Original Score and Original Song official list of contenders

For the films of 2014
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Original Score and Original Song official list of conten

Post by OscarGuy »

The Academy will often disqualify scores for multiple reasons. One is too much pre-existing music included that may dilute the listener's ability to separate out original music from non-original (this is what killed The Truman Show several years ago). I'm sure we'll hear in the next week or so why it was left off.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

"Birdman"'s score is the best of the year. Is it because there was too much previously-made classical music in it too? This snub hurts.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I count about a dozen films on the song list that could fill BJ's favorite slot, "song from a movie I never heard of".

The Begin Again folk appear to want to avoid any possibility of vote-fragmenting. They could have had 2-3 nominees this year, but the don't want to fuck with Lost Stars' chances.

Is there any accompanying announcement that explains Birdman's omission? Not that I'd have put it past the branch to leave it out anyway, but to say it's not even eligible...does that mean drums-only scores are officially eliminated?

There really isn't any score on that list (from what I've heard so far) to arouse any enthusiasm. Desplat might finally win on ubiquity alone.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Original Score and Original Song official list of contenders

Post by anonymous1980 »

79 Original Song contenders list.

(No "Where No One Goes" and it looks like "A Step That You Can't Take Back", my favorite song from the Begin Again soundtrack wasn't submitted)

Eligible Original Score contenders.

(NOTE: No Birdman. Adjust your predictions accordingly).

Return to “87th Nominations and Winners”