Documentary Short Short List

For the films of 2014
Heksagon
Adjunct

Re: Documentary Short Short List

Post by Heksagon »

That's the way I imagine it also, FilmFan. In order to receive Oscar eligibility the film must have been shown at a festival, and that cut obviously has to be the one the Academy considers to be the authentic one. I imagine it's quite common that documentaries are cut to different lengths if TV broadcasters find it convenient.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I think it is the other way around. IMDb, the SXSW website and Provincetown Film Festival all list the film as 38 minutes. My guess is that the film got padded when it aired on PBS in order to fit into an hour-long TV block.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

According to the Academy's rules, an eligible Short Film has to have a running time of 40 minutes max.

Presumably, however, they are allowed to make shorter cuts for the Academy, and longer cuts for other outlets.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

FilmFan720 wrote:2 are available online right now: Crisis Hotline on HBOGo (for subscribers) and Kehinde Wiley on the PBS website.
The PBS video of Kehinde Wiley is 52 minutes long. I would have thought that would be just enough to push it into the feature category.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Documentary Short Short List

Post by FilmFan720 »

2 are available online right now: Crisis Hotline on HBOGo (for subscribers) and Kehinde Wiley on the PBS website.

OSCARS: Eight Documentary Shorts On 2014 Shortlist
by The Deadline Team
October 20, 2014 1:46pm

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has narrowed its field of Documentary Short Subject contenders to eight films from a field of 58 submissions. Of those, three to five will earn Oscar nominations, which will be announced January 14. The Oscars are February 22 at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland and will be televised live on ABC. Here is the shortlist in alphabetical order by title, with their production companies:
“Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1,” Perry Films
“Joanna,” Wajda Studio
“Kehinde Wiley: An Economy of Grace,” Show of Force
“The Lion’s Mouth Opens,” Tree Tree Tree
“One Child,” New York University
“Our Curse,” Warsaw Film School
“The Reaper (La Parka),” Centro de Capacitación Cinematográfica
“White Earth,” Weary Traveler
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “87th Nominations and Winners”