Makeup Shortlist

For the films of 2014
criddic3
Tenured

Re: Makeup Shortlist

Post by criddic3 »

That's really all it is. It's just a nose.
True, and that wasn't enough for the nine-time nominee The Hours to get into this category. On the other hand, Hoffa did receive a nod for essentially the same type of thing.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Original BJ wrote:As usual, some baffling exclusions.

I have no idea how Into the Woods (with Meryl Streep's Witch and tons of memorable hair work) and Unbroken (with a lot of of bodily wear-and-tear) missed this shortlist.
Maybe because she looks like Phil Spector and that has put-off voters.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Man, CGI has really turned this category into something else...
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Sabin wrote:Nobody in The Theory of Everything did a good job of making it seem like it took place over a span of decades.
True, but I'm guessing this is more for turning Redmayne into Hawking. Or maybe they just really liked the movie.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Nobody in The Theory of Everything did a good job of making it seem like it took place over a span of decades.

Guardians of the Galaxy has this in the bag. Foxcatcher and Maleficent would seem like the next likely in line. I haven't seen Maleficent so somebody else will have to tell me how good the makeup is. I haven't seen Noah either but I have a hunch that the griminess that won this award for Les Miserables is just as present in Darren Aronofsky's film so it might elbow out Foxcatcher's nose. That's really all it is. It's just a nose.
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

As usual, some baffling exclusions.

I have no idea how Into the Woods (with Meryl Streep's Witch and tons of memorable hair work) and Unbroken (with a lot of of bodily wear-and-tear) missed this shortlist.

I actually didn't think the makeup in The Theory of Everything did a particularly good job at aging up its characters very well.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Makeup Shortlist

Post by Sabin »

The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Foxcatcher, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Guardians of the Galaxy, Maleficent, Noah, The Theory of Everything.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “87th Nominations and Winners”