zadan and Meron. “This year, we’re honored to start a new tradition that celebrates the contributions of all the nominees by announcing all 24 categories. We’re thrilled that a distinguished actor and two world-class film directors are part of the initial launch.”

At 5:30 a.m. PT, Cuarón and Abrams will announce the nominees in the following categories: Animated Feature Film, Documentary Feature, Documentary Short Subject, Film Editing, Original Song, Production Design, Animated Short Film, Live Action Short Film, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing and Visual Effects.

At 5:38 a.m. PT, Pine and Boone Isaacs will take the stage to unveil the nominations for Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Cinematography, Costume Design, Directing, Foreign Language Film, Makeup and Hairstyling, Original Score, Adapted Screenplay, Original Screenplay and Best Picture.

“We’re delighted to have Chris, Alfonso and J.J. participate in the excitement of Nominations morning, which, for the first time, will highlight nominees in all categories,” said Boone Isaacs. “This new approach enables the Academy to further recognize excellence across our entire industry and underscore the full spectrum of the arts and sciences of motion pictures.”

“We’re thrilled to have such exceptional talents present the nominations in a completely new format that furthers our mission and honors all of the artists who make movies,” said Dawn Hudson, Academy CEO.

The Nominations Announcement is a live news conference where more than 400 media representatives from around the world will be gathered. The event will be broadcasted and streamed live on www.oscars.org/live.

Nominations information for all categories will be distributed simultaneously to news media in attendance and via the official Oscars website, www.oscar.com.

Return to “87th Nominations and Winners”